Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

mezzir posted:

Apologies for the bump but got damnit this is still bugging the poo poo out of me and I've had no luck identifying it whatsoever :smith:

KMFDM maybe? You can always try the "Help me identify a song" Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

In Booneville Stomp by Les Claypool, the drums are strong, deep, and concussive. What kind of drums are these?

I don't know anything about drums, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, they're roto toms.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 24, 2009

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

black_mastermind posted:

Yeah, they seem to be all christian-y out there. There was some sort of small religious leaflet in the box they shipped my octave fuzz kit in. It was nothing too extreme, usually that kind of thing weirds me out- more when I was a younger angrier man than now. The way I see it, if you want to keep selling me high quality pedal kits for cheap I can't complain too much if you want to make sure my soul is going to be okay, just in case I don't have that in check already. Or send Chick Tracts, because they are funny.

Say what you will but JD Sleep is the man, I sent him one of Tim Escobedo's circuit schematics and said "Hey man can you build this for me because I'm retarded" and originally he said "No I'm too busy" but then I asked again and he was like "Yo give me $100 and two weeks" then in the end he was like "Hey thanks for making me build that pedal it was really fun :)"

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Handen posted:

Say what you will but JD Sleep is the man, I sent him one of Tim Escobedo's circuit schematics and said "Hey man can you build this for me because I'm retarded" and originally he said "No I'm too busy" but then I asked again and he was like "Yo give me $100 and two weeks" then in the end he was like "Hey thanks for making me build that pedal it was really fun :)"

Oh, I have no complaints! I will be buying from that dude again, for sure. Sweet pedal kits, concern about my soul... what more can you ask for?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

black_mastermind posted:

Oh, I have no complaints! I will be buying from that dude again, for sure. Sweet pedal kits, concern about my soul... what more can you ask for?

Are these things roadworthy? I've got precious little experience assembling electronics. I need something that can take two rehearsals and a show every week.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Are these things roadworthy? I've got precious little experience assembling electronics. I need something that can take two rehearsals and a show every week.

Definitely! All of the parts in the kits are top quality. The jacks are switchcraft, the pots are really nice, the switches are really nice, the cases solid. The electronic components themselves are great and are what are 'supposed' to be in their respective effect, and the mod kits that are optional on some kits use the same parts that the boutique mods are based on. Battery or AC power, everything a pedal you could buy at a store would have.

If you build them right, I see no reason why they would not hold up as well as anything else on the market, to be honest. And the kits go together really easily, there are plenty of pictures and schematics in .pdf format that are on the site.

Don't be afraid to just dive in to an effects project! It is very satisfying to plug in to a box YOU built and rock on out. I can't WAIT to build another kit. It appears that GGG has recently added a Brassmaster kit, that might be my next one. The BYOC "overdrive 2" is also on my list of stuff to build next.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How can I get this breathy/airy trumpet sound? (or is it a sax?) Any VSTs that have good samples that mimic this sound? I can get close by putting heavy reverb on some HALion samples but it just doesn't have that attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4cMUOBXN0#t=3m00s

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Here's a tip for people struggling to play certain songs by ear. I had this problem when I was trying to figure out how to play Close Encounters by Mogwai. Last night I was listening to it and I bumped my headphone cord out of the input just a little bit. The result was that strange inversion of one of the channels (or something like that) and the song sounded breathy and hollow. It's the lovely analog way of doing the "karaoke" effect where you mix out the vocals.

Anyway, it sounded like a raw, live recording and I was able to hear each instrument and its notes perfect and clear. To do this on a computer, open it up in a program such as Audacity, split the stereo track into two channels, and invert the left channel. I am currently tabbing the song out for myself with great ease.

Edit: But yeah, I mean I'm sure this is really stupid and pointless for technically skilled musicians. It's more for idiots like me who just play by ear and feeling.

John Blaster fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 27, 2009

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got an amp head (Crate GX-1600 to be exact) that had some sketchiness involving the input jacks as well as horrible popping when I adjust the gain knob. I opened it up to see if there was anything really obvious that I could replace (loose solder joint or something), and noticed this.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This is probably really stupid, but what is this yellow waxy crap? Is it supposed to be used as an adhesive on more sensitive joints? If so, then it looks like whoever had this before me was kind of reckless with it. Is it the remains of something melted? EZ cheese? Would removing it have any effect?

Anyway, I can do without the gain on channel B; I just want to be able to play through this without it suddenly cutting in and out.

