Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How hard is the CMA exam compared to the CPA exam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I laughed!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Northeastern University has a dual MS Acct / MBA program that's just 15 months long. It's for non-accounting undergrads to boot. When I visited last month (I was at Sloan and saw an ad for this program in the Sloan paper), the NEU recruiter bragged about their 99% placement rate.

I don't know how much a NEU MBA is worth in Boston, much less my home state of California. Still, for someone like me who only took a two accounting classes in college, this might be a relatively quick way to CPA-land...

http://www.cba.neu.edu/grad/accounting-mba/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Ribsauce posted:

I don't understand how that program is possible. I do have an accounting undergrad degree and as far as I know I can't get a masters and an MBA in 15 months anywhere

Yeah, I don't get it either. They even stick a 3-month internship in the middle. (guaranteed)

Does the prestige of a Masters of Accounting school matter?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cicero posted:

99% of interns that responded back to us about whether they got a job got a job!

well, at least they teach creative accounting :downsrim:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

AbbiTheDog posted:

Run my own practice, 90 hours weeks are the norm until 4/15.

I hear there are goons in *this very thread* offering to help you for free! (I guess it's for the CPA experience requirement?)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

scribe jones posted:

Just to get out of the house really. Otherwise I might get sick of Civ4 and that would be a tragedy.

OT: this may interest you http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sid-meiers-civilization-v-preview

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm not an accountant, but if you're talking about startup small businesses, the above sounds profoundly unhelpful.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

rockin peanut posted:

How is consulting/tax planning unhelpful to a small business? :confused:

Now that I re-read his post, you're right. For some reason, I smelled some big-established-business language. :confused:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Reztes posted:

I'm in California, graduated in June with a degree in finance, and have been working part time for a local small business, basically just doing their bookkeeping in QuickBooks. I've been kicking myself for not just majoring in accounting when I had the chance, but now I plan on getting the extra accounting units I'm missing at the local community college and taking the CPA exam as soon as possible.

What's the most worthwhile way I can get work experience or build connections in the meanwhile?

Hah, that's cool. I'm about to finish up my 24 units here in Orange County this semester. Try networking with your community college professors--at least two have been full-time working accountants as well.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

unterdude posted:

Another OC community college accounting goon. IVC here.

I just took Individual (206) & Corporate (207) Tax this summer. Huie is a good prof, really liked her.

But as I told Reztes in a PM, I'm bouncing between colleges because they don't seem to always offer what I want to take when I want it. So I've got a few units here, a few units there...an AA doesn't really matter to me since I've got a bachelor's from Berkeley. Just need those 24 units!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SupermanIsDead posted:

I just wanted to say that the CA, CMA, and CGA are all merging into one entity: CPA. So it won't make a difference which title you have now because in 10 years there will only be one accounting title in Canada.

Eh? I don't see anything about the CMA merging into the CPA here: http://www.imanet.org/ima_home.aspx

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Aqualung posted:

Wrong country.

IMA is a worldwide organization :colbert:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Aqualung posted:

You don't really get a taste or real accounting until the end of Intermediate I. That Kieso textbook someone linked is pretty good but even that doesn't get into the actual complexities of accounting. If you're curious, I suggest you try to see what the next course in the accounting program is at your university and go from there.

How far is the Kieso book from the CPA exam? I'm at page ~1150 now (Intermediate III) and I'm really not sure how much longer I want to be studying this. Am I ready to go into a 9 month Becker program?

For reference, I'm just kind of studying accounting for fun--I have a day job with not much overlap.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If nothing else, applying for that job will give you an idea of your marketability and improve interview skills.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Captain Beans posted:

Are there opportunities for people who are skilled at accounting but don't want to be an accountant? Do I need to try auditing or some kind of consulting?

Why not take/pass the CPA and then go back to personal/smallbiz tax? If you have the credits, it'll be a year of hell for a potentially life-changing payoff.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

flyingfoggy posted:

Random request for any other students out there: I already own the 13th edition of Kieso intermediate accounting and my class now requires the 14th edition. If anyone can scan and send legible copies of just the exercises (not brief exercises or problems... just the exercises such as E16-1) from chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 23 of the 14th edition I will paypal you $25. This is maybe 40 pages and should only take about an hour. Send me a PM if you can do it or have any questions!

Have you checked wileyplus? I did all my homework online but I think the exercises are just lifted from the book.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Captain Beans posted:

I was going to try and help out but apparently my purchased WileyPlus version doesn't include the exercises. Only the MC and TF.

Even the online only thing is a raw deal, $98 for an online access code.

