Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

naturalistic 👏🏼 bioactive 👏🏼 hamster 👏🏼 build 👏🏼

This is a thing I've very recently heard about and it's so appealing that I'm tempted to buy a hamster just so I could do this.

This is not a good reason to have a hamster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

RoboRodent posted:

This is a thing I've very recently heard about and it's so appealing that I'm tempted to buy a hamster just so I could do this.

This is not a good reason to have a hamster.

getting a ham ham outta the pet store and into a badass super close to outdoors living space is always a good reason

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

naturalistic 👏🏼 bioactive 👏🏼 hamster 👏🏼 build 👏🏼

do you know of any good guides? i wanna do this for gerbs one day

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/pervocracy/status/1459620010482147328

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Update on hamsters: I was told the black one was unfriendly and bitey, and the white/caramel one was sweet. Little dwarf ones.

Lady was colorblind.

Black Forest Ham runs over when I enter the room, and wants to be picked up and walked from hand to hand, and then into his ball. He will tear around the house, and seems to aim to hit into the cats direct.

Chicken runs like gently caress any time anyone looks at his cage.

Oh, Black Forest Ham also will grab at any cat who dares reach into his cage when I have the lid off. He takes no poo poo.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Oof, this is sad news:

Hong Kong to kill thousands of hamsters after Covid found on 11
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/18/hong-kong-cull-thousands-hamsters-covid-pet-shop-virus-animals?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If I read correctly, it’s not clear if the people got it from their ham or the hams from the people?

They’re advising people not to kiss their rodents. Do people do that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mrfart posted:

have you met a child?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Imagine thinking you could resist kissing this face, I contend that you could not

btw this is my brand new pig Nori, she is just over 5 weeks old now :3:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

mrfart posted:

Oof, this is sad news:

Hong Kong to kill thousands of hamsters after Covid found on 11
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/18/hong-kong-cull-thousands-hamsters-covid-pet-shop-virus-animals?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If I read correctly, it’s not clear if the people got it from their ham or the hams from the people?

I did not kiss my hedgehogs for obvious reasons. Or the hamsters, because Black Forest Ham would take it as a challenge to eat my lips.

But cavies? They need to be kissed.

At this point I probably have all the brain worms from kissing various kittens, snakes, and cavies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

because Black Forest Ham

:swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

Imagine thinking you could resist kissing this face, I contend that you could not

"You want to do what to me? :stare:"

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Sirotan posted:

adorable

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

If kissing rodents is out, i guess I'm continuing to be single.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hey I am taking my pigs to their first vet visit tomorrow for a checkup. What should I bring with me? I got a carrier for the pigs, some treats. Should I bring a water bottle or anything else?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pants Donkey posted:

Hey I am taking my pigs to their first vet visit tomorrow for a checkup. What should I bring with me? I got a carrier for the pigs, some treats. Should I bring a water bottle or anything else?

I usually load up the carrier with a pile of hay and maybe some veg. Don't think a water bottle is probably necessary unless you're going to be away from home for hours and hours, mine seem to get most of their water intake from wet veggies anyhow.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loading up the carrier with hay was a great idea. I also brought a baggy full of chopped peppers to keep them happy. They got a clean bill of health from the vet!

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
We got ourselves two robos from nearby pet store (and 2 cages etc if they start fighting) we’re bit worried if they’re drinking at all. It’s been 2 days and the bottle level hasn’t moved a bit. How much do these adorable lil fellas drink?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pants Donkey posted:

Loading up the carrier with hay was a great idea. I also brought a baggy full of chopped peppers to keep them happy. They got a clean bill of health from the vet!

Your vet bills maybe paid, but thread tax demands photos of the guinea pigs in question (if possible) :goonsay:.

Also glad they're nice and healthy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kivi posted:

We got ourselves two robos from nearby pet store (and 2 cages etc if they start fighting) we’re bit worried if they’re drinking at all. It’s been 2 days and the bottle level hasn’t moved a bit. How much do these adorable lil fellas drink?

