Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...wouldn't it still be common time?

I'm not awake yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, but a triplet is one beat divided into three notes.

^^ Yeah, after reading your post and then rereading his I see what the deal is. Now to find some goddamn caffeine and shut up before I say more stupid poo poo on the internet.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 19, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

On one occasion I got some weird Japanese station and another time it was some guy preaching about Jesus. It was kind of cool.

I once got ESPN Radio, a game between the White Sox and Rangers. I actually stopped playing for a while to just listen to the game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

big business sloth posted:

This might be a question for computer people instead, but I figure I'll try.

I'm recording into my HP Pro-book via a microphone/mackie/line out setup, directly into the microphone input. However, whenever I try to record, the computer (on Audacity, but I think it happens when I use Reaper too) dulls the input, so that if I were to strum some chords on the guitar, the first strike will be loud and powerful, but it slowly gets quieter until it evens out all muddy like. It happens too when I record directly line in, without a microphone. Any idea what could be causing it?

My suspicion is that it's something to do with your sound card trying to regulate its own input through the microphone amp. I don't know much about laptop sound cards, but I have a similar setup on my PC, and I only ever use the line-in on my sound card, not the mic-in, to avoid the sound card's amplifier.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ok that does sound about right. So how do I avoid it exactly?

I don't actually know. Step one, see if you have a separate line-in port on your laptop. I don't think laptop sound cards generally have those, I could be wrong---as I said, laptops aren't my scene. Second, dig around in the settings for your sound card, probably via the Control Panel, see what you can do in there. There may be some sort of option regarding the sound card's regulation of incoming signal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sadsack posted:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my lovely Pacification to a proper, big boys, guitar. At the moment I'm lusting after a Gibson SG Special, but I'm a bit worried about the neck. A few years ago I had a Epiphone G400 that, when you let get of the neck, it immeadiatly nose dived. Was that just a problem with that guitar or is it a quirk of the SG line as a whole?

SGs have necks made of treetrunks. They are meant for burly men and women to hoist aloft with bulging, barbarian-like thews.

(I play a Telecaster.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I don't think this is the right thread but I am unsure where to post it at all and I'd rather not create a thread for such a one time question. I was wondering what instrument is playing at 1:21 to about 1:30. Some kind of flute or something? If you have an example of similar sound I would be grateful. The song is Se Meg by Kate Havnevik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w0K9y_SKPs

P.S.: If you know what thread should this be posted in/would have better chance of people knowing, please let me know! Thank you.

I thought it was a muted trumpet, but that's just me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm looking for a decent distortion pedal (guitar)

I've got a BOSS MT-2 and I pretty much hate it and the effects built into my amp are also terrible.

I have friends that say the DS-1 is the only decent way to go, does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm going to second Bozor: Go to the shop and try stuff out, and try to recreate your situation as closely as possible---use an amp and guitar similar to yours, if not yours, when testing. There's a lot of room for different kinds of sounds within the vague descriptor of "distortion," so be prepared to try and sort through a whole lot of different boxes. I personally have a Keeley Mod DS-1 and a stock Big Muff Pi in my chain, which I use for fairly different things.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BulletRiddled posted:

I want to livestream a concert I'll be putting on in late December, but this is something I know pretty much nothing about. Is there a good/popular site for doing this?

livestream.com seems to get a lot of business.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey guys, I just started trying my hand at music production and really could use some better speakers to play sounds on. Could anyone recommend me some quality computer speakers that are good value for the price? I've got in the range of $200 I'd be willing to spend.

I've been using harman/kardons for a little over a decade now, they still sound great. They...uh.

...what.

...the model that I was using (totally reasonable looking) somehow morphed into this monstrosity when I wasn't looking. I was gonna suggest whatever my speakers evolved into, but goddamn, I wouldn't want that anywhere near my system. Sorry.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bubble wrap AND packing peanuts. Maybe even reinforce the corners of the boxes somehow.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Your best bet is to just make one yourself. Basic drum machine software is available all over the internet in one form or another---here's a flash one you can dick around with: http://www.onemotion.com/flash/drum-machine/

edit - wait, hold up, that doesn't have numeric bpm. My bad, just woke up. Here's one I've used before for vaguely-similar purposes: http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml

Just add something extra (a snare hit, a cymbal ping, anything) to the downbeat so you've got that marker.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 30, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Can anyone identify the instrument John Darnielle uses in Mountain Goats songs such as שקט and others? It's the tinny synthesizer thing that I'm pretty sure is a Concertmate series child's electronic keyboard that I happen to own, but I'd like to know.

Can you pick out a couple other songs to look for? My girlfriend's got a whole stack of MGs records (I'm just starting to get into them seriously), but I don't think I've/she's heard that one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My DEM has an integrated power supply and plug. Do I just have an oddball/custom job, since I did get mine used, or did they change to disconnectable AC adapters at some point?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't really know where to ask this so I figure if this is the wrong place someone can point me in the right direction.

I want to rename all of the cover art files in my music libray to "folder.jpg" instead of whatever name they have now. I tried searching my library for all image files and renaming them from that but then it gives them all the name "folder (1).jpg" cause it thinks they're all in the same directory I guess. So if anyone knows how I can circumvent windows being dumb like that I'd really appreciate it.

You're not going to fix Windows being dumb any time soon, but this software is freeware and works like a charm: http://www.antp.be/software/renamer

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stupid drumming question. Lately I've found myself playing a lot of crash stuff where I'm hitting the cymbal on quarter notes for the loud bits, but often the cymbal will swing out of rhythm with how I'm hitting it, where it'll be further away than expected when I want to hit it or swinging back up to meet my stick for the next note, both of which make it tonally inconsistent as well as loving annoying. Is this a question of technique or hardware or both, and how do others handle it?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RandomCheese posted:

Try tipping your cymbals toward you, they look pretty flat in the pic you posted in the other thread so having the balance shifted to one edge might be enough to make them go into their default position once struck as opposed to being level and wobbling around until the felt absorbs all of the momentum. Maybe try just tightening them into the felt a bit more also.

Hm. Well, they can't actually get any tighter, but the felt and nut setup I have is pretty low-budget, so I may need to look at my mounting. As for the tilt, I'll try that out next time I get a chance to play. They are pretty flat, but that's probably exaggerated a little bit, since to get that photo, I had to stand on my stool, hold the camera practically at the ceiling and point it straight down.

...actually, no, I must be hallucinating. They're basically level. Huh. I thought they were tilted more.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Modern guitar? Or modern guitar

I am not a good musician and I have a cold. Can I get this explained to me? I follow that the fret weirdness makes it so the frets are more accurate to the different strings, but is this the same scale as a standard guitar, just with improved accuracy, or is this for some janky tuning from progfusion town?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It depends on the mic - if it requires phantom power, then no.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You should just be able to undo some bolts and take the cone out for a more comprehensive examination.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Duct tape.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Did the Eagles really have any other songs where Walsh and Felder really lay into a lead line together like they do at the end of that song? That may be it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ihopeirememberthis posted:

What's a good instrument to play if I can't use my right thumb? Preferably something that sounds good solo.

How much 'can't use' are we talking? Clarinets and saxophones have a bit where the right thumb carries some of the weight of the instrument but doesn't actually require any other faculty in that digit. Guitars of various sorts would require a different picking methodology, if you're playing right handed, but wouldn't ask much of the right thumb. You could even use banjo-style fingerpicks if you can't grip with that hand.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0H9-00C9-00001

This should do you fine.

Also

we're music nerds sure

but come on we're still goons

of course we know what counterstrike is

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a quick google implies that you can't get a lapel mic with usb.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Basically, you can just get one with a 1/4" out and plug it into your soundcard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So wait, you're an electric player going acoustic for folk?

Is this the part where we yell "Judas!" and you talk poo poo at us and tell the band to play real fuckin' quiet?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have massive ham hands only good for playing Ramones tunes and I love loving around with mandolin.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trying to predict people's reactions to a thread is always hit-or-miss, but in my experience, it's always better to do a thing than to not do a thing.

