Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Hi there!

First, pictures! Sorry they're terrible, they're still adjusting and a little stressed I think.

That's Christopher! He's older, about 3 years and a little more shy. But better with people.

That's Vincent! He's a younger, 6 months to a year.

We adopted these guys off Craigslist. Christopher is by far tamer than Vincent but they're very well bonded. We have a lot of work to do to get Vincent to bond with us. And there are other problems. The cage is too small, I think the bedding is cedar (which is messing with my allergies) and they never seem to have had any hay ever given the way they responded to us putting timothy in the cage.

I have some new bedding, food and cage on order.

We're buying an air conditioner, we discovered last night that even though the temp in our house stays between 65-70, it's too hot for play time. Vincent started overheating last night. I need some temporary tips to cool off the little guys so they can play. I read that putting ice cubes in the cage is good so they can lick them. Is that ok? Will it crack their teeth? Is putting the cubes in terracotta ok?

We also put them in the carrier and took them outside for a few minutes, which got them cool pretty quickly. (Outside temp was 53)

I read everything on this page http://www.chincare.com/ which I both hate and love (is it 1998 with your right click thing? Jesus.) What would you recommend for cleaning their water bottle or the floor in the bathroom? I know they have sensitive little bellies and respiratory systems.

I think I might be a little neurotic but I want to make sure they have a good home :3:. I don't think they've had everything they need in the past. They were left in a barn with a heater. I do know they seem love it when I move anything in their cage. They freak out for about 15 minutes checking every little thing :3:.

And if there are any Portland area Oregoons here with chinchillas a good vet would be great! The one near us has dealt with small animals before. I don't know how they do with exotics though. Any advice?

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Awesome Kristin posted:

Temps and cages!

This is what we have her in now (and dang are Ferret Nation's expensive. I thought about a Quality Cage but I think we're going to save that for when she's bigger.)

The little house on the bottom is above a marble slab in case she gets too hot. She loves her tube though.

The shelves are completely metal (thank god!)

I have another shelf on order + a whole bunch of fleece and toys. Baby chinchillas can't have enough toys :)

Here's a gratuitous picture!

We bought an air conditioner. As soon as the outside temp gets back above 60 that baby is getting fired on. She seems pretty comfortable now with the house in between 63-70.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

furushotakeru posted:

Cute chinnie! Thanks for sharing.

Rule of thumb is to keep them below 80 degrees so you are doing just fine!

Want to mention that I am the Treasurer of California Chins, the rescue for most of the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley areas. When any of the local shelters get a chin in, they call us. If anyone in the area wants a chin please consider adopting instead of buying. We generally have 20-30 available for adoption at any given time and can find one to get along with just about anyone! We also have a large stockpile of food, cages, toys, and other supplies for those who need them.

/plug

Are you on chins-n-hedgies?

And oh man, once Vincenza gets settled in a little more we're going to try and find her a new friend.

I wish I lived in California!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Awesome Kristin posted:

Yeah I understand your pain. One of my chinchillas bites all the time and hates attention. I don't think he'll ever not try to bite my fingers off.

:( They can be vicious!

Our little girl is skittish but is coming around. She's very precocious.

She's also disturbingly smart. Put her in front of something once, she checks it out. The next time she's remembered everything about it and starts zooming around with absolutely no problems.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

furushotakeru posted:

I'm sorry to hear this. Can go either way - we had a little girl who was LITERALLY FOUND IN A loving DUMPSTER AT A BART STATION WITH TWO BADLY BROKEN BACK LEGS that never healed properly. She couldn't jump, just hop a little bit, so we had to have ramps in her cage so she could go from level to level. However, she was a complete sweetheart against all odds.

In other news, I hate humanity some days.

Oh wow. I'm so glad you got her :( Poor little thing.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Awesome Kristin posted:

I just want to clarify that my chin that bites came from a bad home. He was 4 when we got him and a little boy was allowed to play with him (from what I heard it was rough handling), and his conditions weren't great either.

I do what I can for him but he's just so grumpy.

I hope he comes around. I'm working on how to get our little Vincenza to warm up, it's tougher than I thought!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Baika posted:

Are chins really worse than ferrets when it comes to getting into things? My friend swears her chinchilla is worse than a ferret when it comes to that.

Don't turn your back on them.