A bit. Check to make sure the ball isn't stuck and water is coming out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A while ago I saw something on Youtube from the LA Guinea Pig Rescue talking about pet insurance for guinea pigs (and other exotics) from Nationwide.. In the video it was advertised as being ~$75 annually per pig with a $50 deductible after which it pay out 90% of claims for approved categories. That sounded really great!! I finally got around to calling for a quote, and unfortunately it looks like they changed their rates, or at least that pricing is not available to me in Michigan. Thought I would pass along what I found, this is a quote for 4 guinea pigs:

The only plan available for guinea pigs is what they called their Whole Pet option. There are two levels to this, 70% reimbursement or 50% reimbursement:
  • 70% reimbursement was going to be $64/mo with a $250 deductible per-pig, after which they cover 70% of everything besides non-vet expenses, taxes, pre-existing conditions, training, breeding, some other things
  • 50% reimbursement was $50.30/mo also with the $250 deductible and same conditions as above.
With the 70% plan I'd spend $1018 before I could get anything back, and with the 50% that would be $853.60.

I take pretty meticulous records and in the last 7 years I have spent on average $1007/yr on vet expenses and pet medications, so the 50% reimbursement plan might save me some money, but I don't think the potential savings are enough for me to bother with it.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Black Forest Ham is starting to become the thread MVP, holy poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/fSX7UV6.mp4

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I need to get some vids of him in his ball, ramming into the cats' legs to make them move. He ain't got time for cats to stand around.

So far I have discovered his favorite snack is not lettuce or baby salad, even potato chips; it's kosher crackers. The unsalted ones. The mice refuse them (they prefer tortilla chips, so every once in a while I'll get the Costco bag and crumble up half of it to mix with their usual) but Black Forest will rip any bit from my hand, cram it in his mouth, and chase my fingers for more.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Apparently my new pig also came with lice and now my entire herd is infected. My vet completely misdiagnosed one of my pigs biting herself as being pain from ovarian cysts so I'm kinda pissed. It's a Sunday and I can't do poo poo about this because Ivermectin is sold out everywhere locally because of course it is. :rolleyes:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That is actually a huge fear of mine, bringing in an animal that has fleas or something else. Can you use food grade diatomaceous earth to help alleviate some of their itching?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cowslips Warren posted:

That is actually a huge fear of mine, bringing in an animal that has fleas or something else. Can you use food grade diatomaceous earth to help alleviate some of their itching?

Yeah it kinda sucks but I think sometimes it is completely unavoidable. I've had the new pig for 3 months now and I didn't notice any signs of lice for the first two months I had her. I'm sure the foster I got her from had no clue either.

I would not use diatomaceous earth, you'd have to dust their whole body and it would likely be not great to have them breathe it in, get it in their eyes/ears, etc. The day I noticed the lice I went out and got some anti-fungal shampoo that is safe for pigs, Nizoral, and gave everyone a bath. This wasn't going to kill the eggs but it purportedly is somewhat effective at eliminating the adult lice. Everyone seemed to be much less itchy for a good 2-3 days after the bath so I think it did some good.

Once I finally got ahold of the vet she recommended sevin dust which is a toxic insecticide that I wouldn't even put on vegetable plants, let alone live animals. She recommended using that over Ivermectin, and that I should make sure to apply it "in a well ventilated area". No loving poo poo. I am still absolutely mystified by this 'recommendation' and am actually going to see a new vet tomorrow to try and start building a relationship with a new clinic because :wtf:.

It turns out there was a formulation of Ivermectin that Tractor Supply had in stock locally that I just did not see at first. For reference it was Durvet Ivermectin Pour-On, 250 mL and the dosage instructions can be found here: http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html. We've gone through 3 rounds of treatments so far, the adult lice were dead within 2 days of the first treatment. Ivermectin is safe and has been proven effective on animals for decades now, normally it is very easy to find at a farm supply type store.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks but I think sometimes it is completely unavoidable. I've had the new pig for 3 months now and I didn't notice any signs of lice for the first two months I had her. I'm sure the foster I got her from had no clue either.

I would not use diatomaceous earth, you'd have to dust their whole body and it would likely be not great to have them breathe it in, get it in their eyes/ears, etc. The day I noticed the lice I went out and got some anti-fungal shampoo that is safe for pigs, Nizoral, and gave everyone a bath. This wasn't going to kill the eggs but it purportedly is somewhat effective at eliminating the adult lice. Everyone seemed to be much less itchy for a good 2-3 days after the bath so I think it did some good.

Once I finally got ahold of the vet she recommended sevin dust which is a toxic insecticide that I wouldn't even put on vegetable plants, let alone live animals. She recommended using that over Ivermectin, and that I should make sure to apply it "in a well ventilated area". No loving poo poo. I am still absolutely mystified by this 'recommendation' and am actually going to see a new vet tomorrow to try and start building a relationship with a new clinic because :wtf:.

It turns out there was a formulation of Ivermectin that Tractor Supply had in stock locally that I just did not see at first. For reference it was Durvet Ivermectin Pour-On, 250 mL and the dosage instructions can be found here: http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html. We've gone through 3 rounds of treatments so far, the adult lice were dead within 2 days of the first treatment. Ivermectin is safe and has been proven effective on animals for decades now, normally it is very easy to find at a farm supply type store.

Yeah do not dust DE on any animal with lungs or eyes or mucosae, like wtf lol

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

New vet today told me the old one was full of poo poo, Ivermectin is safe and proven effective and if for some reason it doesn't do the trick, they like to prescribe Revolution (selamectin). I've got some of that on hand too, just in case.

I brought two pigs in and they both got a clean bill of health. This is especially great since my other vet misdiagnosed lice as ovarian cysts and also told me the same pig had enlarged lymph nodes which could mean a low chance of lymphoma in the future, which of course caused immediate worry. New vet says she is in prefect health, lymph nodes feel normal, and that there is nothing to worry about. Huzzah.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I have never owned a guinea and the last time I had a hamster I was in grade school, but how the gently caress do you misdiagnose lice as cysts?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I have never owned a guinea and the last time I had a hamster I was in grade school, but how the gently caress do you misdiagnose lice as cysts?

Ovarian cysts are really common on female guinea pigs who have not been spayed, something like 75-80% of adults might have them. HOWEVER, for most it does not bother them in any way and they do not have any symptoms. The pig with lice (Tuna) has a sister (Salmon) with an obvious ovarian cyst (even I could feel it once I knew where to palpate) that was causing problems which she was treated for with a hormone implant at the same visit Tuna came in, so my assumption before today was Tuna has some small ovarian cysts and the vet did not look close enough to her fur to see the lice and just made an assumption that they were causing pain since I had observed Tuna biting at her own abdomen. That vet's office is still not letting people into the building with their pets so I could not actually observe the exam. But today this vet didn't find any evidence of cysts on a physical exam (we didn't do xrays or an ultrasound or anything) soooo honestly I don't know.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah do not dust DE on any animal with lungs or eyes or mucosae, like wtf lol

I meant in the cage itself, not on the animal direct.

I'm also confused about mistaking lice for cysts. I mean, aren't lice visible to the eye?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
About two weeks ago I picked up a piggie from a person in our cat rescue; she works at a pet store, and someone abandoned piggie in a cage there. So we have no real history on Peanut, but she is very quiet for a pig, and while a great eater and pooper, I am worried she has ringworm; her nose was furred, is now patchy bare, and I don't know if there is anything in her cage she can rub fur off on.

So I might have ringworm on my chest from when I held her right before I got in the shower. Ah weak.

edit: occurs to me she could have brought something far worse in, like fleas.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 29, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/scootertooter7/status/1520324757329166338

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pigs are just so stupid and docile that I can't really like them, but those three obviously like each other and that's a good thing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jedit posted:

Pigs are just so stupid and docile

:yeah:

Jedit posted:

that I can't really like them

:mods:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jedit posted:

Pigs are just so stupid and docile and that's a good thing.

We already know why they're great, no posts needed :blessed:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah good, first we made killer bees, then we made killer hams
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/27/gene-editing-turns-fluffy-hamsters-into-aggressive-rage-monsters-16721041/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

it actually makes perfect sense that reducing/eliminating sensitivity to chemical social signaling in social hamsters would destroy normal sex-specific social interactions/sex-specific behavior and also make individuals super aggressive as a result.

Pretty much the same thing happens in mice when you knockout/knockdown VNO signaling and make them unable to process pheromones/scent markers/etc.

It’s a pretty formative/famous line of ongoing work in that area of neurogenetics, I’m surprised it seemingly wasn’t on their radar here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This is how we inevitably get Rage Zombies.... :ohdear: