Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Well, I just love depositing our two pigs back in their nice clean cage and having them produce four poos within twenty seconds. Good effort lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ours comes in densely packed bags, once enough's been taken out I just put a plastic food bag clip on the top which tends to do the job. Part of owning pigs is having loving hay everywhere, embrace it.

Speaking of essential pig-owning processes, I cleaned Ozzy and Dio's perineal sacs for the first time the other day. Not nearly as horrendous as I thought it would be, but they're both young-ish.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I just gave my two pigs some fresh mint leaves for the first time. Their looks of initial confusion followed by furious chomping were amazing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Our pigs get excited by rustling, the fridge door and the kettle boiling, because humans making coffee = morning = food time! Except when it doesn't! But we don't care! WHEEEEEEEEK!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I love them trying to three stooges their way through it. :3:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Last night I was giving our two pigs some lap time and all of a sudden they both decided to scuttle up my chest (I was lying on my back) and sat with their faces almost pressed into mine. It was a bit unnerving so I deposited them back on my lap but they zoomed straight back up. Were they expecting me to disgorge food or something? Have they finally decided they're cool with me? They've never really done anything like this before, they're about three years old but we only got them from the previous owners a year ago, and I don't know how much they were handled then.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Captain Invictus posted:

That's adorable. :3:

So long as they weren't trying to bite your face, I'd say they're cool with you.

There was a gentle "are you food?" nibble but that's par for the course. When my wife came back into the room Dio freaked and tried to hide under my chin. :3:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You've only mentioned pellets and fresh food... is he also getting hay? Pigs need a more or less unlimited supply of hay as it's both a staple of their diet and keeps their teeth from growing too much. Our two boys probably have 70% hay, 20% mixed veggies and 10% pellets (they're useful to keep around just to insure against any deficiencies).

As for the fresh food, I'd maybe switch to non-sweet veggies for a while - he may be a little too used to the sweet stuff if he gets it with every meal. Some pigs can be picky though, try a bit of everything and I'm sure you'll find something he prefers. Herbs are usually a big hit - ours go wild for basil, parsley and mint.

Cleaning the anogenital cavity isn't that bad for young boars, just do it gently using a cotton bud with a bit of vaseline. This page has some pictures and decent instructions: http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

General pig-tip: we recently tried adding a very small amount of alcohol-free vanilla extract to the boys' water which has helped make their urine a little less pungent. A friend does the same for her mice so I think it's a general rodent thing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Captain Invictus posted:

Rodents do weird things with water bottles. My current batch of hamsters will knead the nozzle as if it's a teat.

One of our pigs, uh, deep-throats the tube.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

My limited experience with pigs is that they get quite attached to what they consider home, so the regular trips away might be a bit much for them. Ours got grumpy with their cage being shifted to the kitchen while we redecorated the living room.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

No worries, it's not something we knew about before we got our boars and you're right that in other respects pigs would be a great choice for kids - they're relatively docile, don't sleep in the day and won't escape under the floorboards.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

We've finally decided to give our two guinea pigs a bit more room and get them one of the C&C cages, and when it arrives I'm taking the opportunity to try toilet training them. Currently they have woodshavings for bedding, so I'm planning on switching to something else (fleece?) and filling a corner litter tray with woodshavings to encourage them to use it.

Has anyone else had success with toilet training pigs? Is this a fool's errand?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks for the responses! I experimented during floor time tonight and put a few paper towels down underneath their pigloo and sure enough they went back there every 10 minutes or so to wee or poo and chew the towels a bit. Nothing at all ended up outside the pigloo... until they both tried to get in at once and shoved it around a bit. :D But I'm really impressed as apparently they're self toilet-trained and I never knew. I just assumed rodents = wee and poo all day err day

When the new cage gets here I'll try switching them over to fleece bedding (we use fleece for floor time so it's great that they seem averse to going on it if alternatives are available) and a litter tray, maybe a covered one if that will encourage them to go more.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That's amazing. You just need a trained mouse with a rifle in a watchtower.

We've constructed the new cage for our pigs, unfortunately the toilet training hasn't gone so well. I got a large corner litter tray and filled it with their old bedding (throwing a few poops in to encourage them) and they pretty much ignored it and went wherever. I'm wondering if all the change was too much for them and have switched it for the paper towel lined poophaus we use during floortime. Hopefully I can use something familiar to get them used to going in a particular spot and then think about switching things up.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Condolences, hamgoons :(

We're away and our pigsitter sent us a message asking if she'd put enough hay in the cage.

