Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is how we inevitably get Rage Zombies.... :ohdear:

Furty-eight Days Later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

Furty-eight Days Later

Squeak of the Living Dead?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

One of my pigs has gotten in the habit of biting after being taken out of the pen. It was just tugging on my shirt, but today he nipped my neck. I’ve had them almost two years now, and he’s started doing it in the past few months. During lap time he doesn’t do this, so I’m primarily worried about accidentally dropping him after getting bit.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
FEUCKING OATMEAL MAAAN

https://i.imgur.com/Ox0pB56.mp4

In which we discover that Speedy / The Orb likes oatmeal, a lot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some while ago I ended up moving chicken, the super frantic and running as soon as you look at him dwarf hamster, into one of the mouse rack trays. He lives by himself of course, no mice, but with less visual stimulus around, he seems to be calming down quite a bit. Still can't handle him at all, but that's fine.

Compared to Black Forest ham, who is in a cage in my room, anytime I walk by it he races over to that side and starts pawing at the glass because he knows I'll give him a treat or two. If one of the cats happens to look at him, he will try and smack at them through the glass, and then want treats. Treats range from dry cat food, dry cat food treats, bits of oats, bits of wheat bread, all kinds of vegetables and fruits, and once in awhile, a little bit of potato or tortilla chips. He is the most interactive rodent I've ever had. And man, nothing will ever taste is good to me as whatever he's eating at the moment because the look of absolute Bliss on his face while he's eating anything is perfect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They've only got 32 tastebuds, apparently, but they really make them work.

I miss having a hamster about. Maybe now Persephone is in late middle age and not guaranteed to outlive it we'll pick one up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So one of my pigs has had a bizarre change in eating habits. One day I went to their cage, and the food dish was still full of pellets around noon, which never happens. These little gluttons get their pellets eaten up in maybe 2-3 hours. Then I noticed he wouldn’t take the vitamin C treat, which they always eagerly snap up when offered. His brother did go through a fussy period where he refused to eat the treat unless I put him on my lap, but when I tried that here he still refused to eat.

Now it’s and off, where sometimes he eats normally and then he just eats sparingly. He only eats part of his red bell peppers when usually they chow down. What’s strange is that, this morning, he refused the treat from my hand, but eagerly went in and stole his brother’s treat right out of his mouth and greedily wolfed it down.

He’s drinking normally, and isn’t acting any different outside of eating havits, so it’s just weird. I have an appointment with the vet, so hopefully it’s nothing serious. I thought it might be due to replacing his old hidey with a newer one, but he’s never reacted this way to a new hidey before.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Has he lost weight? If he has you can be relatively sure this isn't just a behavioral thing. If you aren't already I would highly recommend weighing both of your pigs regularly (you can get a cheapish kitchen scale for this), I do this weekly during the regular cage cleaning. Pigs are so bad at showing symptoms of illness, a sudden weight loss that isn't perceptible from a visual inspection can give you an early indication that something is wrong before it turns into an emergency.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He is down about 0.2 pounds, from 2.4 to 2.2lbs.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In a week? That's not too bad. I was thinking maybe it was a teeth problem until you said he snatched a treat out of his buddy's mouth and ate it no problem.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nah since I weighed him at the beginning of the month.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My son's hamster died suddenly sometime yesterday. :( We discovered it last night when we realized we hadn't seen him the whole day, whereas normally he's highly inquisitive towards us. (and constantly begging to be taken out of his cage)
No idea when exactly or why. Likely the night before since I don't remember him coming out for his food refill, which he usually does as well. We did notice his cage had surprisingly little poop and urine to be found. My son indicated he did freshen up his food yesterday morning, even if he didn't think it was that necessary since there was still a lot of food there. But he's always been a very picky eater. A shame, the little guy hadn't even been with us for a year. Next week was his 1 year anniversary.

He looks pretty healthy. His behaviour had changed recently though, but not exactly worryingly. (he stopped climbing in his tubes to rummage in a dome above the cage)
I did notice his cheek pouches seemed full for the past few days, I'm wondering if he'd maybe had some growth in his mouth we never noticed.

