Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
iPhone 11 Ultrawide, evening, facing north, "Dramatic" color preset:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Testing out telephoto on Pixel 7 Pro

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Cacator posted:

Testing out telephoto on Pixel 7 Pro

Excellent cinematic shot, love the glow of the windows through the mist

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm looking for a tripod to use with my phone.

I used to have a cheapo one. It broke, but before it did it proved its worth by being flexible, light and easy to transport. I'd take it in a small backpack on walks or hikes, largely to take photos of my gf and I (I hate selfies).

I'm looking for a new one that will be more robust. Something like this maybe [amazon].

Any suggestions?

Content:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey cell phone photography thread, one of my friends got some adorable new kittens and I'm trying to find a camera app that will let them set shutter speed manually but also isn't four dollars a month forever to use.

The kittens in question:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's some good cats right there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Waiting for a train, 6:37am November 2022.
Samsung A52S

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Decided to run due west after the kids were in bed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

spookygonk posted:

Waiting for a train, 6:37am November 2022.
Samsung A52S

This rules.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thank you. Seemed to have lost my spark with photography this last couple of years, so that means a lot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My next phone needs a telephoto:

iPhone 11, 12mp, 5x digital zoom, with flash, plus manual cropping, no auto editing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great work!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Typical country road

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bart Simpson specifically mandated the opposite of this.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Brighton’s old pier intermittently disappeared and reappeared in thick fog the other day

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's fantastic

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lot of smoke on Tuesday:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 29, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You captured the atmosphere well. I’ve been trying, but it hasn’t really come through in my attempts. Probably get some more chances though. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Lot of smoke on Tuesday:

This is really disorienting. Is this a diorama with a real skyline in the background or some tilt shift trickery? Wide open panorama?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

This is really disorienting. Is this a diorama with a real skyline in the background or some tilt shift trickery? Wide open panorama?

I'm on the third floor of a library holding my phone against the window, using the ultrawide setting.

I actually have to tilt my phone back slightly to not cut off the last couple floors.

Same floor, about 60 feet to the left of the original shot:

Doesn't work at all due to the lens distortion.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 29, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Old house

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am teaching a photojournalism class to high schoolers. I have 24 students and only 3 DSLRs so I am going to have to rely on the students using their phones for the majority of pictures.

Are there any goon recommended online guides for IPhone and Android photography (using native apps)?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'd recommend using Lightroom Mobile, it's got pro features and it's free (I'm pretty sure anyway)

The native apps abstract the shooting away from you, whereas with LR Mobile's camera you can adjust settings and learn stuff.

I'm sure other apps mimic a camera interface but I'm not aware of any.

E: I misread, you're doing photojournalism, so you'd want fast photo capture I guess?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yes, we are needing a fast capture, edit afterwards set up.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I’d say to just use the phones’ cameras then as you already are. No need to shoot raw+jpeg, it’ll fill up the students’ storage quick.
Instead have them focus on composition and good story telling - have them be aware of what is in the frame, in the fore and back grounds, since that’s all that matters for photojournalism, to get a “point” across, the frame has to be loaded with both content and form.

(i’m not a pj, just thinking out loud, someone more qualified should probably speak about it)

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yes, we are needing a fast capture, edit afterwards set up.

bobmarleysghost posted:

I’d say to just use the phones’ cameras then as you already are. No need to shoot raw+jpeg, it’ll fill up the students’ storage quick.
Instead have them focus on composition and good story telling - have them be aware of what is in the frame, in the fore and back grounds, since that’s all that matters for photojournalism, to get a “point” across, the frame has to be loaded with both content and form.

(i’m not a pj, just thinking out loud, someone more qualified should probably speak about it)

I second the idea of using the phone's stock camera app. I think almost all Android and iPhone models have a "pro" camera mode these days. Use that. Will give you access to most of the standard "prosumer-level" camera settings (White Balance, ISO, Shutter Speed, and Manual/Auto Focus. If the student doesn't have a "pro" mode (called Pro on Samsung, not sure about on Apple products) then have them download a free camera app from their store. Just make sure whatever they're shooting with has the standard manual controls listed above.

Shooting in JPG only is a decent idea if you're not going to go into any serious post editing discussions. If you are going to do post edits, I would recommend maybe touching on the idea of RAW photos. You can edit JPGs pretty well these days, but obviously RAW will give you a LOT more leeway. Just not sure how much it may matter in a beginner HS-level course unless you are going to spend time on edits.

If you do want to do RAW+JPG, maybe set up a workflow to have the students store their files on a jump drive and then delete from their phones so that they aren't hosing their space.

I agree with bobmarleysghost that I would focus on composition and storytelling more than heavy edits. But in a beginner class, you may find a lot of students just struggling with using manual controls. I find in some of my college classes for Fine Arts that even second year students don't fully grasp manual controls like shutter/aperture/ISO and how they balance together. Maybe start the semester with just shooting Auto and working on composition from the get-go. Then move onto manual controls slowly. Show YouTube videos of tutorials about shutter/aperture/ISO (even though cell phones won't give you access to aperture controls). That just mean you have to teach shutter and ISO (and focus). Leave White Balance in auto and don't worry about it too much. All digital editing software can fix White Balance in a click. There are cool websites that will allow you to control the camera settings on a page with a sample photo to see how the different controls affect the exposure/depth of field/noise. Let them play around with that hands on.

Ideally getting your hands on some cheap DSLRs and kit lenses would be the way to go, but again I caution that first time photography students really have a slow-go of picking up the manual controls and SLR components, so it may be hard to do that in one semester.

The intro photography class at my community college starts everyone off with cellphone photography (and the college mirror's the photography syllabus of the University of Kansas).

Teach photography history! Show famous photos every day! Flood them with photos, that's the best way to start planting the idea of composition and story.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Got a great shot on my phone while photographing this concert and not having a wide lens on either camera at this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is there a website that breaks down phone by phone what each phone has in terms of camera features?