She'll cut you.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Ah, alright. I figured as much. Thanks for the info, guys. I had a feeling this'd be the case, but wanted to make sure, because I would never feel comfortable endangering a pet.

Guess I just have to wait until I'm in a place more suited to have two pets. Thanks!

One other thing. Chinchillas are extremely easy to stress out and need companionship of some kind.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

We're adopting another chinchilla!

It was kind of lucky

I've been looking at this:

And disregarded it because Salem is a good hour away. Even though it's a hell of a deal. Chinchilla Mansion + Flying Saucer for 100bux.

But then I kept seeing her:

And we kind of wanted to get a friend for Vincenza eventually.

And she looks like she could be named Cinnamon.

We're picking up both on Saturday!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Awesome Kristin posted:

Oh she's tan! Look at those freckled ears. I hope she works out for you. Do you know everything you need to know about introductions?

Also that cage is severely lacking in fleece. I'd get a tube and some hammocks asap.

Oh we're not going to use the cage immediately. The ad said the last chin in it passed. So new chin (Cinnamon!) is going into the spare room, the cage is going into our bedroom while we clean it (bleach, sunlight) and we'll get her stuff as we go through the quarantine. I'm going to dump all the wood and toys too. Vincenza doesn't use her hammock so we can definitely put that in there.

We have a single level Superpet that I hate to put her in but will do for 30 days. And we have Vincenza's old house/food dish to put in there. I'm going to run out and get a new water bottle for Cinnamon today.

We're going to take the introductions slow. When Vincenza was housed with her daddy (who passed, his little body couldn't take the neuter :() she was already challenging him at 6 months. So quarantine and then cages next to each other for a bit and we'll go from there. See how much kacking/barking there is.

She's gorgeous! We're lucky, Vincenza is a pink and white with a little splotch on her head and now we're getting a tan!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aces High posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but if not someone could direct me to the correct one maybe?

I am looking to get a hedgehog but can't seem to find any resources for life expectancy or diet or anything like that. I'm more or less just looking for general info so if anyone here has ever owned any I'm all ears :)

I can't vouch for their hedgie knowledge but I spend a huge amount of time here asking questions and reading about chinchillas:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've been emailing back and forth with the rescue who has this little guy for about a week, and I'm hopefully going to go meet him next weekend:

Any thoughts on bringing Dexter down with me to meet him initially? It's a three hour drive so I don't know if he'd be too stressed by the time we got down there to be a good indication of how they might get along. Dex usually sleeps the whole time on road trips so I don't know if he's bored or stressed actually.

I think so that my room isn't overflowing with chinchilla cages, I'm going to build a platform to put in the middle of my chinchilla mansion cage temporarily to split it into two smaller cages until I feel comfortable putting them in together, and just keep switching which half they go in to get them used to sharing things and smelling each other.

Don't! According to everything I've read about chin intros, you risk maintaining two set ups regardless. Taking your little stressed guy to meet another little stressed guy might not work well :(

Plus, chins that have been housed together will start fighting. So you need to be prepared.

The month quarantine is mandatory. If the new guy is sick, you don't want him infecting Dexter.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1080173

Read some of those posts, they'll walk you through how to do intros.

There was also a thread recently about quarantine cages. If you get the crappy one level Superpet cage, I guess they're good enough for a month.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I still have Dexter's old SuperPet chinchilla cage, I just need to figure out where to put it. This guy is being fostered by himself in someone's house and has already been quarantined so I suppose the risk of him being sick is lower. I don't think I'm going to take Dex with me, especially since I don't have two pet carriers at the moment.

As much as I'd like for Dex to have a friend, I might have to wait till I move to a bigger place this summer :(

Are there any other ways to relieve some loneliness? I read about leaving a radio/TV playing for them during the day, but Dex even gets upset if my boyfriend comes over and I'm paying attention to the boyfriend instead of him so I don't know if he'd be content with voices that weren't me (also constant noise coming from my room would probably drive my roommates nuts). That and sulking for days after I left him for a week with just a petsitter coming by to feed him every day is what prompted me to start looking for a friend for him again. I'm trying to get him to be not quite so attached to me because I feel bad when he gets all sad if I have to leave him for a while.

We put Cinnamon in a spare bedroom. Wash your hands in between and don't let them share dust bowls!

According to the board o chinchilla ladies, it's best of they have some quiet for the first couple days.

