Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i get my final CPA results in 9 days and by god I think I've finished accounting

suck it nerds

Congrats on beating the final boss of accounting!

*title card appears and intro music begins*

Oh, oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Harry posted:

It's hard to explain without really doing a deep dive into property management, but a typical Yardi admin for a company is usually someone that used to work at an apartment complex as a leasing agent/manager and was deemed smart enough to work as operations/Yardi support. They usually have a decent idea on operation flow and little idea on accounting and the actual software side. And any that do usually jump ship to be a Yardi consultant, or eventually become a controller at smallish company running everything themselves.

Yep & most people don't give enough of a poo poo to learn more than their basic daily job function they have on the system so whoever steps up or wants to learn more can use that experience to get promoted or get a better salary. Leasing is one of the more annoying modules to get functioning correctly especially NY Manager leasing so if you can figure that setup out you can pretty much learn everything on YARDI.
As a senior accountant & YARDI expert Controller is certainly a position I would be looking for once I get 5+ more years of experience. Working at a top 20 accounting firm with different real estate clients instead of just working for a single private real estate company should help facilitate that. Thankfully an in-house recruiter reached out to me for this current position. Typically I hate recruiters unless they work for the actual company that is trying to hire me which is what happened; recruiters at recruiting agencies I feel like their job function is just to get my resume and throw it in a database or someshit. Never been hired off a recruiter interview.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

knox posted:

Yep & most people don't give enough of a poo poo to learn more than their basic daily job function they have on the system so whoever steps up or wants to learn more can use that experience to get promoted or get a better salary.
That's basically what I did. I haven't used Yardi in 10 years, but it always had some kind of issue going on that genuinely didn't make any sense. We kept on having some issue where an entry would only be reflected only have way. So a charge would be done and you'd see it in the revenue account, but it wouldn't show in the receivable. You'll definitely want to get a CPA though. It shouldn't matter, but it really does to these smaller shops even if you have a wealth of experience.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

School stressing me out. I got some new interviews possibly lined up. I hope they work out. I really just want to get as good as Covok and the rest of you all.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my advice is don't go to school and just cram for whatever assessment you have in the last week leading up to it. This will free up a lot of time for fat bong rips and video games.

Additionally just get whatever job you can and use it as a stepping stone. Good chance if you're a computer addicted goon you will be very good at googling all the answers you need anyway

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Good Citizen posted:

Congrats on beating the final boss of accounting!

*title card appears and intro music begins*

Oh, oh no

are you telling me there's more?

I was planning on pivoting to focus on python and javascript post CPA and just eeking out a living helping small businesses with their limited understanding of how anything works

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I had to do one (1) business tax return for a class, in a group, and felt like completely breaking down for most of the last week. i'm starting to understand why no one who goes into tax seems happy.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Nea posted:

I had to do one (1) business tax return for a class, in a group, and felt like completely breaking down for most of the last week. i'm starting to understand why no one who goes into tax seems happy.

As someone who has worked in public accounting, industry, and gov, I think the happiest tax people are those committed to the public accounting grindset. It’s still a shitshow but at least it’s our shitshow.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well you get better at it and it goes faster when you've done several thousand instead of just one. The money tends to cushion the blow as well. All the same, I definitely prefer consulting work, but compliance is an inevitability.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

That's fair on all accounts. I still think i'll probably stay away from it, if only because i don't like the idea of having an expected part of the year where i'd basically be doing overtime, all the time.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Nea posted:

That's fair on all accounts. I still think i'll probably stay away from it, if only because i don't like the idea of having an expected part of the year where i'd basically be doing overtime, all the time.

You picked the wrong profession. The tax compliance overtime is the best kind of overtime because you know ahead of time that it will happen. I’m in real estate tax (Canada) and I know March, May and June are generally off limits, but am flexible otherwise.