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
What's the simplest and most cost-efficient way to record my guitar to my computer?
I'm thinking of buying an SM57 mic but I'm not sure what exactly I need to hook that up to my computer. Would a preamp work for that?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Achtane posted:

I got an amp head (Crate GX-1600 to be exact) that had some sketchiness involving the input jacks as well as horrible popping when I adjust the gain knob. I opened it up to see if there was anything really obvious that I could replace (loose solder joint or something), and noticed this.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This is probably really stupid, but what is this yellow waxy crap? Is it supposed to be used as an adhesive on more sensitive joints? If so, then it looks like whoever had this before me was kind of reckless with it. Is it the remains of something melted? EZ cheese? Would removing it have any effect?

Anyway, I can do without the gain on channel B; I just want to be able to play through this without it suddenly cutting in and out.
Leave that goop there. It's put in there by the factory and is used as a stabilizer for certain parts and also acts as a heat sink or something.

You problem is that you own a Crate.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

scuz posted:

You problem is that you own a Crate.

I thought so. Thanks for the info.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Achtane posted:

I thought so. Thanks for the info.
Fun anecdote:

I was working at a Guitar Center in Minnesota a while ago and was tidying up my bass aisle. Some middle-aged guy came up to me and asked about the bass amps, and I recommended a couple of different small combos that we had (GK, SWR's LA series) for his kid, and then he asked about Crate. My response was "Oh Crate sucks, you'll be replacing that in a year when you realize they're awful or when it breaks in a week." The dude nodded and thanked me for my help.

An hour later, the sales team was rounded up for a little meeting from a representative from a company whose gear we sell. The middle-aged guy was brought up in front of the group and said he was the rep from St. Louis Music and was there to talk about the new Crate line of amps! He also referred to Crate as the "red-headed step child" of the amp world, and I am a red-headed step child (he didn't know I was a step child though).

:parrot: crate is awful nobody should own one :parrot:

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

scuz posted:

I owned a Crate half stack for a couple years in high school/college and am very glad I sold it to buy a Mesa. It was all tube, pretty much a Marshall copy, but it just never sounded very good. Always a little muddy, and then something started going out on it and it became useless. My current amp I've had over twice as long and has done much better for me.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
So, wait I have a crate vintage 50 concert amp from the 70s that my friend gave me. I was always under the impression that it was bad rear end. It sure sounds loving bad rear end... but then again I'm not a pro musician, I don't think I quite have the experience to compare the sound to anything else really. It does have occasional problems I need to get fixed, but I had always been told that problems are inherent with tube amps. That true?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anything that was built in the 70's and still works has to be pretty good. Brands have gone through so much consolidation and reorganization over the years that 1970 Crate probably occupied a very different market than 2009 Crate.

Don't worry about it if it sounds good. :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

John Blaster posted:

So, wait I have a crate vintage 50 concert amp from the 70s that my friend gave me. I was always under the impression that it was bad rear end. It sure sounds loving bad rear end... but then again I'm not a pro musician, I don't think I quite have the experience to compare the sound to anything else really. It does have occasional problems I need to get fixed, but I had always been told that problems are inherent with tube amps. That true?
Well what sort of problems are you having? There are a bunch of different things that can go wrong with tube amps (biasing, tube quality, etc), and there are other things that are just plain bad.

warwick5s posted:

Anything that was built in the 70's and still works has to be pretty good. Brands have gone through so much consolidation and reorganization over the years that 1970 Crate probably occupied a very different market than 2009 Crate.

Don't worry about it if it sounds good. :)
This is correct; all of it.

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

I have a guitar related question, and this seems like a reasonable place for it. My ESP EC1000 has been giving me some trouble. Playing anything past the 12th fret sounds terrible, especially on the high strings. The notes buzz and are out of tune. At first, I thought it was an intonation issue, so I tried to make adjustments. Then I noticed that even my 12th fret harmonics were out of tune. This is the first time I've encountered this, and didn't even realize it could happen.

I suspect it needs a truss rod adjustment, probably from me moving it around so much in the past year. Adjusting the truss rod is simple enough, but I know I could really screw something up. Is it worth it to try to do it myself, or should I just have it professionally serviced? I'm obviously not going to go making random adjustments, and I'll make sure I know what I'm doing before I mess with anything, but I'd like to save some money and do it myself if it makes sense.

