Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Zour
Aug 1, 2006

King Chicken posted:

If you want to get into accounting, taking one of those diploma courses could be a good start, but you'll eventually need a bachelors degree to get anywhere in the field and obtain a CA, CMA, or CGA designation. Likely you'll be starting off as a clerk in A/R and A/P with that education for about $40-50k per year. I believe that CGA is the most friendly group for upgrading from a diploma, so I'd recommend you take a look at the steps you'll need to take once you finish the short course and decide now if you want to get it all over with at once.

With a diploma you can start CGA training, but you need one to complete it.
CA and CMA designations require degrees before even starting.

That said, CGAs are no where near the level of CAs and their salary reflects this.

Back to the OP though I know I may be a little late on this one, but look into becoming a tax lawyer. Have you ever seen those people who drive around in limousines throwing hundred dollar bills through the sun roof? Those people are tax lawyers. I am not joking too, those guys make more in 2 weeks than the average American does in a year. I have not looked into it a hell of a lot, but from what I have heard you can expect a 7 figure salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Zour
Aug 1, 2006

Buskas posted:

You're missing the point.

You do not just get an LLM or CA/CPA and automatically are a candidate for tax law. You have to have a demonstrated passion and talent for the field, and usually a firm indicates they believe this before you choose to pursue an LLM or CA/CPA with a tax focus.

My father is a partner at a major Canadian law firm and leads its tax division for the city in which he resides. No, Canadian lawyers do not make as much as their US counterparts and cruise around on yachts all day.

E: The point not being MY FATHER, but that tax law is a competitive field and entrance into it relies more on commitment and talent than what letters one has behind their name.
No one is making the claim that once you have a CA and LLM that you are all of a sudden making millions by sitting on a private yacht. There is no field where being lethargic about what you are doing lands you a good job. However, if you decide you want to go there with your career and have a CA/CPA with specialization in tax and an LLM it is a hell of a lot easier to land a job as a tax lawyer.

Also, the ones that do have a CA and LLM do rake in the cash.

Mr. Zour
Aug 1, 2006
I think I need some advice, I'm in Western Canada and am going for the CA designation. I took the first articling job offered to me at a medium sized firm and I'm starting to think this was a real mistake. I started 5 months ago and since then I have been billing a lot of my time to General Admin because there's no work or doing simple compilations and tax returns for small clients. When I talk to people that are further along than I am it looks like its going to be a while before I start getting any assurance hours and it'll be 2+ years before being promoted from a junior. So I am pretty concerned that staying here is going to push me back further before getting the hours for my designation

What I am wondering is is it worth looking into other opportunities or are other firms going to be more of the same? Before coming here I worked for 2 years in a bank doing an IFRS transition, so I have a a bit of work experience and have been crushing my CASB modules so far.