This was also the gooniest hamster I've ever seen, his personal hygiene was really bad. Peed everywhere, where they normally pick a safe spot in the corner. Pooped everywhere.
Constantly had gunk build up on his nails. One time irritated skin causing his hair to fall out.
A month or 2 ago he even had a giant zit on his stomach where we worried it was a growth. The vet cleaned that up for the little guy.
Also the noisiest hamster I ever heard. Constantly making clicking noises and the occasional squeak. (which was ironically his name)

When we got him he was the most feral hamster I've ever seen, Ran away from literally everything. Constantly growling and hissing at us until we tamed him. :kimchi: That took some time.
He will be missed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think I might try getting some rats when my current hamsters pass on. I didn't think I'd give it a try with them since they live about the same but have so much more attachment, but maybe I should.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Rats are like land octopus: super loving smart and amazing and cute and they take a chunk of your heart every year or so when they die.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Guinea Pig got an X-Ray and no signs of GI or Bladder problems. Have an appointment next week for an oral exam.

Two employees at the vet came in to see him just because pigs were so rare at their place :kimchi:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
https://youtube.com/shorts/4j7KlPzbIAM?feature=share

Rod was making this weird noise this morning. Is he ok? :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

This was also the gooniest hamster I've ever seen, his personal hygiene was really bad. Peed everywhere, where they normally pick a safe spot in the corner. Pooped everywhere.
Constantly had gunk build up on his nails. One time irritated skin causing his hair to fall out.
A month or 2 ago he even had a giant zit on his stomach where we worried it was a growth. The vet cleaned that up for the little guy.
Also the noisiest hamster I ever heard. Constantly making clicking noises and the occasional squeak. (which was ironically his name)

sounds like he had problems

sure there’s a degree of individual personality variation among any mammal, and just like with humans some hamsters are gonna be cleaner/more social than others, etc, but big disruptions or deviations in major areas like grooming or bathrooming behavior are good evidence of underlying issues

like if an animal that should be fastidiously grooming itself isn’t, or avoids certain areas or doesn’t seem to be able to reach them, it can be a sign of neurological or pain or mobility issues and so-forth. Likewise, if an animal that should have well-defined bathroom habits is pissing and making GBS threads everywhere then it can be a sign of severe stress, or arthritis, or of incontinence issues stemming from a spinal/nerve injury (usually from being improperly handled by a human) or illness/tumor/parasite.

Incontinence due to injury is actually super common in small mammals, particularly if they’re kept by kids, and usually goes undiagnosed and treated as a normal part of an animal’s personality or expected behavior. Speaking from rabbit world, a lot of rabbits that get labeled “impossible to litter train” and “territorial” are actually handicapped.

I’m not saying this to blame/shame you or your family, or accuse anybody of improperly caring for your hamster or mistreating him. If anything it sounds like you went way above and beyond, getting him veterinary care which is something that many people would balk at for an animal as cheap and short-lived as a hamster.

Just something you want to be mindful of for the future. An animal that’s ungroomed or noticeably dirty is often an animal that’s unwell.

my condolences

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

sounds like he had problems

sure there’s a degree of individual personality variation among any mammal, and just like with humans some hamsters are gonna be cleaner/more social than others, etc, but big disruptions or deviations in major areas like grooming or bathrooming behavior are good evidence of underlying issues

like if an animal that should be fastidiously grooming itself isn’t, or avoids certain areas or doesn’t seem to be able to reach them, it can be a sign of neurological or pain or mobility issues and so-forth. Likewise, if an animal that should have well-defined bathroom habits is pissing and making GBS threads everywhere then it can be a sign of severe stress, or arthritis, or of incontinence issues stemming from a spinal/nerve injury (usually from being improperly handled by a human) or illness/tumor/parasite.

Incontinence due to injury is actually super common in small mammals, particularly if they’re kept by kids, and usually goes undiagnosed and treated as a normal part of an animal’s personality or expected behavior. Speaking from rabbit world, a lot of rabbits that get labeled “impossible to litter train” and “territorial” are actually handicapped.

I’m not saying this to blame/shame you or your family, or accuse anybody of improperly caring for your hamster or mistreating him. If anything it sounds like you went way above and beyond, getting him veterinary care which is something that many people would balk at for an animal as cheap and short-lived as a hamster.

Just something you want to be mindful of for the future. An animal that’s ungroomed or noticeably dirty is often an animal that’s unwell.

my condolences

None taken. And I will keep it in mind. We did actually mention his bad hygiene during both our visits to the vet, but she didn't have much to add except try to keep his nails as short as possible by for example putting a rock or some light sanding paper into his cage. But that's another one of those things, my son's previous hamster was with us longer had less to file his nails but never had any nail problems.