Maybe a tiny bit more?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pigs are herd animals and get stressed if they're on their own. Another pig (or pigs) provides a continual gentle reassurance of "maybe the condor won't eat me first".

If you're going to mix sexes neutering / spaying is obviously a must, but I've been told that neutering doesn't really change pig behaviour at all.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah pigs, we spent all this money on hay for you so go ahead and lie on it while eating the newspaper sticking out from under your bedding.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Off the top of my head I'd try to keep the cage layout as similar as possible when you clean it out, keeping key things like water bottles in the same place every time. I'd also try to remove or limit multi-level sections where he could fall and injure himself.

Honestly I don't think it'll impact his quality of life that much - my (admittedly limited) experience with hams is they have fairly lovely eyesight anyway and rely far more on scent and touch when navigating. If he shows signs of discomfort or his behaviour changes dramatically I'd take him to get checked straight away as it could be whatever caused his blindness is doing other nasty things.

Fingers crossed and I'm sure Runt will adapt just fine.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah we have a pair of boars and (very occasionally) leave them overnight, they just need to be loaded up with tons of hay, pellets and fresh food beforehand. Guinea pigs are a bit more effort than hamsters (and I guess some other rodents?) but they are still pets on easy mode.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Xoidanor posted:

I will never loving understand how it makes any sense from an evolutionary standpoint for pigs to have the vocal capabilities that they do. :psyduck:

I've always assumed that their ability to breed as fast as tribbles means that any other selective pressure on pigs gets hosed into irrelevancy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

A foot at the most, pigs can't climb or jump very well at all.

e: also the one time we left our old pig cage open one of them managed to clamber over the 4 inch high wall, discovered he was somewhere strange with nowhere to hide and no hay or vegetables, and promptly tried to get back in

basically pigs are like this

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Is that her belly or haunch at the top?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You know when they lift up a leg and look like they're adorably cleaning their bellies? That's them eating a poop, fresh from the butt.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think there's a bit around 3 minutes in where you can briefly see all seven in the same shot (although one is cunningly the same colour as the bedding).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Wheeking is the standard HEY pay attention to (and feed) me noise, it means they're happy and excited. Scared or grumpy pigs make low rumbly sounds or chew their teeth at you.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Adult Sword Owner posted:

("hey! hey human! its me! look at me! NOWHATAREYOUDOINGDONTPICKMEUP *runs*)

This is 100% standard pig behaviour.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Captain Invictus posted:

would actively try not to pee on people

Truly the greatest ham that ever lived. RIP Max.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rodents are incredibly efficient poop machines. At least I have a compost bin now so I feel like I'm getting some value from our peegs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That sounds like a standard Curious Pig Noise, they're definitely not distressed or anything.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It can mean a few things, generally I treat it as an "I'm interested / excited!" noise. If he's pissed off you'll hear him make a low rumbly noise.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

In general pigs' pouches only get really nasty as they get older and can't expel everything themselves as their muscles get weaker. It's not a problem in the wild because in the wild there's no such thing as an old pig.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

republicant posted:

BUT I did get pooped on.

Welcome to pig ownership! :buddy:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Any pig-specific pellets should have enough vit c in that you don't need to give additional supplements. He'll probably have enough from the variety of veggies you give him tbh, they don't need much (though you can't give them too much so don't worry about that).

e: and a (occasional) bit of orange should keep him topped off nicely!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Mint is fine for peegs and they love it. The first time I gave our two boys fresh mint their reaction was initial shock followed by FURIOUS CHOMPING.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

As long as the water is kept in the fridge in a clean container I can't see any issues.

Also if high calcium content in the water is unavoidable then you might want to counteract it by reducing dietary calcium elsewhere: no carrots, spinach, broccoli etc. If you feed him pellets check the ingredients for calcium carbonate.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Please post the 30-50oz feral hog

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rodent thread: the only thing mine generally did was be extremely scared of it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Our pigs always tested things with a chomp. They have really terrible eyesight for detail and a thought process that goes "predator? food? sex?" on a loop so we just were careful not to leave fingers in nibbling distance.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pants Donkey posted:

Had a scary week m, with the AC breaking during 90° weather. My pigs handled it well, I gave them a bag full of ice to cool off, topped their water off constantly, and just kept a close eye in them. Just a bit nerve-wracking :ohdear:

When we had the pigs we used to keep a few small metal weight plates in the fridge / freezer and distribute them through the cage as little heat sinks. Probably not very efficient but they seemed happy with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jedit posted:

Pigs are just so stupid and docile

:yeah:

Jedit posted:

that I can't really like them

:mods: