Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I can't decide if I want to get a group of robo hamsters or a syrian. I'm not too worried about not really handling robos (I already have a hedgehog to provide my fat butted wobbling about needs) but it would be cool to have a big lardarsed syrian. I'm slightly concerned that if I get a group of robos at some point the group might fall apart as I can't really have 2 or 3 separate cages for them. Equally I've wanted robos for ages. However there is an awesome syrian available to me who looks just like a slightly dark coloured wombat. She's a cutie :3:

I've got no idea what to do :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Nereid posted:

Get the syrian. At some point you're gunna want to cuddle. Robos are sort of dicks.

I think that's sort of what appeals to me about robos. They're just little hectic tosspots - I was going to put them on a shelf next to my computer so I can watch them while I work and stuff. That said syrians are pretty cuddly. It's a difficult decision :(

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I've held both and it just made me want both. I guess I'll go down tomorrow and see if I can spend half an hour with each and see how it goes.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Well the awesome syrian I saw unfortunately went to someone else so I got the three robos instead. They're awesome, I'll post some pictures when they stop snoozing.

e; they don't seem to be able to use the water bottle I got (it's one of the weird Ferplast Sippy ones). Will they be ok with a shallow bowl of water until I can get another bottle tomorrow and make a hanger so it will work in an aquarium or will they work it out eventually?

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2010

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I've watched them spend ages failing to get any water out of it. It has a really weird design which doesn't use a ball but rather a small rod that pushes in and I guess they've just never seen one before.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah I recently had a pretty bad experience with multiple robos and would advise that whatever kind of hamster you choose only get one of them. It will probably save you a lot of hassle in the future.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Get back to me when it's 5am, you're covered in hamster blood and trying to clean multiple bite wounds on a robo.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

They aren't rodents :colbert:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

My Robos claws are getting really long and there is no chance I can hold one of her legs still long enough to clip them even though I have proper small animal clippers. Any ideas?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Me and my partner rescued a hamster this week and named him Ratatoskr. He's not really been handled but seems friendly enough, also a bit confused by going from a tiny little cage to a massive metre long palace.

His big dumb face:

His cage. He ignores h-squat in favour of living in the sputnik.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah its a barney with the woodwork painted. The sputnik is pretty cool, I reckon he likes it because the tube makes it feel like a burrow. Also he can poke his head out and spy on us without getting out of bed.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

He's decided that the bottom of his tube serves as a food store, a urinal and and safe place. The same bit of the tube. Gross. Lucky he's so cute.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Your hamster looks like a shopkeeper.

He had carrots.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Thanks for the heads up. Lists online said it was ok but I guess they probably aren't 100% accurate. Never tried giving it to one before because I think it's proper grim. Ratta agreed and wouldn't touch the stuff either.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Ratta has decided he is tame already. Didn't really require any input from us.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Funny thing is he ended up in the rescue because no one wanted him. Apparently big ears, red eyes and white fur isn't a popular/cute combo according to the guys there.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

They are, aren't they.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Rescue hamster :hfive:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Ratta has started coming and waiting next to his door at 9.30pm every night until we let him out. If we aren't quick enough he starts chattering his teeth at us.

I think he's planning on learning to BMX tomorrow.

Also his favourite treats are carrot and apple.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Seconding the trixie wheel. Cheap, good sized and reasonably quiet. Easy to clean also.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Carrots are pretty good.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Whenever we give Ratta a whole peanut he disappears into his house with it, then after 5 minutes of crunching noises and the house wobbling he emerges with the empty shell to chuck it on his rubbish heap. It's hilarious.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

How big is the cage?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

We came home with a group 6 (six) gerbils from a rescue on Sunday. They are a father, his 4 sons and a baby the group adopted when his own clan rejected him. We've named them all after wizards - Stibbons, Big Mad Drongo, the Peverell brothers (Antioch, Ignotus, Cadmus - all identical) and Radagast. I will post pictures if they ever stand still.

e; and that video is incredible.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

-CHA posted:

Clover died tonight :(
She was a good little ham and I'm glad I was able to give her a good life.

Sorry to hear it. We had to have our hamster Ratta euthanised this morning too, it sucks.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

On a lighter note this is our old lady rescue gerbil Magrat.

Hanging out in a frozen mug to keep cool on a hot day

Sleeping with her nose pressed against the glass

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Currently have 35ish rescued gerbils in tiny squalid cages at my house. All huge mixed groups so I imagine most of the females are pregnant, and the conditions in some of the cages were really bad, saturated with urine. Some of them had really gross coats and stank of their own waste. We've cleaned them up as best we can, changed bedding, added enrichment and they're spending a few nights with us until we can move them to a dedicated gerbil rescue we have helped out before. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

7 youngsters in this tiny rusty cage, no nest or anywhere to hide.

14 youngsters and adults in this tiny tank. Probably the cleanest of the lot and it was sticky inside and out, assume from urine.

Another cage. These guys were in rough shape, their coats were dirty and stained and they were lethargic. A night in fresh bedding with somewhere to shelter and they seem much cleaner and happier. Their coats stank of piss.

4th tank. There was a layer of clean wood shavings on top, and as I went to scoop out a handful where the water bottle had leaked I dug down into filthy bedding underneath, dirty enough to make me gag. Soaked in piss and poo poo. Even the coconut was soaked through.

Absolute cuties though. Some of them are surprisingly good to handle, others run for cover as soon as you go in the room.

I really wish I had room to keep some of them, but there's three huge tanks in our living room as it is.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

In the UK. Nothing has happened to the owner as yet - they asked the rescue if they could surrender them and we are just transporting them. All the details will be passed on to the rescuer who I assume will take appropriate actions.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

They're all at the rescue and split into smaller groups in appropriate enclosures now. They should all find homes in due course.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

They are chainsaws in an overgrown gerbil's body. You know how destructive gerbils can be? Yeah, they can't even compare.

To fully put this in context we have gerbils and these are our sofas. Each piece of damage took them a handful of seconds.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate chinchilla breeders like that.

We were involved in a rescue of ~70 Syrian hamsters recently where the breeder was keeping them in old lab cages. I don't understand the mindset of treating animals like that while claiming you care about them, it's gross.

e; On an unrelated note this little old lady made it through her scent gland tumour removal on Monday without really missing a beat, and is back to her nosy old self already.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

They don't in a very objective sense.