Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a small store that sells out of their pets for sale frequently, so I'd call ahead if you do plan on going there to maybe pick up a ham.

It's kind of a bummer seeing it in the state it's in, the guy is clearly at the end of his rope trying to keep things operating by himself, he used to have a partner working there but now it's just him and he's both trying to maintain the store and also handle customers. I feel for the guy, he's a hard worker and the hamsters he's sold me have generally been less neurotic than petsmart/petco hamsters(probably a bit older before being weaned if I had to guess) so I want to see him stick around if possible. the store's gotten a bit messier probably from him just not having time to tidy up amidst customers coming in. I was glad to see multiple people come in and buy stuff while I was there, at least.

here's some pictures of Tom and Harry. Dick's sleeping under her bedding right now so I'm not going to disturb her for a photo op.

Tom is itty bitty, the tiniest little thing, and weighs nothing. he peed on me and I didn't notice because the spot was the size of a dime

Harry after a long day of freaking the gently caress out and constantly trying to climb her water bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's Dick, asleep in the corner. she is a very angry and aggressive hamster. also very fat.

"WHAT. WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW."

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Those are some adorable Hams :). Dick really is a little chonker with quite the death stare.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Captain Invictus posted:

for some reason, I seem to be far, far more allergic to the champagne-haired syrians than others I've had before. I wonder what the cause is, I had one in my shirt and well, now my entire upper torso and shoulders/neck area is inflammation and hives
linked image of hoivs

Oof I get that when I hold Russer. Him and Kirby are both at least partially crested-breeds but only Russer makes me break out, but I'm 99% sure its because he never ever ever grooms his own fur. You can see the dander on him and he'll go days with the same pit of hay stuck in his crest or fruit bit in the corner of his mouth if we don't grab him and wipe him down. He screams the entire time, of course. He's not even a senior he's done this crap since he was a baby, he has no excuse. I love him but he's just a living angry potato.

-CHA posted:

Happy Holidays from Dipper and Pokè
These pics are beautiful omg. They look like professional Christmas card illustrations or something.

Continuing my late holiday post, we lightly wrapped Russer in some wrapping paper (I'm a horrible person I know, he'll murder me for my crimes someday) to see what he'd do. He sat motionless inside for about 10 minutes seeming pretty comfortable. It was a burrito-style job, the end with his face was entirely open and overall it was loose enough that he could have walked out at any time.
How it started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1s-C1YlT28
How it went https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2D4yo8VV4
He decided to turn around and exit through the taped side dramatically like a horror movie monster reveal rather than just...walking out the open end. He's not a very bright guineapig.

On the opposite end of the pigbrain spectrum, I trained Kirby to do tarot card readings :confuoot:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else notice a huge lack of hamsters in the chain stores lately? I'm wondering if it's covid related or something happened at the hamster mill.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My stores have had a lot of small pets missing. I think it makes sense; there’s a pandemic and a pet is a way to pass the time without leaving home.

I had a really odd situation where my shelter had my guinea pigs at a PetSmart that I had to drive over to pick up once I finished all the paperwork and paid the fees.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I've noticed the empty pet stores around here in Atlanta, too. I actually have a funny recent story about it.
My husband and I had a possible covid exposure recently and were gonna get tested as a precaution (we both turned up negative), but all the testing sites we were able to get appointments for were drive-through only, and we don't have a car. We got there too early and had to kill about an hour before our awkward walk through he drive through of the CVS. There was a PetSmart near by so we decided that was an ok way to kill time, just stand around in our masks and gloves, don't touch anything, and just watch the critters behind the glass for an hour. Not a problem, we veg out for hours at a time just sitting in front of our guinea pig enclosure watching them. My husband calls it "watching tv". Loitering in PetSmart is the most fun way we could possibly spend an hour while socially distancing!
We go in, nothing, nada, zilch. No guinea pigs. No hamsters. No rodents of any kind. Ok well that's a let down, maybe there's birds? Nope, no birds. Reptiles? One snake taking a nap.
My husband did the most depressing thing possible and waved at the empty cages and kept saying things like "Aww, such cute piggies! Look at the babies! Hello piggies!", pretending to point out specific ones and describing their fur colors and what they were doing. It was sooooo heartbreaking.
:smith: "nooooo babe you're scaring me stooooooop"
:unsmith:"what? don't you see the beautiful piggies? awww....they're popcorning, see? Such good piggies here today..."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/crazynabe/status/1349696668548038659

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bandai Arts channel on Youtube is cycling out an episode each week. Latest one is Episode 3, it'll get replaced with Episode 4 tomorrow I think.

