Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bleh
Jun 13, 2003

The day of an accountant really depends where you work... Do you want to work public or private? For the government? Do you want to work for big firm or small firm? There is a lot of opportunities for an accounting major to choose from.

The thing about accounting is companies still need them regardless of the economy. Business will always need financial statements and will still need to file tax returns regardless. Also release of new financial regulations and tax laws also help keep the job in demand.

I don't think you need to be great with math to be an accountant just good with working with numbers. You'll be spending a lot of time with Excel and using a calculator.

As far as legal/accounting this would help if you got into Merger/acquisitions and will also show employers that you hopefully know how to do research and understand legal terms which will probably come up a lot in your job (tax laws,financial regs, etc.).

I like my job but I think it really depends on where you work. I work for a small firm so I do different things everyday. One day I could be filing a return for a NFL player the next day I researching whether a companies racecars are advertising expense, or a partner draw.

bleh fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleh
Jun 13, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

The work isn't bad - it's cool to know the ins and outs of financials and tax. I am happy to have learned all I know about tax law, but I'm afraid it may not be for me as a career. Working all day without talking to anyone is a bit too soul-sucking for me. Other firms may be different, but for me the lack of human interaction is harrowing at best.

Yeah not talking to anyone must be specific to your job/firm, I'm sure you have a chance of getting that in any office job, it depends on the people you work with not the job. My small firm is pretty social my boss takes us out to lunch every day and he also has a wine cooler and Johnie Walker in his office for when we need all need break. Also, I'm working with some auditors from KPMG right now who chat all the time.

bleh
Jun 13, 2003

BlueArmyMan posted:

I suppose this is a question on the validity/wisdom of obtaining an Accounting Bachelor's through distance learning as well. I don't mean going through an online only establishment like University of Phoenix is (or was), but rather applying to an online program through a brick and mortar school (Troy University was recommended to me by a co-worker). Would I be hampered in job searching because my degree was completed online instead of the more traditional fashion?

On your resume you would just state your school name, major, and GPA. So they won't even know until you went into an interview and then they may not even ask. I never had any one ask me if I took classes online but I haven't interviewed in a while. I think the school you pick and/or your GPA would have a greater effect.

bleh fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 13, 2010