Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

excellent bird guy posted:

I have a Made in Germany Hohner diatonic button accordion, Corona 2 I believe that I bought at an accordion store last year, but it just bamboozles me, I don't know how to play it. I can do anything with strings but this this is hard for me to wrap my head around. How can I get better? I like traditional Russian/Easter European folk type music. The sort of sad minor waltzy kind of tunes.

i have only ever played the kind of accordion that plays the same note pushing or pulling, so i cant really help you much.

we had a nice accordion player come by the Theory Thread a few years ago, and she plays a similar instrument. i.e., the kind of accordion that's optimized for specific keys, and isn't meant to play chromatically in all 12. also, plays different notes depending on if you are pushing or pulling

she was there to ask about using chord substitutions, so she has something to play when jamming in keys different from the ones her instrument is set up for. might not be super helpful to you, but maybe you might find it interesting!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854015&userid=219327

based on what she said, it seems like those accordions are less effort to play overall, just as long as you're playing the kind of music it likes. if you are trying to play something else? it will fight you every step of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Hi, I am a baby learning to play my first musical instrument, the kalimba. Which thread might be appropriate for kalimba talk? I don't even know how to classify it.

i think you can post with the percussionists and drummers! also the theory thread, if you want

i did a quick search, and i think there's maybe 4 or 5 goons playing that instrument. if i were you, i would start a new thread, dress it up with a big effort-post in the OP, and PM the other kalimba players on the site to come post there

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Quick Question for you all -- I have a Mackie 802 mixing board I've used for home recording for a few years. The left channel of the main out is starting to get scratchy - I can get it to work but I have to wiggle the faders. I assume it's just dirty inside, and I'm thinking about opening it up and seeing if I can clean it out. The question - do I have a chance of fixing it? I'm not very experienced around electronics but I figure some compressed air and maybe some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs would clean up the contacts without causing too much harm. There's no service location nearby, I'd have to ship it, wait several weeks, and pay for return shipping to get it fixed. I can probably get a new one the same price as all that.

So my question is two-fold: Is it reasonable to think I can I fix it myself, and if so, any tips for doing so?

Thanks so much for any help.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm going to treat my room for sound. I've got a lot of acoustic foam but also a lot of canvas paintings sitting around. Do you think sound would generally be reflected off or absorbed by the paintings?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm going to treat my room for sound. I've got a lot of acoustic foam but also a lot of canvas paintings sitting around. Do you think sound would generally be reflected off or absorbed by the paintings?

keep the paintings imo. they might not be as good as acoustic foam, but they are much better than the bare wall. and this doesnt have to be perfect

more important to set up bass traps in the ceiling corners. i'd start with that and see if the room sounds good enough (it probably will)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

raspurtin posted:

Quick Question for you all -- I have a Mackie 802 mixing board I've used for home recording for a few years. The left channel of the main out is starting to get scratchy - I can get it to work but I have to wiggle the faders. I assume it's just dirty inside, and I'm thinking about opening it up and seeing if I can clean it out. The question - do I have a chance of fixing it? I'm not very experienced around electronics but I figure some compressed air and maybe some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs would clean up the contacts without causing too much harm. There's no service location nearby, I'd have to ship it, wait several weeks, and pay for return shipping to get it fixed. I can probably get a new one the same price as all that.

So my question is two-fold: Is it reasonable to think I can I fix it myself, and if so, any tips for doing so?

it might be a loose solder joint... you may need to learn how to safely operate a soldering iron, if that's the case.

might be a good idea to open it up and give it a visual inspection, before making any decisions.

try to take some good pictures of the insides when you take it apart. if disassembly is complicated, its wise to take pictures of each step

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

raspurtin posted:

Get a can of caig deoxit poo poo is magic

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is formal college-level music schooling worth it anymore in 2020 if you just want to learn more / better, and you're not as interested in the professional opportunities and the connections? I remember reading that people would say that "if you finish your Berklee degree, you're doing it wrong", in the sense that it's all about finding like-minded musicians and then leaving to pursue musical opportunities together, vs getting a degree or some kind of accreditation. Is that more true than ever in 2020, with so much education available online, and assuming you can get private education in person in the city where you live?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is formal college-level music schooling worth it anymore in 2020 if you just want to learn more / better, and you're not as interested in the professional opportunities and the connections? I remember reading that people would say that "if you finish your Berklee degree, you're doing it wrong", in the sense that it's all about finding like-minded musicians and then leaving to pursue musical opportunities together, vs getting a degree or some kind of accreditation. Is that more true than ever in 2020, with so much education available online, and assuming you can get private education in person in the city where you live?