Also, is there a chance that it's something worse than a truss rod issue?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Bubba Fuzz posted:

I have a guitar related question, and this seems like a reasonable place for it. My ESP EC1000 has been giving me some trouble. Playing anything past the 12th fret sounds terrible, especially on the high strings. The notes buzz and are out of tune. At first, I thought it was an intonation issue, so I tried to make adjustments. Then I noticed that even my 12th fret harmonics were out of tune. This is the first time I've encountered this, and didn't even realize it could happen.
This means you probly made your intonation worse when you tried to fix it.

quote:

I suspect it needs a truss rod adjustment, probably from me moving it around so much in the past year. Adjusting the truss rod is simple enough, but I know I could really screw something up. Is it worth it to try to do it myself, or should I just have it professionally serviced? I'm obviously not going to go making random adjustments, and I'll make sure I know what I'm doing before I mess with anything, but I'd like to save some money and do it myself if it makes sense.

Dont touch your truss rod, its unlikely that its the issue here. Your guitar needs a setup from someone with experience. If you can find a tech without a major workload, he might even let you watch so you pick up some pointers :)

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

Well, I like my crate. :colbert:

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That Crate I posted about literally just died. I turned it on, heard a pop and crackle and then smelled burning plastic. Awesome.

I guess I gave it a loving home to spend its last days in.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Bubba Fuzz posted:

What adjustments did you make? How old are the strings?

If this is like other ESP/LTD guitar, it probably has really low action from the factory and medium sized frets. That combination will make your guitar more prone to buzzing in the first place. You could probably set the action a little higher than the factory adjustments and be fine.

You can make your own truss adjustments, but in my experience it's not going to be a miracle cure and it takes a lot of patience. By the time your guitar is due for a setup, which it definitely is now, the truss is one of several things that will be adjusted.

It also takes more than a few allen wrenches to set up a guitar. Your ear and a normal tuner are going to have a very difficult time discerning pitches as precisely as what a professional guitar tech should use, a strobe tuner. It's extremely sensitive to minute differences in pitch that your ear can't hear accurately because of the difference in tone between the harmonic and fretted note.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

CalvinDooglas posted:

What adjustments did you make? How old are the strings?

You can make your own truss adjustments, but in my experience it's not going to be a miracle cure and it takes a lot of patience.
This is a fancy way of saying dont do it to fix a problem its not going to fix. Above your twelfth fret your truss rod does so much less, and this isn't a truss rod fix in any likely scenario anyway. (I'm urging patience because I dont want you to break the rod and have a much, much bigger problem on your hands)

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

Thanks for the help, guys. There's probably a good chance that I made it worse.

The only thing I adjusted was the bridge saddle for the high E string, following the instructions in the manual. The note was flat at the 12th fret, so I moved the saddle towards the neck. Moving the saddle in small increments didn't make any difference, so I didn't bother with the other strings, figuring it had other issues I needed to address first. I noticed that the harmonics were very flat on that string, and the others as well if I remember correctly.

It could certainly use a new set of strings. It did come from the factory with pretty low action, and it has extra jumbo frets according to ESP, if that makes any difference.

I'm not going to mess with the truss. I'll probably go ahead and restring it, and maybe mess with the action a bit. It definitely needs a setup, so I'm going to try to find a good tech around here. I'm a big fan of my guitar, so I'd really rather not break the rod.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Can anyone figure out the chords to this? I'm terrible at tabbing by ear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CM6RMbm3E

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
I just picked up an Evolution MK-149 from Goodwill. I have it going from MIDI to USB into my computer and its being powered by the 9 volt adapter. I am getting no power from it and I was wondering if this means its busted. Is there any thing I can try to get it to work? I would really like to use it but if I can't then oh well.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is it the adapter that would have come stock with it, or is it one that was just laying around at the Goodwill?
Double check the polarity, and the mA rating. Sometimes electronics can be picky about the power they are getting.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

At what cumulative dollar mark should I look to insure my guitars? I don't play out a ton, so I'm not terribly worried about theft, and I make sure temp/humidity in my house is at friendly levels. Anyone insure here? How much would you estimate the worth of your insured gear at?

Mokracy
Oct 9, 2009

mokracy.com

pennywisdom posted:

Can anyone figure out the chords to this? I'm terrible at tabbing by ear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CM6RMbm3E

First chord: E B F# G# = E(add9)
Second chord: B F# E = B(sus4)
Third chord: A E C# B = A(add9)

Fourth chord: F# C# A# B E = F#11
Fifth chord (my baby's crying so I THINK it's): E A F# B = Eadd9(sus4) okay that's probably not the right nomenclature.

Now I have to run. But the basic idea is playing the barre chords with strings 1 and 2 played open. Very, very common technique.