We were able to get him to change his behaviour somewhat by moving stuff around in his cage.
Anyway we've long suspected that there was something off about him. My wife was convinced he had super bad eyesight, like worse than the average hamster.
I mentioned the nails, but there's also the way we needed to domesticate him (I actually considered returning him, but I couldn't bare telling my son that), to his lack of hygiene and his utter inability to climb until later in life. And at that point he still straight out sucked at it. Our previous hamster literally never used the stairs and even briefly tried to climb across the ceiling of his cage.
There was just something odd about Squeak, even if he did ultimately become a good pet.
He was much more interested in us and the outside world than my son's first hamster. I'm just happy he got to know 2 completely different animals.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
how concerned should I be about my guineapigs getting into arguments more often than usual?
I don't even want to use the word "fight" because it never gets physical, just vocal.
I have three pigs, two are girls around the age of 2 and then one (neutered) male that's just turned 4.
Girls are named Olive and Ofelia, dude is named Russer.
They've all lived together for a year and never really fought at all, the girls like to steal treats out of Russer's mouth and he just chatters and rumbles and then starts staring at me to get him a new one. Otherwise they get along great.

The last week I've noticed Ofelia and Russer doing a bit of rumble strutting around eachother, and Olive keeps wheeking at the top of her lungs at Russer randomly if he approaches her favorite nap spot.
Weirdly, the other day I picked Russer up after Olive screamed at him, which made Olive start screaming at ME for picking Russer up.

I was gonna call the vet tomorrow to schedule their yearly checkup because it's about that time anyway and I'll mention it, I'm just curious if anyone else has gone through this?

No changes to anything in the house or their enclosure or their diet that I can think of. I've been cleaning up their poop every night too because they always get grumpy when their area is dirty. I've examined all 3 of them a couple times to make sure they don't have any bites, injuries, signs of sickness, etc.

Like I said, it's legit just the girls making lots of noise at the dude this past week. Mostly Olive being LOUD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1Hf6oi2LI
Btw this is them. From left to right, Ofelia, Olive, and Russer. They have a big fenced-in area, there's a cage inside the area but I never close it

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You have some gorgeous pigs. I would not be too worried yet, as long as they aren't physically attacking each other they're still getting along fine and this just sounds like normal herd dynamics. If someone is in heat it could cause some mood charges maybe. If it were me, out of an abundance of caution I would just have your vet check to see if she can feel ovarian cyst on the girls, they're very common and sometimes can cause some behavior changes.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
ooooooo heat would make sense!

Old vids but they show the average dynamics well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjUG6A3WYE
Girls steal from Russer, Russer comes begging to me for more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4ssW_FBr4
Excuse my drunken commentary

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
noticed a lump on the underside of my syrian hamster, so i made a vet appointment. she's definitely as active as ever, so i'm hoping it's nothing and she's totally fine, but of course i still worry. i guess, how concerned should i be that it's going to be bad news? she's only 11 months old, deserves the world and all the good in it, after all.

i mean, just look at that face. literally perfect, the epitome of hamster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crazed ball of fluff and slightly less gormless than average. I hope she's OK.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: nevermind, he's gone. I held him for a few hours, he did his normal stuff, crawling about a bit, cleaning himself, and then about 20 minutes after putting him away, he crawled into his nest and passed. poor little guy. :(

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 20, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: nevermind, he's gone. I held him for a few hours, he did his normal stuff, crawling about a bit, cleaning himself, and then about 20 minutes after putting him away, he crawled into his nest and passed. poor little guy. :(

Most animals hide sickness extremely well. But from the sounds of it, he went without pain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well I removed the post I had about possible at-home euthanasia but suffice to say he was suffering a lot since last night, and none of the nearby vets would take him, the closest one that would(that "handles exotic pets, which is hilarious on the context of a drat hamster) is out of state and charged me like $175 to euthanize the only other hamster I've considered doing that for. and I would have to register as a client for them again, which was stupid paperwork bullshit, and...gently caress it. by the time I would've taken him in and all that, it'd have only been a couple hours before he died on his own, turns out.