moreso than ever, esp outside the classical world where academia is p much the only place TO make connections. rock, jazz, pop, etc. just go be part of the scene. you'll meet the same people, not spend thousands of dollars, plus you get to pick what you play and who you play with

it's especially not worth it if you can learn at a pace that's above a crawl. music theory is traditionally done in four semesters/two years, but you can easily condense that into 3-4mo. same for p much every class outside lessons, cuz those are already at your own pace and not a slow pace

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

DreadCthulhu posted:

Everything Jazz Marimba said is totally fair, but I'd also like to jump in and say that my undergrad music degree enabled me to learn and use tools and instruments that would have been out of reach as an individual in my income bracket. If you're at all interested in engineering and/or computer music/sound design, even if the teachers at your institution aren't good, by attending you'll probably have more opportunities to use expensive hardware and software without buying it yourself, try multichannel setups, genuine recording rooms, expensive loving microphones that are liable to explode if they record anything louder than a gnat's fart. Which is pretty cool, and lets you evaluate future possibilities without making a money or space commitment yourself. I've been employed several times on the back of those skills, but in contrast the music theory and performance skills only really led to... Music jobs.

But you know, if you want to learn theory or performance or orchestration, you'll definitely LEARN those skills at music college too. And maybe you'll have a chance to learn something you didn't think about or know about. There are definitely cheaper ways. But it's pretty cool if you can write something for an orchestra for example, and have it played by the real ensemble... Not that it ever happened for me at music school, mind, and even if you attend there's no guarantees.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

hexwren posted:

novation launchkey 37

All keys are slick plastic except for heavy wooden piano keys and the texturing is only on the black keys if there is any. Sometimes the white keys have very mildly rounded tops (Fatar TP9) but generally it’s flat and level.

Unlike a guitar a keyboard generally does not move with you - that said for that reason a keytar may not be a terrible idea. First however - check your posture, there are some deece piano tutorials that teach you what to pay attention to in terms of height and moving your arms and hands.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Anyone on here have experience selling music to music libraries for licensing?

I generally only write concert music and such, but as I'm coming close to ending a 4-year university contract looking at different possibilities and side incomes to help bridge the gap. I also have production experience and a full rig at home. Any tips appreciated. Cheers.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I am looking to kinda pick up my guitar again and in need of a practice amp.

I was eyeing the Orange Crush RT35 and the Marshall Code 25.

The Orange seems pretty solid and I can get pedals down the road for effects if I need them. But. I really like goofing around with weird noises and effects so the Marshall seems like it would be pretty drat fun. I'm just a little wary all the bluetooth and digital screens.

I would like to keep the budget under $300 as I have abandoned guitar many times in the past.

Guitar sounds I like: Melvins, The Sword, QOTSA, Sabbbath. Psychedelic and riff heavy.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 8, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Katana. THR.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Is there a thread to just post recordings that we wrote? it would be nice to just say, "I wrote this," or "Just recorded this piano cover of Threek theme from Earthbound" and post it without feeling like spamming a thread or something off-topic. I love to jam on whatever instrument, or learn a song, but I rarely record it or it goes into the void not knowing what to do with the track. Plus I'd love to hear other people's stuff that they are excited about and put effort into, that's sort of a large part in being a musician. I don't even really like talking about musicianship, it seems counter-intuitive as music is a thing that usually doesn't involve talking.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I assume this is directed at me? Is there a reason for these recommendations over what I posted?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

sporklift posted:

I assume this is directed at me? Is there a reason for these recommendations over what I posted?

If you want to sound like 80's grunge, might look for something in your price range that is solid state, with a single 15" speaker.
A lot of heavy bands use bass amps.
I'm just speaking from my experience, as my first practice amp that I used for everything was a 1x15" bass amp. It has a lot of character and it still has use even though I've 'upgraded.'
Even if you stop playing guitar, you could use the 15" amp as a really nice speaker for your tv, or computer, mp3 player, whatever! I use my amps all the time for just listening to music.

edit: here is something from a quick ebay look. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ashdown-St...SwAAOSwGx1fMDL0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hartke-HD150-150-Watt-1x15-Bass-Combo-Amplifier/363097575825?epid=1737187417&hash=item548a4d5191:g:pKwAAOSwXYJfVVrs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-TKO...aYAAOSwz21dTG3d

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 8, 2020

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

sporklift posted:

Read the last several pages of this thread. There was another poster going back and forth between an Orange and a Katana, so I'm doubting the fine folks here want to re-hash everything.

I don't own a Katana, but it seems pretty clear to me that the Katana is what you want. If you can put up with a tiny amount of software menus and the like, and can plug it into your computer with USB, it's virtually guaranteed to do everything you need within your budget.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Is there a thread to just post recordings that we wrote? it would be nice to just say, "I wrote this," or "Just recorded this piano cover of Threek theme from Earthbound" and post it without feeling like spamming a thread or something off-topic. I love to jam on whatever instrument, or learn a song, but I rarely record it or it goes into the void not knowing what to do with the track. Plus I'd love to hear other people's stuff that they are excited about and put effort into, that's sort of a large part in being a musician. I don't even really like talking about musicianship, it seems counter-intuitive as music is a thing that usually doesn't involve talking.

I post poo poo on twitter (@sajtdl) and slowly get more and more feedback so I recommend that. It's nice because the pressure is low, the time is limited, and it sort of goes away when it isn't new anymore

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What is your dream piece of kit?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I post poo poo on twitter (@sajtdl) and slowly get more and more feedback so I recommend that. It's nice because the pressure is low, the time is limited, and it sort of goes away when it isn't new anymore

I don't know how to use twitter. Its like talking into a void. I just follow a bunch of 'weird twitter' people I never interact with. Wish myspace was around, I was in the Melt Banana top 10 and met a lot of really fun creative people.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

What is your dream piece of kit?

Right now it's a Mandala drum. https://synesthesiacorp.com/mandala-mk29

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wow! That is fancy.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

I don't know how to use twitter. Its like talking into a void.

That's the part I like! It's sort of like not having accountability but if you throw some hashtags on you get some hits. Like, we tagged Ben Folds in a song and he said he liked it!

https://twitter.com/BenFolds/status/1299684054439088129?s=19

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That's the part I like! It's sort of like not having accountability but if you throw some hashtags on you get some hits. Like, we tagged Ben Folds in a song and he said he liked it!

https://twitter.com/BenFolds/status/1299684054439088129?s=19

Thats real cool dude. How do you know what tags to use #music #synth #guitar I've never followed a hash tag before. I get so irritable, I'll never ever join a discord for one, twitter is still a hard sell but I guess I should get over my anger and distrust towards huge corporate overlords.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My wife found #DocsWhoRock which started as a way for doctors who play as a hobby to share stuff. It's expanded to include other healthcare workers, other doctorates, and stuff like people who are applying to med school. I'm not sure what other communities are put there but my earliest posts I just did poo poo like #ramones #badcovers #accordion or whatever and every once in a while got a hit. I also find people posting similar-quality videos, follow them, comment on poo poo, and tag them in my stuff. Other people are also looking for a similar outlet. I've done a couple online collabs with people I met that way, now.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

I think just making a thread on this forum could be a great idea!
I used to be part of another community of musicians where we posted our music and had a simple rule ; You want feedback, you give feedback.

It really helps your craft too, since listening to others and thinking about what they do well (and where they might lack) lets you evaluate your own musicmanship, and gets the creative juices flowing too since all that thinking means time put into music.

Plus, it is always nice and cool to hear what other people think of your music, especially those who know more than "haha bass goes brrrt".

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I was supposed to start an evening-class about music-theory this week but they cancelled on me. So I'm thinking I'll roll my refund into some kind of online self-study.

How would you piece together a curriculum to learn this, with a budget of around 100-150$?:

"Through this course you'll get a broader theoretical foundation and greater understanding of your role in music, if you play in a band or sing in a choir. You'll get a basic introduction to harmony where we'll look at different types of harmony and discover how they give shape to chord-progressions and cadences in different genres. We'll analyse different pieces, sing chords and cadences and make our own harmonization of known melodies to turn theory into practice. Our goal is to make theory relevant and usable to you, enabling you to use music-theory when making or listening to music."

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

buy a used theory textbook, read the first 5-10 chapters (the first 5-7 are prolly review or just putting words to things you already know), then google ”[song you like] sheet music” and reharmonize the melody with what you learned, spend the extra 50-100$ on idk, music you wanted but there wasn’t a free pdf of?

edit: i have an old theory textbook i could mail you for 50$ shipped if you wanna do the above

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

I was supposed to start an evening-class about music-theory this week but they cancelled on me. So I'm thinking I'll roll my refund into some kind of online self-study.

