Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Fearless posted:

The little darlings require a pretty substantial amount of space... particularly if you require multiple enclosures.

Yeah, it’s like having a herd of tiny sheep—they need space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is this respiratory failure? edit: video removed

Tom's been like this for a bit. He's over three years old now, so taking him to the vet would be pointless, they'd just say to euthanize him for any problem at that age.

He's deaf and blind, has been for a year or so, but still trucked along fine until now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 28, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nevermind. he just died in my hand. I guess it was.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Damnit dude I'm sorry. They hide their illnesses so well, but three years is a good long life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's okay, I'm just glad I was with him at the end. I wouldn't want to be alone either.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Invictus posted:

It's okay, I'm just glad I was with him at the end. I wouldn't want to be alone either.

You did right by him.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I have posted previously about Bellona, the youngest (and fiercest) of our three pigs, and her ovarian issues. The lupron injections began to lose their efficacy in December, shortly before Christmas. We initially suspected it had to do with them being older shots as we had picked up the medication back in September and kept it frozen since then, but a subsequent shot in late December barely lasted all of two weeks before it was clear that the poor girl was very uncomfortable, occasionally incontinent, picking at her fur along her sides and generally miserable. So after consulting with the vet and with each other, we took the decision to have her spayed. This was nerve-wracking in that we are quite aware that guinea pigs have a risk of complications from anaesthesia that is far higher than a cat or dog, but given that Bellona is young and otherwise healthy we felt obligated to make the decision for her sake. Anyways, she had her surgery a week ago and did well and has been recovering and healing without issue ever since. While she is experiencing gradually reducing pain from the incisions, she is obviously much more comfortable and more like her usual energetic self. Happily, the surgery was accomplished in only two incisions rather than three, so she didn't have to have the third incision on her belly (though the vet shaved for that just in case). Her fur is growing back quite quickly too!

Anyways, here is our little lap lion earlier today:

E: Those are not ribs visible-- those are rolls in her side-lard.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Good news!

Seriously that's hilarious. How much of them is fur compared to body. She looks very happy though!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cowslips Warren posted:

Good news!

Seriously that's hilarious. How much of them is fur compared to body. She looks very happy though!

It depends heavily on the breed. Abyssinians like Bellona look a lot bigger than they really are because much of their hair stands up on end in wild rosettes and crests. Normally, Bellona herself has a long, flowing plume on her bum and something of a mohawk on her head-- hence the name. The Roman goddess Bellona was often depicted with a crested helmet as she was a martial goddess. Here is a picture that helps convey what I am describing:

Our boss pig, Juno, has a magnificent bum crest that runs perpendicular to her spine and across her hips and makes her look enormous. She is also an Abyssinian and while she's got some real gravitas (she's 1150g), I wouldn't exactly call her gigantic. Here she is on the left with our third pig, a silkie named Clio on the right:

Here's Clio getting her hair done about a year ago:

Of the three, Clio looks far, far larger than she really is because of the mass of all that hair-- when she is standing, her feet are hidden by all that hair and not surprisingly she requires grooming at least twice a week (which she loves). So most of the time, it looks like she floats around without any clear means of locomotion. Clio is surprisingly swift, so much so that sometimes she appears to teleport.

Despite all of that hair, she is of a comparable weight to Bellona-- both are around 1050g-- though Clio looks far, far bulkier due to her hair.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So glad to hear Bellona is doing well after her surgery!

I lost a pig over the weekend after a two week battle to resolve some teeth issues that I thought we'd finally found the answer to. Was eating again and happily screaming at me for more treats, and then the next day just...crashed. The worst gut stasis I've ever seen. RIP Mommy you were a very good pig.

I've still got two pigs, one of which was Mommy's offspring, and they are pretty quiet in there now. I had been actively looking to adopt another pig for a while but it was hard to find just single pigs available. Looks like I will now be trying to adopt two.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alright, still on the hunt for some news piggies but in the meantime I've finally got a pig cam back up and running. Still tinkering with things a bit but at the moment this link should always redirect to the current live stream:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcGROzwcPCVlXd0VuLZMTiA/live

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

Alright, still on the hunt for some news piggies but in the meantime I've finally got a pig cam back up and running. Still tinkering with things a bit but at the moment this link should always redirect to the current live stream:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcGROzwcPCVlXd0VuLZMTiA/live

Double posting bc I adopted a new pair of pigs and they are full of baby energy and being generally adorable on the stream. :3:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I hope this is the correct place to show this off, but I need to show off our lovely little chinchilla Applesauce, who has been a great beacon to our lives for the last six years:

And as a bonus, the Chinterfell castle my partner built for him so he'd have an extra place to hide and eat hay in.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 27, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nope, sorry, wrong thread entirely. You are now required to post EVEN MORE PHOTOS of your adorable Chinchilla friend as punishment though.

Those are the rules, sorry.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, sorry, wrong thread entirely. You are now required to post EVEN MORE PHOTOS of your adorable Chinchilla friend as punishment though.

Those are the rules, sorry.

Well shoot, far be it from me to break the rules:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Clio, being proactive at supper time: