Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

Are there any solid resources for learning songwriting out there? I'm reasonably ok at producing, I know my way around the DAW after a few years. I can mix OK. I know some degree of theory and have taken plenty of lessons etc. My challenge is that what I write is just not that interesting, at least not to my ear.

There are hints of something good in there, but the process of taking it from a few chords and a melody into a track that sounds like something you would hear on the radio, something that would be both catchy and reflective of my personal influences.. that's brutal. Most Youtube tutorials are basically "songwriting is these 4 bro chords on an acoustic and some lyrics and you're done, it's an amazing song now". That's not what I'm into though. I realize that this is one of those 10k hours things where you just bang your head against the desk long enough until it gets better, but I'd love to supplement that brute force process with something else. Is there something that helps guide you there? Books? Classes? Schooling?

I'm a product designer, not a songwriter, so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems like you're asking all the wrong questions if your goal is to create something that hasn't already been created.

For example:
- Things on the radio are rarely original in their structure or lyrical content, and often what makes them seem original is either an insanely talented singer with a unique voice or it's tiny little sound effects peppered through the song to keep your attention. It's like, how many Beatles songs are about a girl?
- If you're thinking of your influences, it's going to make it a lot harder to make something new.
- Watching a tutorial or reading a book or taking a class are all basically the same: It's somebody who has already done something telling you how to do it too. Almost by definition, the end result will be repeatable rather than original.
- Brute force kills creativity. There's a time and a place for brute force, but this doesn't seem to be it.

Try asking questions like....
What is missing from all the music you've heard before?
What do you "get," but nobody else does?
What do you want to say to the world, which hasn't been said yet?
What's the most fun you could have on your instrument(s) of choice? Do you love sus chords or something, and you just want to play them all day long?
What do you sound like when you make music?
What can you do that nobody else can do?
What is your personal aesthetic?
What do you believe the world should be like? (To use myself as an example, I believe the world is full of useless crap and distractions. The things I design are therefore minimalist and it's really important to me that every single part of the product adds value.)

When you're in a rut, just write down one of those questions and do some brainstorming. Something will emerge, even if you're feeling uninspired as you begin the process.

Another thing you could try is being creative in some other medium like visual art. Figure out what your style is, use that as a way to learn about yourself, and then apply that new understanding to your music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
It's wonderful that we disagree, and thank you for the effort post. I didn't know a lot of this, or at least I wasn't able to put the pieces together like this.

I lack the musical knowledge to seriously challenge your assertions even if I wanted to, but I'd like to respond to a few things you mention:

You literally cannot create something “truly original”
This is soul crushing and demotivates me from even trying. If I believed that I lacked the potential to create something original, not to mention believing that "original" isn't even possible, I would quit making music today. I'm glad I don't agree with this statement.

Using the same chords and writing your own melody is so common in jazz there’s a word for it: contrafact.
I would describe this as "I see something that nobody else sees, and I'm going to do something original with it." It's inspiring. We might have a different definition of "original" in this context, but just for clarity I don't mean something that's 100% unique and never-before-seen. A thing can be original even if it's derivative in some way.

Nothing is created in a vacuum. Minimalist design came about because of our frustrations in the 90s and 00s with careless design that was unintentionally maximalist....Music is the same: everything is either advancing or subverting the current paradigm.
I would describe this feeling as identifying what's wrong, or missing, from existing works. If you're looking around, noticing a pattern and then using your energy to break from that pattern, it seems like a good process which has a high probability of making something original. (That's what I was trying to get at with the question "What is missing from all the music you've heard before?")

Adele’s music sounds really different from the mainstream pop sound, but it’s not “truly original”; it’s pop with jazz harmonies.
Has anybody ever sounded like Adele? She's a once-in-a-generation vocal talent, at least as far as I can tell. This is why I wrote "...what makes it seem original is either an insanely talented singer with a unique voice...." So I think in this case we basically agree -- what makes Adele's music unique is her voice, and pretty much only her voice. We've all heard pop, we've all heard jazz harmonies, but until Adele came onto the scene we had never heard Adele. This just doesn't seem very useful to the person I was originally responding to, unless they're the lead singer of the next Kings of Leon (another example of largely derivative music elevated by a unique voice).

1930s swing was an advancement of 1920s dance music. 1940s bebop was a subversion of 1930s swing
The terms "advancement" and "subversion" stick out here. I would assert that the process which led to these advancements and subversions is people thinking in terms like "What's missing?" and "What's more fun?" and "What do you get that nobody else gets?" and "What hasn't been done yet?"

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
You familiar with the band Beirut?

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
World Drum Club on youtube would be helpful I think. Have fun making music!

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

sporklift posted:

I assume this is directed at me? Is there a reason for these recommendations over what I posted?

Read the last several pages of this thread. There was another poster going back and forth between an Orange and a Katana, so I'm doubting the fine folks here want to re-hash everything.

I don't own a Katana, but it seems pretty clear to me that the Katana is what you want. If you can put up with a tiny amount of software menus and the like, and can plug it into your computer with USB, it's virtually guaranteed to do everything you need within your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

What is your dream piece of kit?

Right now it's a Mandala drum. https://synesthesiacorp.com/mandala-mk29