Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cosmic_Jester posted:

Simply put, you take a length of fairly thick but bendable wire (I used flower arranging wire I got from Michaels)attach it to the base of the wheel with a thinner wire (also can be found at any craft or hardware shop)and suspend the wheel against the side of the cage with the newly attached wire.

Thats pretty awesome, probably going to do that for my mice now. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I recently acquired a little robo hamster. I love the little guy, we've had him for a couple weeks now and I figured by now he'd start settling in and not being as scared of me, but it hasn't been working out. He still won't take treats from my hand, just sniffs at my hand and then runs away. I've read robo's tend to be a bit shyer than most hamsters, but I didn't expect it to be this shy. I'm glad we got a "quieter" wheel for him though than our mice because man he runs on that thing way, way more than they do. I keep his cage right next to me whenever I'm home to get him used to my presence, and usually once a day I'll put food or a treat in my hand and hold it in his cage to see if he'll eat from it and nothing yet. Does anyone have any advice?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When people talk about minimum cage size, do you count total area if you have more than one cage or each individual cage? If I connect hamster cages together with that tubing poo poo?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Well the reason I ask is I'm an idiot and bought one that was a little too small, so I was just going to buy a second, slightly larger, one and attach it with the minimum amount of tubing. Not like some giant maze of tubing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

teenytinymouse posted:

They technically can, I think semi-social is the right term but there's always a risk of them fighting/murdering and eating eachother and they don't need companionship like rats, gerbs or cavies. I think anecdotally they're the ones least likely out of the dwarf species to go all murdery tho.

I was so so tempted by the little pile of baby robos I saw last weekend, they're so precious :3: I think the bar spacing on my only other cage is too big to risk it tho.

damnit really? I got a little dwarf hamster, not a robo, because the poo poo I read on the internet said you could keep dwarfs together without much trouble so long as you provided enough space and they each get their own food bowls/toys/wheels

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my little hamster bites me when i give him treats, i had to clean his cage today and he bit me when I moved him into a temporary enclosure, I got him not too long ago, will he grow out of that as he gets used to being fed treats and gets used to my hands?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It hurt a little, didn't draw any blood though. Felt like a good pinch. I did get him from a pet store, I tried to find a rescue or breeder near me but the closest I could even find mention of was an hour and a half or more drive. I sent them an e-mail asking a few questions and also if they knew anyone closer but they never responded. That was kind of a bummer.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i bought my hammy a new bigger cage and a couple times now he's squeaked out of nowhere. Before I bought this new cage, a Ferplast CAGE FAVOLA Black Hamster Cage from amazon, he never made any noises. Is he happy in there? Is he getting hurt on something? I go and check on the little guy every time he squeaks and he doesn't look hurt or anything.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how much space do you need for two rats for a cage? anyone have a good resource for preparing for rat ownership?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my dwarf hammy chews on her water bottle also. I have the ferplast double level cage I think its about 340 sq inches on each level. I've slowly been purchasing larger and larger cages because it seems like the recommended size keeps going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my hamster really liked the house with the blanket for a while then switched to digging holes then switched to an empty house. I figure so long as I'm providing all the options she's happy.