Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

kazmeyer posted:

Excited guinea pigs are basically the best thing in the world. My girls are growing up, but I'll occasionally still get popcorning and tearing around when I do something as simple as clean the cage or put in an enormous pile of hay for them to play in, and it's always the highlight of my day.

At the pet store, I watched them put a new woven hay tent in for the guinea pigs, and there was so much popcorning and purring and squeaking. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Does anyone have a good resource page about chinchillas? I just got a facebook message from a friend asking what I know about them, so I've got a bit of a bad feeling. All I could say was that I know they need sturdy, solid wheels and dust baths, since that's pretty much the extent of my chin knowledge, so any help would be excellent in case it turns out to be a case where someone ended up with a chin and has no idea how to take care of it.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Thanks to both of you. It's interesting to learn about chins since I know so little. No word yet on why the info might be needed, so hopefully there's nothing wrong.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Merry Christmas SA, here's a webcam of my guinea pig's cage: http://stickam.com/tokyotofu

It will only be up for a while, and they just had a few hours of floor time while I was cleaning their house, so they might be pretty lazy when you do see them. But, enjoy for a bit. :)

I'm watching the white one eat hay. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

So my parents ended up getting a new guinea pig today. To my chagrin, they bought him at a pet store. :sigh: At the very least I know that they're very good pet owners and feed their pets very well and take them to the vet, but I think I burst my mom's bubble when my first reaction was, "Oh, you bought him? You should have rescued." But I'm right dammit! <:mad:>

In any case, I'm trying to convince her to bond him to her current piggy, who is very mellow and even-tempered. We've had bad experiences in the past with a very dominant male pig since they're not familiar with the bonding process and I live too far to make it work myself. I gave her the tip about the perfume, so if I keep at her about it, it could still happen!

Also, I think I remember reading that baby piggies need to at alfalfa-based pellets for a certain period of time, is that right?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Megalodon posted:

:3:

Probably one of my favorite PI rescue stories. I'm so glad to hear that the situation turned out so favorably in the end. :)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Bribe them with carrots. Then when they are munching you launch a sneak attack.

That will work for about two or three toes and then they will wise up.

And scream like you are murdering them. :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

They ended up renting an RV and organizing a cross-country piggy train, adopting them out to people in at least a dozen different states.

This is the most :3: thing I've ever heard in my life.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Part-Time Robot posted:

I don't own a chinchilla of my own, but I take care of my sister's a lot. Meet Sifl.

The other day he made the saddest sound and one I'd never heard before. My sister gave him a treat to chew on and he scurried up to the top of his cage with his prize. Suddenly, after a few minutes of chewing, he dropped it and it fell to the bottom of his cage. He looked down at it for a second and then made a long whine, almost like he couldn't believe he dropped it.

I love chinchilla noises though, especially when he calls for other chinchillas. He sounds like a squeaky toy. :3: He needs a buddy to play with though.

Videos of his cute calls would be very appreciated. Chins are literally just a little ball of cute. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Its so sad. :( Please help overrun it with pictures of your cute pigs.

What's more sad is that it's already overrun with morons who think it's not a big deal because they're "just guinea pigs." :(

On a lighter note, I'm visiting my parents this weekend and I get to see their cute piggies. This time is the time I am definitely going to get my parents to build a better cage so they can both live together -- or at least, try. Can anyone give me advice on cage-building?

Also, in regards to bonding, one of the pigs is a few months old and the other a few years. The older one humps the crap out of the poor little guy. I know this is a dominance thing and they're working out their issues, but the poor little guy clearly hates it and tries to escape. I'm pretty sure I should just let them be as long as there's no vicious fighting, but it makes me sad because little pig is distressed. :ohdear:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I think it's a little ridiculous to be offended by seeing a picture of a cooked animal that is eaten in many parts of the world, but I agree that the thread has gotten pretty ugly.

I was annoyed when I saw it because obviously the person posted it like "HAR HAR DED GINNY PIGS," when it has nothing to do with what happened. It's one thing when animals being raised for food, and another thing completely when animals are killed in a terrible way for no reason. Typical immature GBS.

And omg, so jealous of all the people with chinchillas. They're just fat little balls of adorable. It's ridiculous how cute they are!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

Nocturnal, complicated diet, hard to find vets for, requires a fair amount of effort to bond to them. Also assholes try to sell them as fun and easy pets..

Piss all over the cage, too.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Imaduck posted:

My landlord just told me she wants a $350 pet deposit for our pair of guinea pigs when we renew our lease. This sounds absolutely insane to me - when I've mentioned caged pets to previous landlords, they've always just shrugged and said "we just care about cats and dogs." Since our lease is up, I suppose they can do whatever they want, but I was just wondering what other folks' experience has been with pet deposits on caged animals. I'm also trying to figure out how the hell a couple of guinea pigs in a cage are going to cause $350 worth of damages.

If it's a deposit, it might be refundable. And if you were to actually keep your pigs irresponsibly, they could easily cause hundreds of dollars in damages. Imagine if they chewed the baseboards or a section of carpet -- would be pretty expensive to replace.

Best to ask if your landlord will negotiate with you on the fee, and if you'll be getting it back if there are no damages when the lease is up.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I ended up going to Petsmart and getting the chin they had there. So far he and Dex have gotten along in their limited encounters so far. They've met each other through cage bars and were generally civil, except for the new one biting Dexter's nose pretty hard once when Dexter was being annoying.

Man, I never understand this poo poo. After reading this thread, or really any of Pet Island, people still go out and buy animals from pet stores? Come the gently caress on.

Well, congrats on supporting mills with your impatience.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The way I see it is that the little guy was still going to be for sale in the store no matter what. Might as well have him go to a home where he'll be taken care of properly instead of continuing to live in a tiny cage in a store by himself or be adopted by people who have no clue what they're doing.

This is the argument people generally use to justify buying animals in stores. Would you buy a puppy from Petland if for some reason there were none available in your area? It's not different. And all you're doing is encouraging the pet store to keep stocking chinchillas, as the one you purchased will just be replaced by another one to sell to any idiot off the street.

But you needed a chinchilla asap, right? Whatever justifies it to yourself. :downs:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

I know this sounds dumb, but make sure you're allergic to the pigs and not to the hay. A lot of people are "allergic" to pigs only to then get a rabbit or a chin and realize it was the hay making them miserable.

Also keep in mind that chins need dust baths, which irritate a lot of people with allergies.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

drat Bananas posted:

Over time I developed questions that I ended up asking at a mouse-centered forum. I was quickly yelled at for keeping a female mouse by herself - she needed at least one buddy to be remotely happy apparently. But that's troublesome to a college kid who's constantly changing leases and (will be) moving cities. If one in a pair dies you need to get another buddy for the living one, and endless cycle not really fit for me, or anyone who would have been able to take her in (Facebook listing was in a college town, honestly she's lucky not to have ended up snake food)
I keep kicking myself about keeping her as a single mouse for over a year, but I keep reminding myself that I gave her a really good life compared to her alternatives. Mice live 1-2 years, and I had her for 17 months. She was full grown when I got her, so that's a pretty long life right? She was also treated to the best available foods, treats, chews, and snacks thanks to my constant Googling about mouse care. She even was treated for mites a couple months back, something I daresay not many mouse owners would do.

There are always people who want to give you hell for keeping your animal differently than they would, so as long as you're doing your best and giving the animal a good life, it's best just to ignore them. Sounds like Mona had a pretty nice life with you, I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Pet owners, especially when they group together on pet forums, can be really short sighted and fanatical and nutty.