he had some sort of horrific bloating going on that manifested sometime in the last week, which googling shows is the sign of a variety of decidedly terminal afflictions, from heart failure to organ death to aggressive cancers. I did what I could to ease his suffering because it absolutely was not something he was coming back from, and even tried to quietly end it by giving him 5ml(10mg) of liquid oxycodone, but he just downed that poo poo like a champ and trucked on for another half a day like nothing happened(I guess maybe the oxy helped the pain, if nothing else), before the above post.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

well I removed the post I had about possible at-home euthanasia but suffice to say he was suffering a lot since last night, and none of the nearby vets would take him, the closest one that would(that "handles exotic pets, which is hilarious on the context of a drat hamster) is out of state and charged me like $175 to euthanize the only other hamster I've considered doing that for. and I would have to register as a client for them again, which was stupid paperwork bullshit, and...gently caress it. by the time I would've taken him in and all that, it'd have only been a couple hours before he died on his own, turns out.

he had some sort of horrific bloating going on that manifested sometime in the last week, which googling shows is the sign of a variety of decidedly terminal afflictions, from heart failure to organ death to aggressive cancers. I did what I could to ease his suffering because it absolutely was not something he was coming back from, and even tried to quietly end it by giving him 5ml(10mg) of liquid oxycodone, but he just downed that poo poo like a champ and trucked on for another half a day like nothing happened(I guess maybe the oxy helped the pain, if nothing else), before the above post.

About 2 years ago I had the difficult choice to put down my hedgehog, and I did not want to stress him out by taking him to an exotic vet where he would be poked and prodded before forced open to get an injection. So I looked online and found it at home euthanasia set up with CO2 that you can make with pretty much anything that you probably have in the house. The person who posted it actually used it on his hamsters for Mercy euthanasia, and I think he specified that the largest you could euthanize this way it was about 2 lb.

Baking soda plus vinegar Plus a container with a lid, like an ice cream bucket, and some kind of tubing, and most of all a strong resolution that they won't feel pain anymore, and you got it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh gently caress, you told me about exactly that back then and I completely forgot it. Thank you, I will keep that in mind, since I still have three hamsters and lord knows rodents sure like to die in the most horrible and often cruelly painful ways. I wouldn't use it as anything but a last resort, in this case it was 100% clear there was no coming back from his situation.

I honestly was ready to put him down due to the clear, constant suffering he was in, but I couldn't bring myself to physically do it to him. There's a part of me that thought "that just means you're a normal person" and the other part thought "but openly letting him suffer a protracted, inevitable death isn't normal either". So I tried the oxycodone which didn't work, and while I was deciding what to do and making a post here asking for advice, he passed on his own. I'm also guessing a rodent's metabolism is so ridiculous it cycled out the oxycodone before it could do anything to him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cowslips Warren posted:

About 2 years ago I had the difficult choice to put down my hedgehog, and I did not want to stress him out by taking him to an exotic vet where he would be poked and prodded before forced open to get an injection. So I looked online and found it at home euthanasia set up with CO2 that you can make with pretty much anything that you probably have in the house. The person who posted it actually used it on his hamsters for Mercy euthanasia, and I think he specified that the largest you could euthanize this way it was about 2 lb.

Baking soda plus vinegar Plus a container with a lid, like an ice cream bucket, and some kind of tubing, and most of all a strong resolution that they won't feel pain anymore, and you got it.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

I bookmarked this page a ways back because I had a pig with congestive heart failure during the lockdowns and wasn't sure if I'd be able to get to a vet in time when she needed to be put to sleep. Luckily, she had good quality of life for much longer than anticipated and my regular vet made time for me when it was time for her to go, and I never had to try this at home myself.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not going to lie, I've often thought that I'm sociopathic or the very least psychopathic because when I have a temper or I'm in a rage about something at work or etc, I can see myself killing someone. But when it came to actually came down to putting down urchin, and setting up the device, and running tests on it, I found it very hard to do.

I didn't want to do a blind run, so I found an older feeder mouse that was clearly getting on, had a few tumors, and was going to die pretty soon anyway. The CO2 chamber worked pretty quickly, I didn't hear any squeaks or panic sounds from the tote, and there was no distress or blood on the body to indicated she had suffered.