Also Pui Pui Molcars absolutely needs more love.

edit: This is the Bandai Arts Channel where they're uploading it officially.

And episode 3, while the link's still good;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev6pGQVWNSw

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 25, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

One of my pigs stopped eating his little vitamin c cracker. Both used to gobble it up, but now I gotta pick up this bozo for him to eat it. He eats normally otherwise, and even will take carrots and peppers from me. But if I dangle this treat in front of him, nothing unless I pick him up. It’s so weird.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Our nepita has been quiet the last couple of weeks. It’s nice, because she sits still for long periods at a time and we can pet her. I hope there’s nothing wrong with her, though. She looks healthy.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 30, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pants Donkey posted:

One of my pigs stopped eating his little vitamin c cracker. Both used to gobble it up, but now I gotta pick up this bozo for him to eat it. He eats normally otherwise, and even will take carrots and peppers from me. But if I dangle this treat in front of him, nothing unless I pick him up. It’s so weird.

He has trained you well.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
My pigs used to refuse to eat orange slices, only accepted vitamin c in their water. then they acquired a taste for fresh oranges and now refuse to drink water with vitamin c drops in it. Fickle creatures.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sometimes he’ll eagerly take treat like his brother, other times he’ll stare at it until I pick him up and give it to him. And I have to, because his brother will absolutely steal it from his sibling’s mouth, so it’s important they eat at the same time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So we took in an adult (8 months ish) campbell's dwarf hamster girl. She's come from a home with two kids and had to go because their mom was allergic.

Now, I've had some C. dwarf hamsters before and like to think I know the ropes, but truth be told it's so long ago I'm not really sure what she needs. She has plenty of tunnels, shredding for bunching up inside and a wheel she loves using.

What should I know about human contact? She comes to hands and will eat out of them, but won't accept being picked up. We're perfectly willing to accept if she's never going to, as she's rescue and it's mostly about giving her a good retirement - but if we can make her more tame, of course we're interested in that.

How about nutrition? The former owners fed her a ton of popcorn and dried pea treats which seems unhealthy, but apart from plenty of raw greens, what should we try?

Thanks in advance!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Tias posted:

So we took in an adult (8 months ish) campbell's dwarf hamster girl. She's come from a home with two kids and had to go because their mom was allergic.

Now, I've had some C. dwarf hamsters before and like to think I know the ropes, but truth be told it's so long ago I'm not really sure what she needs. She has plenty of tunnels, shredding for bunching up inside and a wheel she loves using.

What should I know about human contact? She comes to hands and will eat out of them, but won't accept being picked up. We're perfectly willing to accept if she's never going to, as she's rescue and it's mostly about giving her a good retirement - but if we can make her more tame, of course we're interested in that.

How about nutrition? The former owners fed her a ton of popcorn and dried pea treats which seems unhealthy, but apart from plenty of raw greens, what should we try?

Thanks in advance!

For human contact, keep up with the hand feeding treats, let her climb into your hands on her own. It might take a while for her to become comfortable with being held, each hamster is different.

Nutrition wise, this site has a good list of hamster appropriate foods: https://www.thesprucepets.com/feeding-pet-hamsters-1238968. Plain popcorn in moderation is a good treat, My hams really enjoy popcorn, Raw pepitas, hard boiled egg whites, spinach, broccoli and bits of cooked pasta.
Dwarves are more susceptible to diabetes, so sugary treats and fruit should be kept to a minimum. I have had good experiences with the White Mill Hamster mix. as it has good protein and nutrients. I add in some lab blocks as well, but in my experience the dwarves I had never cared much for the blocks.

Another good thing for Dwarves is Bathing Sand, they love to roll around in the sand to get the oils out of their fur.

Hope this helps.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What's a lab block?

Also, she's started gnawing hard on my hand and her cage, trying to break out. It is admittedly only the fourth day since the move, but I don't like her nervous energy.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Tias posted:

What's a lab block?

Lab Blocks are a generic term for the large pellet style food. Mazuri makes a good quality block.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
here you go

https://youtu.be/UDIXZX5vXaw

my favorite part is where she explains that she doesn’t want to say how much she paid for it, but then tries to play it off as a practical matter because prices for custom aquarium work are different in different places

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Our hamster died very unexpected during the night. I posted here some time ago that she was very relax these days and sometimes remained still for a couple of minutes to be pet. She looked very relax and she didn’t seemed to have any health problems. She was a year and 4 months old and she came from a very nice guy who breeds hamsters correctly.