Let's just be honest here. And yes, this does apply to PI sometimes. :shobon:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

I posted there like 5+ years ago. The worst by far has to be the RMCA forum though. They filter out the word "feeder" and ban reptile owners when they "out" them. One of the admins is an animal rights lawyer and is a total nut. This was like 5+ years ago so maybe it's gotten better but somehow I doubt it. :haw:

Oh, furbaby people!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

SomeChump posted:

Ah, sorry should have mentioned, they have tons of hay. Every time their cages are cleaned I build them little mazes and dens out of it for them to run about/sleep in. Hay definitely isn't an issue.

Then you'd don't have to worry about them going hungry. Pellets are what packs the weight on them, and hay should be the bulk of their diet.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

Okay I have a couple of REALLY stupid questions about pigs.

The first is if it's normal for pigs to nibble at my fingers, even when they've known me for years. The second is if it's normal for the whites of their eyes to sometimes be visible. Every pig but my first has had those traits, so I'm just wondering if it's a matter of temperament + genetics.

Pigs nibble at your fingers because you are delicious. Fact.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Diogines posted:

How good are guinea pig memories? Will they forget the trauma by tomorrow?

They will forget within seconds. But most guinea pigs have at least a minor flip-out reaction to getting their nails clipped. We had one once who would flail and cream like he was being murdered. Sometimes it takes another person to help you hold them because even veggies won't distract them.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Diogines posted:

I managed to cut all of their nails alone without hurting them or myself, with no experience. I suspect I'll be able to manage doing it alone in the future.

You've got tame pigs then. We used to have one who'd contort in the craziest ways to escape nail clippings. I have ferrets and clip their nails, brush their teeth, and bathe them all against their slinky will and without any help, but that pig had to be held down while I clipped his nails because otherwise it could not be done.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

alucinor posted:

How else are they going to explore, except by taking their safe house with them? I think if they could, they would evolve into turtles and take their pigloos everywhere with them.

The goal is to get fat enough so they're stuck and the pigloo has to come with them

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Sirotan posted:

I think its hard to see in the pic how long her toenails are but yes, their front nails are generally shorter and I do try and keep them as short as I can to prevent them from curling under their feet. It helps on her because I can see the quick through her pink toenails.

Edit:

The rescue got back to me about another pig I will probably end up adopting. Heres the one I wanted, but is now taken:

Such a cutie :3:

This is a litter of two males and one female that came to their rescue when they were only 4 days old. If everything goes how I'd like I'll be adopting the female in 2-4 weeks:

I love how baby guinea pigs are basically all head. Their bodies lengthen so much as they get older, but they are just the cutest little nuggets as babies.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Interesting guinea pig story to share here, if sad. My parents recently had to put down their 5-6 y.o. guinea pig because he had cancer. Poor folks, they've had an obscene amount of pets with cancers and crazy things like gout/renal failure. In any case, what makes this so odd is that the male pig apparently had BREAST CANCER. Poor lil guy. :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

Not actually all that odd in rodents in general. Females tend to be more likely to get them but I've taken a lot of mammary tumors off of male foster pigs. Generally mammary cancer in guinea pigs is benign and/or well contained so it's pretty treatable as a general rule.

Well, I know it's not uncommon for females, but I'd never heard of it happening in males, so I figured it was about the same odds as breast cancer in human males. But I think it just didn't get caught quickly enough and he had already started to go off his food. I guess I'll probably encourage my mom to grope her animals more in the future for preventative care. I'm sure it didn't help that he was a fat little pear of a piggy.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

alucinor posted:

All the pig mammary tumors I've ever seen have been in males. It's definitely not quite that rare. Encourage your mom to weigh weekly! That's the best way to spot illness before it's too late.

Cancers don't always have to be terminal, either. We took a mammary tumor off a pig and he lived another 4 years (6 total). Last year I took a thyroid tumor off a 4 year old and he's doing great, I'm hoping he'll give me another four years. :)

Interesting about the mammary tumors. I know they would have gotten them removed if it wasn't too late, but I think they just never noticed, especially since he was so tubby. I'll definitely work on her getting to weigh them, but it took ages to get my parents to stop feeding the pigs grapes and they still don't listen when I tell them the pigs need more hay and less carrots. The problem is that they're suckers for the little faces and just want to stuff them silly.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Awesome Kristin posted:

I have more cute to post too!