I miss being in public practice and being 60% interesting big name deal work, but I don’t miss working 5:00-11:00 in august with no notice.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I did a bit, which is why my intended path is more focused on government accounting and parts of the govt where I can broadly avoid having to do any kind of overtime, which I know exists in a good few spaces -even certain parts of the IRS.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I like having one 3 month crunch time every year that's guaranteed to be done on a certain date. Makes me appreciate my free time the rest of the year and in normal years in the before times my office was able to do things like close at 3 every Friday in the summer. The last few years have sucked because tax season hasn't felt like it's actually ended with all of the extra bullshit of PPP's and ERTC's. Hoping next season is more normal.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I graduate in a few weeks. I hope that this and my constant job applications translate into me being able to pay for my own food again.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Are you CPA eligible? Are you interested in public? Cause there should be plenty of opportunities if so.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PatMarshall posted:

Are you CPA eligible? Are you interested in public? Cause there should be plenty of opportunities if so.

I am interested in public, just haven't qualified to get CPA yet.

Only worked like 2 months in official accounting so I don't think that counts for CPA stuff. I do have a scholarship for CMA that I want to have.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 4, 2022

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I mean are you eligible to sit for the exam. Aka, do you have your 150 credit hours or your states equivalent. Anyway, I'd recommend talking to career services. The window for entry level hiring for the next busy season is probably finished, but people are always dropping out so I'm sure HR and recruiters should still be interested in talking to you. LinkedIn is also a useful resource.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Public firms are definitely still hiring - there’s a severe shortage of staff

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My new job has taken a bad turn. The owners found out I was a tax guy and now I'm constantly on the phone with the IRS, wasting my time, asking for updates on the ERTC and other garbage because they are convinced their current tax guy was just lazy and they want answers now, despite me explaining its just going to take time for this all to process.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Covok posted:

My new job has taken a bad turn. The owners found out I was a tax guy and now I'm constantly on the phone with the IRS, wasting my time, asking for updates on the ERTC and other garbage because they are convinced their current tax guy was just lazy and they want answers now, despite me explaining its just going to take time for this all to process.

I mean, if they decided that's what they want you to do instead of what you were doing . . .

To put it another way, if you're still working just the 40 hours a week then eh. I try not to get too riled up about that stuff . . . I'll do whatever you pay me for while I'm here, I guess.

That being said, I usually hit 40 hours by lunch on Thursday (well actually if we count Sunday as the current week then probably sometime Weds night) so yeah adding something that I felt was stupid would make me very unhappy.

Just depends on how well you're doing guarding your time I guess.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Great way to control time - get promoted so your hours are too expensive and you're chewed out for doing billable work.

Bad way to control your new expensiver time: lie on your timesheet

E: to be clear I don't get overtime :cop:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 6, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My payroll guy told me that the IRS is taking 6-12 months to process ERTC's so tell your boss that and just lie that you called back every time they ask again.

Also make sure to slip in a "thank god they're hiring more IRS agents, that should speed up the process", let them spin that around with their Fox news narrative that armed IRS agents are going to war against the middle class. Making assumptions about your bosses but I feel comfortable I'm right since we're both on Long Island.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PatMarshall posted:

I mean are you eligible to sit for the exam. Aka, do you have your 150 credit hours or your states equivalent. Anyway, I'd recommend talking to career services. The window for entry level hiring for the next busy season is probably finished, but people are always dropping out so I'm sure HR and recruiters should still be interested in talking to you. LinkedIn is also a useful resource.

I'll try to see what I can do. Thank you for the advice.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Also, not to cross any lines here, but I can get your resume at least looked at in my firm, so feel free to PM if you like.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PatMarshall posted:

Also, not to cross any lines here, but I can get your resume at least looked at in my firm, so feel free to PM if you like.

Well I'm in California so not sure if that works out.

But in good news I just got hired into a tax firm that does community work. And soon I will be in an interview to do full time accounting with benefits.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My family and I had a laugh today. Local news was reporting on the accounting shortage. They said tons of millenials and Gen X are leaving the accounting industry for finance or tech for better hours and pay. And even people with promising accounting degrees don't want to do the job anymore.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm a half step away from giving up my super cushy job to take the next steps somewhere else, with a huge pay bump and title upgrade, and gently caress I kinda don't want to. I like my company, coworkers, and current work/life balance, and stepping into the unknown is scary, but the offer is sooo good. It's so clearly and obviously the right choice and I'd be a fool not to take it. Goddammit

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Covok posted:

My family and I had a laugh today. Local news was reporting on the accounting shortage. They said tons of millenials and Gen X are leaving the accounting industry for finance or tech for better hours and pay. And even people with promising accounting degrees don't want to do the job anymore.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not complaining, because it's an amazing opportunity for those of us who are growing their practices.

I'm pretty sure I already have more new clients lined up for the upcoming tax season than the total number of new clients I picked up last tax season. Some are coming from a practitioner who died over the summer. A few are coming from an accountant who abruptly retired and didn't sell his client list nor provide clients a few practitioners as a reference. Nobody wants to work anymore!

I sincerely hope you enjoy your tax season off. When your noncompete has passed, if you are thinking of getting back in the game (even if just part time as a second job), I promise you that there will be a lot of opportunities at better firms than the one you left.

Good Citizen posted:

I'm a half step away from giving up my super cushy job to take the next steps somewhere else, with a huge pay bump and title upgrade, and gently caress I kinda don't want to. I like my company, coworkers, and current work/life balance, and stepping into the unknown is scary, but the offer is sooo good. It's so clearly and obviously the right choice and I'd be a fool not to take it. Goddammit

I usually think that if you're interviewing for other positions, it's probably time to move on, but I'm wondering if this is a time to let your current employer make a counteroffer?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I gave my accountant employee (I run a small business) a raise from $30/hr to a salary of $80k, but I told her that I'd need her to increase her hours from 35/wk to 40/wk. They started just over half a year ago. They accepted as long as they get to work from home on Fridays. I think everyone is happy?

They told me that they want an accounting clerk/assistant next year to help out, and I told them that I'm open to it, as well as hiring an external firm to help with bank recs and reporting on a monthly basis.

I'm so happy that I don't do our daily accounting anymore. I almost wish I didn't know accounting because I would have pawned this off to a dedicated employee or outsourced it way earlier.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Missing Donut posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not complaining, because it's an amazing opportunity for those of us who are growing their practices.

As someone in this exact position, I'm really hoping this holds true where I am. Been doing my best to network and get my name out there and hopefully I can pick up some of the clients floating around. I know there's a couple local shops that are charging way below market rates, but I'm banking on them being too slammed to pick up additional work or complete it in a timely manner. Fingers crossed!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

About to start my VITA this season. Any tips I should know from fellow goons before I drown in setting appontments, tax prep and clients? I wish to do my best to aid those in need without burning out.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

How many days are you doing? Generally I've just done one day and get either assigned to intake or if your experienced you go upstairs and work on prep.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
A friend needed 35 hours of CPE as of yesterday afternoon. Real FAFO energy there.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Audax posted:

A friend needed 35 hours of CPE as of yesterday afternoon. Real FAFO energy there.

I've got 8 more to do before tomorrow night.

I thought it was 4 but I'm not sure if the ethics 4 hr course I did counts for the 24 hrs of Tax I'm trying to do for the year(NYS rules). First year with CPE requirements and I should not have left it so long!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Is California the only state that ties CPE due date to license expiration rather than calendar year?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PatMarshall posted:

How many days are you doing? Generally I've just done one day and get either assigned to intake or if your experienced you go upstairs and work on prep.

IIRC January to April. I passed my beginner and advanced prep asessments and just need to get hands on experience from calls, appointments, filing forms with a supervisor and more.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Were you the person who was struggling to find a tax job? I’m honestly stumped if you were, most places can’t find anyone to hire

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ungratek posted:

Were you the person who was struggling to find a tax job? I’m honestly stumped if you were, most places can’t find anyone to hire

Specifically the one struggling to find any accounting job during my senior year. Good news I did pass all my courses so I should get my bachelor's degree of accounting.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got 8 more to do before tomorrow night.

I thought it was 4 but I'm not sure if the ethics 4 hr course I did counts for the 24 hrs of Tax I'm trying to do for the year(NYS rules). First year with CPE requirements and I should not have left it so long!

4 more left to do....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

I had a nightmare that I still had a tax season at my new job and that I should get ready for 50-90 hour weeks soon.

I think I'm traumatized.

Covok fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 31, 2022