So we have no idea what happened. Like I said, she looked healthy. Do you guys think the fact that she sometimes sat very still for a few minutes was a sign? What else could have happened ? She ate and drank well, loved to burrow. I don’t know.

Never bit once! Always walk on your hand. Perfect bathroom etiquette. Gonna miss her.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

Our hamster died very unexpected during the night. I posted here some time ago that she was very relax these days and sometimes remained still for a couple of minutes to be pet. She looked very relax and she didn’t seemed to have any health problems. She was a year and 4 months old and she came from a very nice guy who breeds hamsters correctly.

So we have no idea what happened. Like I said, she looked healthy. Do you guys think the fact that she sometimes sat very still for a few minutes was a sign? What else could have happened ? She ate and drank well, loved to burrow. I don’t know.

Never bit once! Always walk on your hand. Perfect bathroom etiquette. Gonna miss her.

I'm sorry about your loss.

A year and a half isn't an absolutely unreasonable amount of time for a hamster to expire. She was definitely well into adulthood. Not really sure how stuff like obesity or chronic illness, cancer, etc manifest in little animals like these, but it's reasonable to imagine that many hamsters are just going to have shorter lifespans than others same as any other animal.

It does appear like you kept her on hay which may have harbored some kind of respiratory illness, fungal issue, etc. It could be that she was struggling to breathe during the times that she was pausing frequently. Not sure how common or okay hay is as a bedding material in general or in your area, but it's definitely not something I'm used to. Keeping stuff like rabbits, I'd certainly feed them hay but not line an enclosure or hide box with it. I'm not bashing you for using hay (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), it's just something I notice from your photo.

It's also quite possible that she was simply winding down and getting old

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unfortunately, they can also simply...stop. I've had that happen a fair amount as well. A year and a third is a decent length of time for a hamster, but the respiratory problem could be a thing. Randomly pausing for extended periods definitely seems like a weird action for a hamster to take, there might have been something wrong. They tend to hide it pretty well so I'm not putting that on you, but maybe if you get another hamster, try Carefresh or other bedding rather than hay? Especially if you are in a more moisture-heavy area.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus posted:

Unfortunately, they can also simply...stop. I've had that happen a fair amount as well. A year and a third is a decent length of time for a hamster, but the respiratory problem could be a thing. Randomly pausing for extended periods definitely seems like a weird action for a hamster to take, there might have been something wrong. They tend to hide it pretty well so I'm not putting that on you, but maybe if you get another hamster, try Carefresh or other bedding rather than hay? Especially if you are in a more moisture-heavy area.

The picture gives a bit of a skewed image of her cage.
We mostly used dust free hemp and something like carefresh dust free paper. There was some hay in the corner to play in, But this was definitely dry and from biological farming.
She never seem to have any breathing problems.
She wasn't really randomly pausing. It's just that, normally, when you held out your hand, she would come and sit on it, and you could take her and pet her.
But she would keep moving and eventually wanted to go back to her house. Whereas the last month or so, when you started to pet her, she would just let you and go for a nap.
It was very zen, but maybe it was also a sign that she was getting old.
Anyway, a good thing is that she didn't seemed to have suffered.
Because that can certainly be a thing, as everybody here probably knows.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What does it mean if a dwarf ham on occasion seems like it tries to dig out of it's cage? We keep coming up with new stuff to stimulate her, and she's largely content - so I'm mostly just worried if she wants to escape or if it's regular 'wow I saw a human' spazz.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tias posted:

What does it mean if a dwarf ham on occasion seems like it tries to dig out of it's cage? We keep coming up with new stuff to stimulate her, and she's largely content - so I'm mostly just worried if she wants to escape or if it's regular 'wow I saw a human' spazz.

How big’s the surface area of the cage?

Tias
May 25, 2008

About 2 square metres, with 2 levels built in.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Is it true that cambells can live together?
I thought they were mostly solitary hams like Russian dwarfs?
Found this lady who takes really good care of hamsters and has a new nest of fluff balls.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

mrfart posted:

Is it true that cambells can live together?
I thought they were mostly solitary hams like Russian dwarfs?
Found this lady who takes really good care of hamsters and has a new nest of fluff balls.

This is a tricky area. While in theory two cambells could live together, there is a chance of a falling out that could result in an unpleasant mess to clean up if one decides that they no longer like sharing the space and kill the other. All hamsters are content with living alone, so that is usually the best way to keep them.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

-CHA posted:

This is a tricky area. While in theory two cambells could live together, there is a chance of a falling out that could result in an unpleasant mess to clean up if one decides that they no longer like sharing the space and kill the other. All hamsters are content with living alone, so that is usually the best way to keep them.

Yes, that’s what I thought.
The lady who is selling them only has pedigree hams checked for diabetes and picks the young ones up a couple of times a day etc ... but she also claims Campbell’s like to live together, unlike Russian dwarfs. Anyway, we’ll stick to one anyway if the hamster doesn’t mind.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Ham still trying to escape, no matter the amount or degree of distraction we build into the cage. She bites the wall and tries to jump into the roof :ohdear: Any ideas?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Tias posted:

Ham still trying to escape, no matter the amount or degree of distraction we build into the cage. She bites the wall and tries to jump into the roof :ohdear: Any ideas?

That sucks. Can you feed him stuff out of your hand? Or does he just run away when you put your hand in the cage?

On a more positive note:

Here’s our new boys. Looking for names, suggestions welcome.

The lady we got them from only breeds campbells. She drove 8 hours to find a pure line of them since most of them here have been interbred with Russian dwarfs. And according to her, her hams like living together especially these two, since they’re brothers. We’ll see. They are hilarious, already making cage long tunnels.

Tias
May 25, 2008

No, she's reasonably tame in spite of rescue status. She'll sit on my hand and chill for short periods and will gladly eat on it - though she can bite if she has that escape mania :/

Congratulations on your hambros! Conventional wisdom says even brothers can kill each other when they come of breeding age, so keep an eye on them!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Currently have an 8 year old pig whose back legs have given out and yet he's still trucking. Devours kale and parsley like a boss.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Currently have an 8 year old pig whose back legs have given out and yet he's still trucking. Devours kale and parsley like a boss.

That is awesome but this post is missing a photo.

One of mine turned 7 a week ago and I forced her to pose for some photos with her 'cake':

She has some heart issues that are being managed but still steadily worsening, and generally hates being held/petted/looked at, but is still trucking along. :3:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Behold Doobie

Also congrats on the sweet 7

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Our rescue got in another guinea pig, and I offered to foster. Someone else got to him first; this was about a week ago. Then yesterday I get a text asking if I still want Teddy, because he's too much work for the family fostering right now. Sure, I say, I got a cage and everything from our last rescue (RIP Penpen, who had an inoperable tumor and was dropped at the shelter).

Then the lady mentions she would have the piggie, but right now she is battling fleas. Oh no, she doesn't have the piggie yet! She's just the contact. I get some more info, because at this point my Hell Yes is slipping to a gently caress NO. I have aquariums and reptiles and fleas would be insane to deal with. So the story goes, after some back and forth, lady X has the piggie. Lady A is the one reaching out to me. A has no contact with the pig. Save she and X will be driving together to meet me.

The answer stays at a gently caress No. Too bad, I was looking forward to a piggie!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I have tried looking this up to no avail: my pigs will sometimes make soft wheeks when I pet them. No other action, so I’m not sure they’re complaining or just content. I know they both hate being stroked across the bridge of their noses, as they headbutt my finger away when I do it. One also shakes his head when I try to scratch behind the ears.

It doesn’t sound like a particularly happy noise, but guinea pigs make some really weird noises, so it’s hard to tell.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
The seven foster mice we were looking after last year went to their new home just before Christmas. Four days ago we received two new mice:

Yuzu:

Mochi:

Today the guinea pigs spent a few hours out on the lawn for the first time in 2021:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pants Donkey posted:

I have tried looking this up to no avail: my pigs will sometimes make soft wheeks when I pet them. No other action, so I’m not sure they’re complaining or just content. I know they both hate being stroked across the bridge of their noses, as they headbutt my finger away when I do it. One also shakes his head when I try to scratch behind the ears.

It doesn’t sound like a particularly happy noise, but guinea pigs make some really weird noises, so it’s hard to tell.

Take a video and upload it here. It sounds like normal guinea pig behavior to me though, if you pet their faces and cover their eyes/nose, they will usually jerk their heads up to move your hand. Think they are a bit ticklish behind the ears too. And sounds like they're just making happy noises when you pet them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Half our pigs love being scratched on the chin while the other half hate it. One would even politely push your finger away with his paw.

Pigs are weird.