For my community college classes, the online text was sufficient for literally three intermediate accounting courses, so it is potentially a steal. I didn't realize this until I had the dead-tree book, of course, but literally all of the text was on WileyPlus. Not bad.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Lemmi Caution posted:

I would be studying in or around Orange County, CA where there are a lot of community colleges and small universities. I just don't know where to start looking or what to expect to pay. I also intend to do this as quickly as possible, so I need a place that's able to let me take a full load of all these courses.

I finished up my 24 units of accounting (had 6 from undergrad) in the last year here in Orange County. Used a combination of Irvine Valley, Coastline, and Santa Monica community college courses. They were easy. But I was just planning to take the CPA exam for fun/personal enrichment so I have no real job advice for you :(

Just search the college websites. You're kind of hosed on spring semester because the demand for accounting seats exceeds the supply, so sign up early and often..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't suppose anyone has a spare plane ticket, then?

Or, more appropriately, any particular overseas recruitment agencies that could pull in excess trained staff from across the waves? Seriously, given the differences in gap, there must be a couple, right?

I know's there's a special Australia-US visa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-3_visa if you happen to have Aussie citizenship..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

N.N. Ashe posted:

Hey what are some of the cheapest/easiest/quickest ways to go for some distance learning upper level accounting courses?

I took Intermediate Accounting A, B, and C through https://www.smc.edu - cheap for California residents. Think it cost me $80.

e: the classes fill up super quickly though

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I could've done it all in two semesters while working full time+ if the California community colleges weren't so damned impacted

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Why not just prep returns with your CPA? I'm assuming you have one because you passed your exams...

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

MiTEG posted:

I feel like this might be a dumb question, but can I list my current position as "accountant" on my resume? I'm not a CPA, but I work directly with the company controller and handle most of the accounting side of things. We have a bookkeeper that does almost all of the data entry and the controller spends most of her time determining who we pay, how much, and when.

This is in California.

I think it's a reasonable question given how some other professions work. For example, even if you have a masters degree in architecture, you can't legally call yourself an Architect until you pass the architecture licensing exam. http://www.architectmagazine.com/legal-issues/trust-me-im-an-unlicensed-architect.aspx

Bet the AICPA wishes they had this kind of jurisdiction over the "Accountant" designation.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Because you didn't mention any work experience I'm having trouble seeing what value you'd get out of an MBA straight out of undergrad.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

WarpedNaba posted:

This isn't to say I'm not also at fault, I've got an issue with attention to detail.

I am beginning to have extreme doubts as to whether this profession is right for me.

This is the part that worries me above all.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
More responsibility is in itself not a bad thing, this is how people get promoted after all. You can ask for a better title and more pay, or if you must, an assistant. Be careful hiring an intern, they can be more trouble than they're worth...

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

TreFitty posted:

Hoping for a miracle here: I will likely be bringing my soon-to-be wife to America in a little over a year from Korea. She has her BBA in Accounting from a Korean University and works for the biggest bank in Korea right now as a teller. Tellers in this particular bank need to have quite a bit of experience and study quite a bit to get the job, so it's not like the tellers we have in America (as I imagine them anyway).

Why not have her work in a Korean accounting office in a Ktown? Don't know about Seattle but there is a huge community just west of downtown LA.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SirPhoebos posted:

So I'm looking to begin an accounting career after taking a rather roundabout route to getting the qualifications for it. I graduated in 05 with a degree in Political Science, but I was completely burned out by politics at that point. After a bit of faffing about I took a basic accounting course at night and was surprised to find that I was really interested in it. After about 7 years of night classes I managed to get the educational prerequisites to sit for the CPA exams and passed them all. In the meantime, I've been working at a law firm a little over 5 years as a billing clerk. Right now the only thing I need for full licensing is a year of actual accounting experience.

I'm open to any and all advice at this point.

Did you take a Becker course et al? I've also been taking online accounting classes over the past few years and am thinking of taking the CPA exam.

What employment opportunities have you explored? Cold calling local accounting firms, going to local chapters of accounting professionals, accounting principals, robert half...?

e: Have you read the Vault Guide?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SirPhoebos posted:

Would you mind explaining what the Vault Guide is?

Man, sorry to hear that the apps so far haven't worked out. Passing the CPA exam while working full-time (not at an accounting firm) sounds loving hard.

The Vault Career guide is a basic career primer that was given out in pdf form by my alma mater. They've got a version for consulting, banking, etc.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Forensics will get you on the job training that I can't imagine being less valuable than learning to do sound design and music, unless you really like making inoffensive music for corporate environments.