How would you piece together a curriculum to learn this, with a budget of around 100-150$?:

"Through this course you'll get a broader theoretical foundation and greater understanding of your role in music, if you play in a band or sing in a choir. You'll get a basic introduction to harmony where we'll look at different types of harmony and discover how they give shape to chord-progressions and cadences in different genres. We'll analyse different pieces, sing chords and cadences and make our own harmonization of known melodies to turn theory into practice. Our goal is to make theory relevant and usable to you, enabling you to use music-theory when making or listening to music."

i think https://www.hooktheory.com/ does a great job of explaining chord progressions and harmony. its like 35 bux to get the ebooks, and it will probably take less than a week to get thru both of them.

their song analysis tool is outstanding imo, maybe click around and see if you find it compelling https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/

i like it because it provides an easy-to-understand visual representation of harmony in music

but it doesn't help you at all with reading notation

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Jazz Marimba posted:

buy a used theory textbook, read the first 5-10 chapters (the first 5-7 are prolly review or just putting words to things you already know), then google ”[song you like] sheet music” and reharmonize the melody with what you learned, spend the extra 50-100$ on idk, music you wanted but there wasn’t a free pdf of?

edit: i have an old theory textbook i could mail you for 50$ shipped if you wanna do the above

I'm not in the US so it's probably not worth the postage. But thanks for the offer.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i think https://www.hooktheory.com/ does a great job of explaining chord progressions and harmony. its like 35 bux to get the ebooks, and it will probably take less than a week to get thru both of them.

their song analysis tool is outstanding imo, maybe click around and see if you find it compelling https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/

i like it because it provides an easy-to-understand visual representation of harmony in music

but it doesn't help you at all with reading notation

I've had my eye on hooktheory, so I guess I'll start there.

I have the Berklee modern method for guitar, but I haven't been able to crack learning notation using that. I probably need something a bit more more basic.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pondex posted:

I have the Berklee modern method for guitar, but I haven't been able to crack learning notation using that. I probably need something a bit more more basic.

the mel bay modern guitar method series. it starts to overlap with berklee around vol 4 but it's aimed at complete beginners

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Greggster posted:

I think just making a thread on this forum could be a great idea!

Did anyone make that thread yet? I'm trying to figure out music video technique now and I want to :justpost:

https://twitter.com/katefd5/status/1306811210311098368?s=19

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the mel bay modern guitar method series. it starts to overlap with berklee around vol 4 but it's aimed at complete beginners

Complete beginner here, can confirm that the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method Book 1 will teach you how to read music notation. I sort of stalled while working my way through Book 2, so I can't say how good the later books are. I'm not good at guitar, but after running through book 1 twice I can sight read simple music at a reasonable tempo.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Any advice in buying a fiddle or violin? I am passing through OKC and they got a violin shop, I've never owned a violin, might be worth it. I've listened to a lot of fiddle+banjo so I already know how it's supposed to sound, I'd use cross tuning

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to buy schaller strap locks, but only the part that attaches to the strap? I only have one bass guitar but I have a few straps that are fun to switch around. Bonus if I can buy it in Canada, I guess.

Alternately, are any of the cheap amazon Schaller knockoffs any good? Because I can just buy like, a pack of ten for the same price as one genuine lock.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Any advice in buying a fiddle or violin? I am passing through OKC and they got a violin shop, I've never owned a violin, might be worth it. I've listened to a lot of fiddle+banjo so I already know how it's supposed to sound, I'd use cross tuning

In my experience, don't cheap out on the bow for whatever it is worth. Good bow action is just as important as the fiddle itself.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

When hanging acoustic panels for reflections in a small office (just those 1x1 foam things), does it make sense to cover my whole walls with them if I can or do I want to leave parts bare for any reason?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just pulling numbers out of my rear end, but paneling a third might get you three quarters of the way there and paneling half would bring you at ninety percent of the effect. But the cost keeps going up linearly, of course. Other than than that, no reason not to.

I used to have a porta-potty sized income hall that I covered entirely in automotive dampening foam and it was always a bit disorienting to walk through it because sound didn't reflect normally, and suddenly you'd be fully aware of how you use sound to navigate this world. Nothing you wouldn't adjust to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'm thinking about taking up the saxophone again as a hobby. I played tenor saxophone for eight years in school, but never really liked the parts that we played in band, with the altos always getting the best parts. I was thinking about possibly switching to an alto sax, because of that and because they are more compact, but my dumb student perspective on tenor parts was probably wrong.

I played a Yamaha YTS-23 (or something really similar) as far as I can tell from pictures online. If I'm looking for something to just noodle around on at home, is that model still okay? It's been 25 years so maybe they make them lovely nowadays.

I'm currently looking at local used options, as I don't need anything new, but are there any specific things to watch out for?