:justpost:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm converting a small suitcase into a pedalboard, and I need to put something under the pedals so it's not like putting my foot into a bucket. Plywood is my first thought, but I would hope I could get something lighter---the only problem is that anything I can think of ends up being squashable. Thoughts?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Don't go too far in the other direction, though, or you'll never record a goddamn thing.

He says, not recording.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Are you talking about me? You're talking about me, aren't you? You hate me, right?

what? no

I hate myself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So my amplifier has a small spring reverb (80s Crate G-20) which I've always just cranked to full and left on because it doesn't add a lot of reverb, just some nice extra thickness to the sound. This amp also doesn't move around at all, so it hasn't been dropped or anything, but of late, having the reverb on is causing something in the amp to start feeding back. It doesn't overwhelm whatever signal is being put into the thing, it's just there in the background like you left the tv on in the other room and it's doing a test of the emergency broadcast system. It's not a world-shattering loss, I was planning on getting a reverb pedal anyway to replace the one I had to sell off some time back, but is there anything I can reasonably do to see about tracking down and possibly repairing the fault in the tank or whatever it is that might be making it do this?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Whatever the bride says is law. The guests aren't paying you.

The last wedding I DJed, there was an interesting twist to that, in that (context: this is in Texas) the bride loathed country music, but the bride's mother was actually footing the bill. (Oddly, the bride's father was providing the PA, since as a regularly-gigging guitarist, he knew even his "smaller" PA setup would blow the doors off anything I could rent for the purpose - and in fact, said setup was complete overkill, even for the very large room we were in, but I digress.) Said mother and father of bride were estranged, so it was touch-and-go at times, especially as the mother's faction was highly traditional (read: racist) and the groom was black.

And a brony, but I digress again.

This led to the situation where the bride advised me "do not play any country," while the bride's father advised me "her mother or one of her cousins on that side or something like is going to demand you play country...just...hold out as long as possible until you do, we don't want them to start complaining about who's actually paying you."

The ceremony music and dinner music went exactly to plan (nerdy and tasteful, respectively) and then when the dancefloor opened up, the cold war began.

I went for Love is the Drug to open, I remember that much. I've tried to keep playlists handy for the weddings I've done, but this specific one got lost, so I don't remember exactly what went on. I made polite excuses, your standard "I don't think I have that one, no" as said cousins approached and asked for Toby Keith and Rascal Flats and the like. Eventually, someone deposited their ipod on my table and indicated this playlist consisting of 100% good poo poo would no longer stand. The father gave me the nod, and I plugged it into my soundboard.

It was mostly a victory for the bride, though, as we only ended up playing two or three country tunes, and one of them was a proper slow dance number, and I'm not going to argue with a nice slow dance.

But I did end the night with Justice because gently caress it, we've got some serious speakers in here, let's make them work.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 4, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

basically like 75% of why I want to learn music theory is to figure out what it is about the songwriting for musicals that makes me want to chew off my own limbs to get away

every time I'm working for the theater company I'm in with off and on (as their live sound person and one of their "is willing to help lift heavy things" people), whenever one of them gets ahold of the PA system to put on music for while we're all working, I can basically tell within like two-three bars if something's a showtune or not, basically because if it's a showtune, it ends up sounding like nails on a chalkboard to me

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the LP has like six frets where the neck isn't 360-degrees accessible

that bass has like six

and then another ten

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

We've already had Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine, nobody needs to use the phrase ever again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

just got a midi controller keyboard, and I have basically no keys experience. the learning how to play will come in time, but for right now I mostly just wanna bang around on it while I learn the controls and daw stuff

the thing is, and I assume this'll get fixed to some extent in time with proper technique, but a thing that extremely bothers me coming from drums and guitar is that these plastic keys are very slick, and I constantly find my fingers slipping in ways that they don't on frets and drumsticks. I can't get a grip. I'm tempted to put on some kind of keyboard equivalent of grip tape just so I can get some friction and keep my fingertips where I want them.

is this normal, or am I a garbage person with garbage hands

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Could just be a cheap keyboard. What did you get?

novation launchkey 37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Booyah- posted:

are your fingernails trimmed down? If mine are even a little too long then they make my fingers slide around the keys

Yeah, 'cos my day job involves a lot of typing, if I let them go at all, it's horrible, can't get anything done.