Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
I've read numerous times in this thread about how important it is to get an internship, but what does one do if they're getting their Bachelor's through e-learning/distance education?

My idea is that once my wife's done with her Masters that I'll go back to school for Accounting through either night classes or, preferably, distance learning/online classes. I prefer to go this route because she's getting her Masters in marine biology, which means we could move anywhere at any time for her job, and I intend to work a couple part time self-employment jobs as I do this. For reference, I already have a Bachelor of Arts in mass communications, and I'm looking to change careers, especially since I haven't worked within my major since graduation about seven years ago.

I suppose this is a question on the validity/wisdom of obtaining an Accounting Bachelor's through distance learning as well. I don't mean going through an online only establishment like University of Phoenix is (or was), but rather applying to an online program through a brick and mortar school (Troy University was recommended to me by a co-worker). Would I be hampered in job searching because my degree was completed online instead of the more traditional fashion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Starting to mull around the idea of going back to school for Accounting, mainly for the idea of stability (accounts are likely going to always be necessary I figure), don't mind doing the same thing day after day or doing office type work. What I'm looking for is a way to obtain an Accounting degree through online courses. I'm trying to steer away from the University of Phoenix/Virginia College type stuff, but Google searches bring up those type of schools right off the bat as results.

Does anyone have suggests on what colleges/universities offer worthwhile online Accounting programs, or would it be better to go brick and mortar school for this? I'm in the Eastern Shore area of Maryland, and Chesapeake College is not that far away, but I was hoping to go the online route so I could more easily keep working my independent contractor jobs while I go to school.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Moneyball posted:

You say "go back" in your post. Do you already have a bachelors degree? If not, then depending on the number of credits you have right now, you could probably find a community college to take some online courses and then later on if you're able, go to a four year school.

If you do have a bachelors, I believe you can take a few foundation accounting courses then apply to an MS program in accounting somewhere, and there are a good number of those out there.

Gradschools.com should have some good resources. So far schools that stand out to me and don't seem to be for-profit schools are Auburn, U of Michigan-Flint, Rutgers, Umass Boston, SUNY-Utica, U of Maryland, Uconn. I'm sure most of the others I didn't name are also legit, but didn't stand out to me.

I do have a Bachelor's, in Mass Communications, and I got that in 2003. I figured that I'd have to start fresh, considering my previous degree is a BA. If that's not the case, then that's great to know.

Thanks for the gradschools.com tip, I'll have to poke around there later. Nice to see that so many of the big name schools offer this type of program.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

ThirdPartyView posted:

You'll have to take the GMATs for an MS or MBA in Accountancy program, just as a heads up.

I had a feeling. My wife had to do the GRE when she went for her Marine Biology Masters, so I figured there was an equivalent for an MBA. What is the GMAT like? I know the GRE was like the SATs on steroids, so is the GMAT similar?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Harry posted:

Are you looking to go into public accounting specifically? If not, you could probably get by with an accounting certificate and your degree right now. I work in industry and spend quite a bit of time just proof reading various written reports.

Not specifically public accounting, I suppose, at least not yet; probably wiser to get a certificate and work in industry and then go back to school later if I do want to go the CPA route. I actually had a job as a proofreader (more of a legal proofreader though), so what you're doing is something I could certainly do. What all does obtaining an Accounting certificate entail?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Probably a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I'm going back to school to change careers from insurance to accounting, working full time and taking classes online. I figure an internship is going to be part of the program later on. Are most/any accounting internships paid, or does it depend on the firm? If not paid, does anyone have advice or experience on how to do an internship when you need to work full time too?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Felter Chesthard posted:

I would imagine it depends on where you live but there are a lot of paid internships where I am (Southern California) and consequently those were the only ones I applied for. The bigger need is participating in the schools accounting association/Beta Alpha Psi and especially attending any meet the firms events.

I've read that too, and wondered how I'm going to pull that off with my setup. The school is Penn State World Campus, for what it's worth.