Mokracy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 30, 2009

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Mokracy posted:

But the basic idea is playing the barre chords with strings 1 and 2 played open. Very, very common technique.

"Coffeehouse Singer/Songwriter 101" right here

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

butros posted:

At what cumulative dollar mark should I look to insure my guitars? I don't play out a ton, so I'm not terribly worried about theft, and I make sure temp/humidity in my house is at friendly levels. Anyone insure here? How much would you estimate the worth of your insured gear at?

If you rent, you should look into renters insurance, I believe that your guitar should be covered under a policy. But to make sure please talk to your agent.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Renters and homeowners covers your instruments in your home, but typically don't cover them at a gig or in your car, and would be replaced minus whatever deductible you have.

I have a rider added to my homeowners for full replacement cost of things like my basses, amps, and laptop. They're insured at full retail cost because if someone jacks one of my Stambaughs it's not like I can just go out and buy a new one.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

warwick5s posted:

I have a rider added to my homeowners for full replacement cost of things like my basses, amps, and laptop. They're insured at full retail cost because if someone jacks one of my Stambaughs it's not like I can just go out and buy a new one.

That's a good idea, because having been through a burglary and claim on my homeowner's insurance I can tell you that the insurance company's ideas about instrument depreciation are very different from yours or mine.

It's also important to note that renter's/homeowner's policies generally won't pay on instruments if you play music in a "professional" capacity. Definitions of professional will vary, so be aware of that if you're playing out and getting paid.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, I made extra sure what conditions my basses would be covered and where they wouldn't. The rider covers the instruments anywhere *except* bars and music venues.

I'm not really playing out a whole lot right now, so that's fine, but as soon as I am again I'll get specific instrument insurance on everything.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I'm about to get a new bass, and my old one (Dean :rolleyes:) isn't worthy of being a backup. So I want to do some Frankenstein work on it. So here's a few questions.

Where can I find a good guide to a bass's wiring? I'm sure it's different from one manufacturer to another, but what about the basics?

What's the worst that can happen if I decide to put an electric guitar's pickup in my bass? (I told you, Frankenstein!) What's the best? I'd rather not wast the money if it won't make a sound, let alone a terrible one.

Anybody else have some cool one-shot mods that I can do on the cheap?

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Horse Divorce posted:

What's the worst that can happen if I decide to put an electric guitar's pickup in my bass? (I told you, Frankenstein!) What's the best? I'd rather not wast the money if it won't make a sound, let alone a terrible one.

It's not going to explode or anything, but the stock pickups would have to be spectacularly bad to sound worse. Fender used to put single coil guitar pickups in their Musicmaster basses in the '70s. Six pole pieces and everything. It works, but that's about it.

You could always defret it, if you're in to that. There's a million guides online.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Can you guys recommend some some blues with pretty easy rhythms to sing and play? I know Jimmy Reed, but I was hoping for something a little less poppy.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

pimpology 101 posted:

What's the simplest and most cost-efficient way to record my guitar to my computer?
I'm thinking of buying an SM57 mic but I'm not sure what exactly I need to hook that up to my computer. Would a preamp work for that?

I'm gonna have to second this question. I've been looking around for a long time now, but can't settle on anything in particular.

All I want to do is basic, stupid stuff like recording a bass line, sending the file to a friend and having him record a guitar line over it. Say we both wanted to get something cheap and simple to do this. Neither of us have fancy mixers, microphones, good amps, anything like that -- so I think a USB recording interface might be best. But I don't know which ones have bad static and latency issues and which are decent. Obviously with our setups, good tone isn't really the goal; it's just for messing around.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

JD posted:

Can you guys recommend some some blues with pretty easy rhythms to sing and play? I know Jimmy Reed, but I was hoping for something a little less poppy.

Any blues standards should be pretty easy. Caledonia, Sweet Home Chicago, Born Under a Bad Sign, Matchbox Blues, Stormy Monday, One Way Out, Big Boss Man, Crossroads, Got My Mojo Workin, Shake Your Moneymaker, Killing Floor, Baby Please Don't Go, I'm a King Bee. There are tons. Once you get the rhythm parts they're simple.

If you play and sing you should just go to some blues jams and pick up a few tunes, they get played all different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

Thumposaurus posted:

Is it the adapter that would have come stock with it, or is it one that was just laying around at the Goodwill?
Double check the polarity, and the mA rating. Sometimes electronics can be picky about the power they are getting.

This was it. Thanks for the quick answer it works great now.