Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Here's my Siberian dwarf hamster, Raspberry. I traded a case of beer for him. He's a lazy little critter. We gave him a wooden food dish and he tears the thing apart. Lately he drug it to the entrance of his nest so he can gnaw on it without getting out of bed.

I love to mess with him by giving him really juicy pieces of fruit and watch him lick his hands for minutes, and lately giving him frozen fruit to see how long he can hold it without dropping it.

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

My hamster has a respratory infection. He's a russian dwarf, year and a half old, normally healthy as an ox. Three weeks ago I got generic pine shedding from wal-mart, that may be the reason he's sick., though I'm pretty sure he's been using pine or ceder his entire life. Would it be safer to replace all the shedding with toilet paper until I can get aspen bedding tomorrow morning? I don't mind shredding an entire roll of TP if it would be safer on his lungs.

I just went and got thyme, I plan to crush it up around him and try and make him taste thyme tea.

To clarify, he may have a bug like pneumonia or he may have gotten sick from the shedding. I don't know for sure if the shedding caused his illness, but on the chance that it did, would an all toilet paper nest be good for him? Just for 12 hours. Or would the stress of me handling him be worse than leaving him in his current home?

edit/ made him a toilet paper blanket and sprinkled thyme around his head. I've been reading that thyme is an herbal decongestant. There's no way I can make him drink the thyme tea though. I'll see if I can get him to a vet tomorrow. Any idea about the all toilet paper shedding for tonight?

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 29, 2010

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I just found a new favorite chew thing for my gerbils: pinecones! It's the time of year here where they're littering the ground. I'll go for a walk, find a particularly large one that's all opened up, and pick the spikes off with my fingernails as I walk home. If I drop it in the cage the two critters pounce on it like it's gerbil crack.

edit/ The internet suggests baking them in case of germs.

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 3, 2012

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I just upgraded from a 2'x1' cage (it's larger than it sounds) to a 55 gallon aquarium for my two gerbils, Sam & Crow. This tank is enormous and I'd like to add a 3rd critter to the mix. However I've read (from a single source) that adding a single gerbil to a pair of buddies is very difficult, split tank method or otherwise. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

edit/

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 20, 2012

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

How do I get my gerbils to like me?

I had two (Sam & Crow) last summer, they started in a smaller (2x1 foot) cage and they were as friendly as could be. If I talked, they would both come out to investigate the sound, and if I stuck my hand in they would come up to it looking for almonds.

Two months ago I got a 55 gallon aquarium for them and they were happy as gerbils could be, until Sam passed away. After a period of mourning I got two new gerbils to keep Crow company. The problem is I never see the other two, like, ever. All three sleep together in their nest (I can shine a light in and see them snoozing, all of them are still breathing) and if I talk and make commotion, Crow will still come out and be social but NEVER the two new ones. I'll hear them playing at night sometimes when I'm in bed but when I get up to look the two new ones dart back into hiding.

How do I fix this? How do I get the new ones to stop acting like skittish wild gerbils who are afraid of movement and sound?

edit/ my theory is that in the wild, gerbils are very shy. In a tank the size of a bedroom, they would be just as shy as completely wild. In a 55 gallon tank, it's so large that they never get tame (as opposed to a tiny tank where they get used to you very fast bc they have no other choice).

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 7, 2012