I still feel bad about it. And I don't think a few years ago I would have had it in me, but after seeing different animals suffering with different illnesses that there's no cure on, the idea of at home euthanasia sounds a lot better. At least for small mammals, again this only works at the end while I believe is two or three pounds or under. I can't imagine how big a CO2 chamber would have to be if you had anything larger like a rabbit.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
according to the vet (who i'm sure had the time of her life trying to contain Peach, the Wiggliest Hamster and had to scruff her to even get her to put up with the stethoscope), the lump she has is some kind of abscess-- she managed to drain most of it, and gave me the tiniest prescription amount of antibiotics to give her the tiniest drop over the next two weeks, so now i have a new question.

any tips on syringe-feeding antibiotics to a hamster who is extremely not interested in the antibiotics i am trying to feed her?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Get some liquified fruit and maybe also some sugar in there with it. Blueberries, strawberries, find out what they like and mix some in there.

Otherwise, just force it. One of my hams does not want ANYTHING but normal hamster food in her cage, no food given to her by hand whatsoever. so when I've had to give her stuff via syringe, it's just been getting the syringe in her mouth through struggle and effort, and then squeezing a little bit of the syringe at a time so she doesn't choke.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can buy 5ml syringes off amazon in packs of 100, and they will be the most useful purchase you've ever made. 1ml as well I suppose, for smaller animals.

Maybe mix it with something sweet and see if she'll lap it up?

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
i did get two teeny tiny syringes with her prescription at least, but mixing something into it sounds like a good idea; since the medicine isn't totally liquid, i ended up squirting it onto a pumpkin seed from her food and feeding it to her that way last night, but if she wises up and realizes i'm tricking her into taking her medicine, i'll see what i can do with combining it with things!! thank you.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
My pigs trio just had their annual checkup today, all are obnoxiously healthy. Except Ofelia had a treasure trove of disgusting ear wax that definitely wasn't there a week ago when I was playing with her ears. So now I gotta keep an eye on her ear goo on top of cleaning out Russer's poopy anal sack every few days :toot: Vet said there's no sign of ear infection or anything, just looked like gross ear butter.

Also the girls stopped with the weird bullying of Russer like the day after I made that post so it's all good.

Just finished hand sewing a bed/cage liner that I was working on for almost 2 weeks and Ofelia immediately christened it with a dozen turds :itwaspoo:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pasketti posted:

My pigs trio just had their annual checkup today, all are obnoxiously healthy. Except Ofelia had a treasure trove of disgusting ear wax that definitely wasn't there a week ago when I was playing with her ears. So now I gotta keep an eye on her ear goo on top of cleaning out Russer's poopy anal sack every few days :toot: Vet said there's no sign of ear infection or anything, just looked like gross ear butter.

Also the girls stopped with the weird bullying of Russer like the day after I made that post so it's all good.

Just finished hand sewing a bed/cage liner that I was working on for almost 2 weeks and Ofelia immediately christened it with a dozen turds :itwaspoo:

wtf is an anal sack

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s technically a (this is loving gross just fyi) scrotal sac where their genitals are at and it gets nasty with poop, fur, and smegma. As boars grow older their sphincter muscles weaken and any blockage could prevent regular pooping, so you have to take a q-tip or something and clean it out every month or so, including wiping down the penis.

It is the singular worst-smelling thing that has ever entered my nostrils, and I have worked in a lab with moldy cadavers.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s technically a (this is loving gross just fyi) scrotal sac where their genitals are at and it gets nasty with poop, fur, and smegma. As boars grow older their sphincter muscles weaken and any blockage could prevent regular pooping, so you have to take a q-tip or something and clean it out every month or so, including wiping down the penis.

It is the singular worst-smelling thing that has ever entered my nostrils, and I have worked in a lab with moldy cadavers.

I'm lucky that neutering Russer removed the worst smells, cleaning his just smells like regular old poop. Before it was what my husband described as "old man ball smell"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
help, my hamster absolutely will not shut the gently caress up

chichi is making a ZEEP noise and has been doing so for the last like 3 hours. she will not stop doing it. she's doing her usual thing in her cage, eating, drinking, etc, but continues to make this drat noise. what is causing her to do this? she's done it for hours at a time for the last 3 or so days, and it is cute and all, but also gets really annoying when I'm trying to sleep because she can make it real loud if she wants to

she's not in distress, her teeth are fine, she's just hanging out in her cage, but she's making this noise every 10 seconds or so. can hamsters get hiccups?