Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TIL: giant guinea pigs exist

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/cuy-criollo-giant-guinea-pig.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Clever Betty

lol I knew cuy existed but I didn't realize they got THAT big, jesus

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Capybaras are just giant, water-loving guinea pigs

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.

Soiled Meat

Not gonna lie, I did quite a bit of research on those giant pigs last night. Seems like a terrible idea for a pet, unfortunately. I'd love to have my huge guinea pig bring me my shoes so I could take it for a walk around the neighborhood and freak out all of the cats.

In other news, we had to say goodbye to our beloved Nooblet a couple weeks ago. Due to being a rescue, we weren't sure of her exact age, but probably around 16-17. She had quite a life: found in a cardboard box behind a strip mall, then spent a year at a rescue, then my fiance got her about 11 years ago. Turns out she was pregnant, and had a son, who died just a couple years ago (and a granddaughter, who is still going strong). In addition to outliving her own son, she outlived two different cagemates. Truly a survivor.

Lots of mysteries about this one. She was missing the ends of some of her front toes (didn't seem to bother her though), and had a little bite taken out of one ear. She also seemed to be blind in her left eye, and it would frequently get infected, so eye drops were a regular occurrence for her. With all of that though, she was a fantastic pet. Always happy, well behaved, and docile, never once bit anyone. I think she knew how good she had it. She also tended to have these "fugue states" as we called them, where she'd completely zone out for minutes at a time. She'd come back if touched or startled, but it sure was strange. Here's an example; she stayed like that for a good 5-10 minutes, not moving.

We noticed on a Monday morning that she had some diarrhea, and the vet said they could see her the following day. By Monday night she was super lethargic, and Tuesday morning she was barely hanging on and started convulsing when we moved her to the travel cage. Got her to the vet, who put her on oxygen, but could find only the faintest traces of a pulse, so they put her down. After her health issues last year (a respiratory infection followed by a parasite, most likely giardia) she had lost a lot of weight, but had managed to gain back a good portion of it. Nonetheless, we figured she was on her way out. Hopefully she didn't suffer too much in her last days.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 3, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It sounds like you gave her a great life. RIP Nooblet

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

RIP lovely little Nooblet it sounds like she was very happy and well loved

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sirotan posted:

Sorry you're having to do this. Sounds like he had a great life if he made it past 8. For my old ones I always hope I'll just walk up to the cage one morning and find they've passed away overnight peacefully, but it's been a long long time since I haven't had to PTS a pig. They can be tenacious little buggers.

Follow-up: We ended up not putting him down since it's a bitch to get in with the vet right now and we figured he'd go naturally soon anyway.

Little fucker's still alive, eating and drinking and taunting us. I don't even know.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Follow-up: We ended up not putting him down since it's a bitch to get in with the vet right now and we figured he'd go naturally soon anyway.

Little fucker's still alive, eating and drinking and taunting us. I don't even know.

I would watch the gently caress out of Guinea Pig Hospice (coming to Netflix in spring of 2022)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That rules, I'm really glad to hear it.

And I totally understand what you mean about getting in to see a vet. I had to find a vet today who could look at one of my pigs who was acting like she had something stuck in her mouth. I called my usual vet, and they suggested a couple other practices in town because they were completely booked, or they unhelpfully suggested "well you can always go to the emergency vet". Yeah gently caress that. I ended up getting a cancellation slot at another vet and of course by the time we got in she was fine. Meanwhile, my heart pig is having some difficulty breathing as of yesterday. I've sent a long email to my usual vet, I'm on the cancellation list for another vet, and have a May 19th appointment booked at a third vet. It's so incredibly frustrating right now when you need to see a vet for a semi-urgent but not emergency vet-urgent issue. The last time this happened I did go to the emergency vet and it cost me $$$$$. I thought over a year into the pandemic maybe poo poo had calmed down a bit, but I was wrong!