Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
I'm an auditor at a local firm, so I don't audit public clients.

I think the jobs pretty good. I work 50-55 maybe ten weeks a year and then 30-45 hrs all other times. I don't think the work's very difficult, I don't think it's that boring (but I'm pretty dorky), and I don't work that hard. I surf the internet at work and occasionally read novels in my cube and noone really cares. There are aspects of the job I don't like, especially office politics and travel, which I abhor, but for the most part, I have a job that isn't too stressful or time-consuming and it pays enough that I can live a comfortable lifestyle and save up a lot of money.

Keep in mind my experience will differ a lot from those at a national firm, because I don't do control testing, I don't work with groups larger than four, I work mostly in my own cube, and don't follow PCAOB crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
Hellblazer you might want to look at Ryan and Company. They are a tax consulting firm, not a CPA firm, and they hired the two accounting students I know in my program that had law degrees.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008

Desertfox621 posted:

So, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have two basic choices as a new graduate, a job in audit/assurance, or a job with my current (private) employer. I really want to move into audit, but this private employer has offered me a job as the corporate controller. ~20mil in revenue/yr, 75 people, mid-sized I guess. My question is, if I take this job, would it be harder for me to transition to audit later on? For example, if I hated it, in two years would the CPA firms laugh me away? Or would they see a controller's experience as a plus?

No, the experience would look good but you would still have to start as a staff1 most likely.

A lot of people hate audit, I'd take that private position if it pays more.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either. They even stick a 3-month internship in the middle. (guaranteed)

Does the prestige of a Masters of Accounting school matter?

Yes. But only for the first job and it won't get you a higher salary. That program confuses me too. How do you get 72 hours and an internship in 2 semesters plus 2 summers?

Btw, they have to be lying about the 99% of interns get an offer. Yes chances are good that interns will get offers, but 99% is ridiculous.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Well, there's the possibility that I'm just not trying hard enough, too, I suppose. Like I said, I'm not sure I come off well in applications and cover letters, and I know my interviewing skills aren't the best, which I'm working on.

I'm looking mostly in the Houston area, but have expanded my search to look all over. I've talked to quite a few staffing firms in the Houston area too, and all of them say that my qualifications are really good, but they don't have any entry-level jobs. I do get an interview with some place or another every month or so (last was with Du Pont) but it never pans out, and my CPA exam credentials are all but ignored by the interviewers.

And yes, I've passed every section of the CPA exam on the first attempt, in 2011. Lowest score was regulation with an 80; highest was auditing with a 95.

You need to start cold calling and emailing small CPA firms in Houston and ask for an interview. If you're willing to go into tax there's a ton of firms in Houston. Audit may be trickier to get into because the large Houston-based firms hire out of college and can be picky, and small firms with auditor typically don't hire entry-level.

Look at EEPB and Ham, Langston, & Brezina. I've worked for one and with the other as an industry accountant with their auditors and can tell you that the both firms have quite a few that aren't going to win popularity contests or are very bright apples.