Also, you might be making music for restaurants that want autoplayed music on their website. And I would not be able to forgive you for that.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Your first link seems broken.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You'll probably make some mistakes, but you'll probably also have a mentor at the CPA firm who you can call/email with dumb questions, right? If you want to be promoted, I suspect that more responsibility will help, but if you don't even like where you work now...

e: there is a career path thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3533210

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Forensic accounting is a real job, but it sounds like you need a general overview of the industry. I suggest checking out the Vault Guide to Accounting from a library or career center.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ThirdPartyView posted:

Why would the GMATs be relevant for sitting for the CPA exam?

Because each state has different requirements for sitting?

Ohio posted:

To sit for the CPA exam as a first-time four-part candidate in Ohio, follow these steps: You will need 150 hours* of college credit and either:

A baccalaureate and 150 semester hours (225 quarter hours) of college credit. In lieu of 150 semester hours, a baccalaureate or associates degree and a score of 620 on the Graduate Management Admission Test.
30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting (or 24 semester hours in accounting, excluding principles) with coverage in these five subject areas: Auditing, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Professional Ethics and Taxation.
24 semester hours in business courses (36 quarter hours) other than accounting courses. Economics and information systems count as business subjects.
Note concerning accounting course requirement: One course in computer information systems, if begun prior to May 7, 2003, counts as an accounting course. However, courses in accounting information systems will still count as accounting courses.
Note concerning business course requirement: One course in each of the following subject areas, if begun prior to May 7, 2003, will count as a business course: (1) English or speech, (2) Statistics, (3) Sociology or psychology, and (4) Ethics (taken in the philosophy department). Courses in above subject areas are specifically tailored to business (Business communications, Business statistics, Business ethics) still count as business courses.
The candidate submits to the board's administrative agent a letter from the appropriate educational institution with the examination application. The letter must state that the candidate will meet all educational requirements for admission to the CPA examination during the examination window following the date of application.

The candidate must sit for the CPA examination after the educational requirements defined are completed.

A candidate who sits for the CPA examination under the conditions described above must submit to the board's administrative agent all final official transcripts and applicable supporting documentation no later than the last day of the month following the window in which the candidate sits for the examination.

The board may cancel any examination scores received by a candidate who fails to meet the requirements.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ThirdPartyView posted:

Not sure how a 620+ on the GMATs can act in lieu of an additional 30 credit hours, though? :confused: I took the GMATs when I did an MBA and it really has nothing to do with actual studies (no more than the SATs). It just seems like a really stupid rule to provide a 120 credit hour 'out' and avoid forcing everyone to take 150 credit hours (why not just let people do 2 years of experience instead if they want 120 credit hours as was the case in most states before the 150 credit hour policy was implemented?).
Yeah, tell me about it. The 2014 CA extra class-specific unit requirements above and beyond 150 units is annoying too..

Bugamol posted:

I guess my main three questions are: Am I spreading myself too thin? Which of the above do a highlight when creating my resume moving forward? What skills (if any) am I missing that would be expected of an industry accountant at 2 years?

I will be working on my CMA this year, and starting on MBA a year from September if I stay at my current company. My mid term goal is a Corporate Controller position and then eventually VP Finance/CFO.

If you happen to be in Orange County, CA, I'd suggest checking out the IMA-OC monthly dinners for networking purposes. Bunch of CMAs there.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You could always get certified. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=77-882#fbid=HqWS1ELfYNd

I took it last weekend and it was boring as poo poo but now I have a nice piece of paper saying I don't suck at Excel.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mush Mushi posted:

You live in California? It might. Under the old 120 unit path, you need 24 accounting units and 24 business related units--48 units total. Assuming this latest development goes forward, you can become licensed under this path if you pass all four exams by December 31 of this year, because you will be given a 2 year extension to get the work experience requirement. Previously, the word was that if you did not have ALL of the components for the license by the end of 2013, including 2 years of work experience, you were out of luck.

Haha yes, screw you online Business Law at Santa Monica College. Who needs ethics anyways?

Now let's see if I can pass AUD without having taken an Auditing class..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sometimes I sit here at my small biz, overwhelmed with all the accounting, marketing, legal, IT, and operations work.

And I wish that I could just sit in a corner undisturbed with spreadsheets and Prosystem Fx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

js86 posted:

I passed the last part of the CPA exam a few months back and am planning on taking the CMA in January/February. Has anyone else here taken the CMA exam?

No but I would like to. Are you using Gleim, Wiley, Hock, or another?