It's like if ferrets were round instead of long. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

alucinor posted:

If she's not too far advanced I will still plan to spay her next week, but if she's within a few days of popping it looks like I'm going to acquire between two and six new piggies.

I like how you're pretending not to be excited for a bunch of baby cottonballs. Baby guinea pigs are the softest little puffballs in the world, and like 75% of their body is face. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

alucinor posted:

(this shelter doesn't feed hay)

Seriously, that's one of the most basic things about guinea pigs. Even *some* hay would be better than none. I know shelters don't specialize in small animals, but they can't just Google it real fast?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

We had a similar WTF moment with a shelter down here doing rabbit spays and neuters. They killed a female rabbit and then gave me two male rabbits bleeding and half neutered (yep, each one had a testicle left.)

They continued to insist their vet was rabbit savvy and refused to let me pay out of pocket to have our vet train their vet.

Sounds like their vet was a butcher, more likely.

alucinor posted:

Don't forget the one being fed dry corn flakes and canned garbanzo beans. Seriously, at this point, a shelter pig being fed alfalfa hay and seed-laced guinea pig pellets is being treated like royalty. At least they are actually feeding food which has a picture of a guinea pig on the bag.

This was my thought. Even if the food they get is Kaytee Fiesta party mix of garbage, at least it's marketed toward guinea pigs. I just don't understand what the gently caress people are thinking.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

SomeChump posted:

Hey thread, another question! One of my guinea pigs has taken to nibbling me. He doesn't do it in an agressive or annoyed manner but more as if my skin was tasty food. He doesn't do this to my girlfriend, so could it be horemones or diet? It just makes it very hard to have him on my chest as he can't help but sample me!

You're delicious. Get over it. :colbert:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

The other day a guinea pig shelter I follow on facebook (pictures :3:) posted pictures of a guinea pig next to a cuy. Omg so big and cute. Kind of a shame they're not suitable as pets, but apparently they're being sold at some pet stores anyway. Has anyone seen this?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

I've seen pics from other rescues, but it seems to be mainly west coast rescues getting these things (thank God).

Yeah, it was Orange County Cavy Haven that posted it. I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to sell wild animals as pets. Not that it's a new concept, just as stupid as ever.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Huge Liability posted:

Oh, I'd have no problem with someone working towards breeding a healthy, domestic jumbo pig. It just sounds like the ones people are buying right now are wild and not really suitable pets.

Why? What's the necessity in breeding a larger version of the guinea pig? It's just a vanity project, and considering how people stick regular pigs in cramped cages, it'll probably be even worse for any jumbo cousins. It's like breeding dogs solely to create larger or smaller versions of their breed -- the breeders and buyers of these dogs don't care about the animals, just the aesthetics of owning an unusually sized x breed of dog or the money they can make from selling them.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

Our smallest pig jumped like six inches vertically when we gave him a bath, it was absurd. How do they jump so high when they are shaped like beans?

You've never heard of jumping beans? :mmmsmug:

Our pigs always looked so miserable when bathing, as if a sad face will save them from getting wet. Also, they were much better escape artists/sink climbers than you'd expect. I think I actually have an easier time bathing my ferrets than I ever did with guinea pigs.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Naffer posted:

I see your tin foil hat and I'll raise you lettuce hat. This is Eleanor Jalapeno.

It looks like she has green fangs :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

Yeah that's pretty much every rabbit and guinea pig breeder who's set up I've ever seen. Actually a little cleaner than most. You know you can't have "giant" cages because they're too hard to clean. :airquote:

And you don't want to let your pigs out of the cage, because they might poop on the floor.

Compared to almost every other animal, guinea pigs and rabbits have such laughably neat little poops. When you see them, you just think, that is not a poop it is too uniformly shaped. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fraction posted:

Here's a photo that best shows those ears off:

:aaa: Y'all must get great reception for your satellite tv out there.