Vincenza's pretty independent but we got her as a baby, so it's all she knows. A friend might help with your little guy. But yeah, I've read TV/Radio helps. I'm not sure if I'd do it during the day. Our gal is pretty sleepy during day time and active at night.

But maybe talk radio like Radio 4 or NPR at night?

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

PsychoMuffin posted:

I'll definitely do this before deciding on a regular supplier. I might just suck it up and buy a box from KMs when bluegrass is back in stock.

One thing, the quality of Oxbow I've been getting on Amazon is awful. American Pet Diner is pretty awesome though. My chinchillas love the Timothy Gold

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

Oxbow's in Nebraska, and are unfortunately subject to the frequent drought conditions there. I still go to them for pellets from time to time, but when it comes to hay, I've never been disappointed with KM.

That explains a lot! I think American Pet Diner is somewhere in the north west but their site doesn't say.

The chinchillas go nuts for it though.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aghhh Super Pet.

I bought one of the Fiddle Sticks hide outs for our new chinchilla. And wouldn't you know, Super Pet screwed it up again. Avoid anything they make.

I asked what type of wood they use and this is what I got back:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail. The Tropical Fiddlesticks are made from miscellaneous branches such as oak and fir. We hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your support of Super Pet products.
"

Both of those wood types are toxic to chinchillas. Wouldn't you know.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

You should email them back and say "Oh good, thank you for the proof that I would need to sue Super Pet when my chinchilla gets poisoned by your negligent marketing of wood that is toxic to chins."

Edit: Actually, I took it upon myself to email them and ask/chastise them about it. Every site that I can find says that both of those woods are dangerous for chinchillas, they shouldn't be allowed to continue with such disgusting, uninformed marketing practices.

If others want to contact them, their customer service email address is customerservice@superpet.net and I believe their parent company can be reached at info@centralgp.com

Even worse, found at Central Garden & Pet's site: "We are dedicated to providing the finest small animal pet products in the industry. The goal of our brands is to continuously study the health and environmental needs of small animal pets and to provide perfect solutions to their needs."

Well, they certainly aren't fulfilling their mandate very well. Help me shame them!

I e-mailed them back saying "both of those are toxic to chinchillas!" and have been all over amazon :)

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

I find that largely, outside of plastic igloos, water bottles, and food dishes, anything you can buy at a pet store that is marketed toward a specific small animal is at best completely worthless for that animal and at worst actively dangerous.

Death balls piss me off. And people who actively use them after being told they're dangerous!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Death balls? I hope you're not referring to hamster balls, I just bought a new one, and my hamster loves running in them. :(

I think they're ok for hamsters. But they're deadly for chinchillas.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

They're pretty bad for guinea pigs too, iirc, and someone posted a flyer here a couple of years ago for a Petsmart event that showed a guinea pig in a ball.

Yep! Made by Super Pet too....

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Awesome Kristin posted:

Here's a site I have used before.

http://www.chincessories.com/index.htm

I've even emailed them asking to just send me a random variety box of stuff worth a certain amount and they're happy to do it.

Other sites:

http://www.simplychintastic.com/index.html

http://camphorchins.com/

Also the classifieds section on the Chins and Hedgies site has people selling food, dust, hay, toys, treats and random stuff all the time. In fact last week I got a 20 lb box of Blue Cloud for pretty cheap from a member there.

Oh I know, I spend way too much money on CnH vendors!

*Camphor is one of my absolute favorites.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

And on the topic of new chinchillas:

It's only been a week and a half but I'm seriously looking to keep them separated permanently, once I move I'm probably going to get the new guy a big chinchilla mansion cage of his own instead of borrowing Dex's old superpet cage. I've let them out to play individually where they can see/smell each other but not contact each other, and Dexter does not give two shits about another chinchilla in my house but Smokey (the new one) flips the gently caress out every time he sees Dex, growling at him and biting at his cage. I'm hoping it'll get better as Smokey settles in more and gets used to his new life/routine, but I'm legitimately worried about Dexter's safety if they interact. If he eventually decides to chill out then I might consider letting them play together in a neutral place, but for now there's no way in hell I'm letting them get to each other.

Again, I have no idea what Smokey's background is and why he ended up at a rescue. His foster mom doesn't seem to have any idea. He's a super cute black velvet, and I've never seen anything but a standard gray in a pet store which adds to the mystery of his origin. Other than him hating poor Mr. Dexter and being noisy he's a sweetheart and I don't know why anyone would give him up. My only issue I've had with him is that he's a really sound sleeper, to the point where I have to poke him to wake him up, AND he likes to sleep stretched out on his side which has led to a few heart-stopping "OH GOD HE DIED" moments until I poke him and he wakes up. And he's got the cutest fluffy tail and eeee :neckbeard:

Here he is chillin' on top of my toilet (Dexter is never allowed in my bathroom due to his taste for wallpaper (and also he fell into a toilet before I got him and don't want a repeat experience), so it's a nice neutral place for him to stretch his legs). I'm not sure what's going on with his nose hair, I think he'd just stuck his nose into something. This is the only non-blurry picture of him I have.

A couple things about intros.

- It's always recommended to keep the new chin in quarantine in case he has something contagious! It also helps them to adjust to new surroundings without being stressed. Many breeders recommend 30 days. My vet says 45. Superpet cages are fine for quarantine.

- Here's a thread on introductions: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13659
It's a long and slow process.

He's a cutie pie :)

I'd take him away from the old chin though until he settles. If you only have one room, even across the room should be ok.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

I got approval from a mod to post this.

I'm hoping someone can help this little guy. Either adopt him, or know of someone that can take him in.

I'm all the way over in Portland, OR, otherwise I would rescue him even though I'm at max chinchilla. He's in New York state.

He's going to need a lot of care, so someone who knows what they're doing would be great.

His situation is:

- He was chased around by a dog
- He doesn't have a cage and is currently living in a locked room

Going by the photos he's in bad shape.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pet/2933547767.html

quote:

I have a Grey male Chinchilla looking for him to go to a good home. I don't have time for him anymore and have to keep him in the spare room since him and the dog go at it with each other.
He hasn't had much interaction lately and I don't think it's fair to him. He does let me hold him and pet him, but ususally a little skiddish around strangers....I'm the only one he sees on a daily basis with a little time, love and training he will warm up to you.
He has no cage because I didn't put it back together right after his last cleaning and he chewed a big hole in it and got out. But does have a bath house and excerise ball.
Asking $50 rehoming fee and will deliver within 25 miles

But this looks much, much worse.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Are those ribs in that second picture?! With the amount of fluff chins have that shouldn't be possible :( I hope someone adopts him and stuffs him full of good food and love soon.

As for my new little guy it seems like the novelty of draining his bottle has worn off, so yay. He's also settled down a ton more in the past couple days. His sleep schedule is also mostly adjusted to mine now which is a godsend (I was going nuts with him bouncing all over his cage at 3 AM). He still squeaks all the time though, even in his sleep sometimes. It's not upset or angry or hurt squeaking, just... conversational squeaking I guess. Sometimes Dexter will hear him and respond, but most of the time he's talking to himself. He gets excited and squeaks louder if I'm paying attention and talking to him. It's adorable :3:

He looks really thin :(

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Bazanga posted:

Earlier this year my chinchilla had had a minor eye infection, so we took him into the vet to get some antibiotic gel. They gave it to us, and the infection cleared right up after about a week of treatment. Then it came back a month later. We took him in, thinking we just needed to use a different antibiotic, and the vet wanted to do xrays. We did them, and he says that he has tooth problems which makes his eye water and causes him to scratch it.

The vet said that he should be fine as long as he isn't losing weight, is still eating, and is active but his eye keeps getting infected. The vet said that teeth problems aren't really treatable and they usually recommend euthanasia. After the second infection, the vet gave him oral antibiotics and painkillers in an attempt to have him eat more hay and grind down the back teeth. He seemed fine after the treatment ended.

Today the infection is back, in full force. I started using the same antibiotic we were originally prescribed to make it so his eye is functional until this week when we go to the vet. I'm thinking that the vet is going to recommend we put him to sleep. Pretty lovely way to start a weekend. Anyone have anything similar like this happen? He's active, eating well and jumping around his cage like normal but his eye is all goopy. It feels really weird to have to put down an animal that acts completely healthy. The only animals I've had put down were barely able to stand, but this chinchilla is running around like nothing is the matter.

Is it malo? If the chin is eating, drinking and pooping there's still life in him. But it would probably be expensive.

And be absolutely sure your vet is familiar with exotics.

Here are a couple FAQs on malo:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847

Get a head x-ray!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Bazanga posted:

My vet specializes in exotics and dentistry, so I'm hoping he knows what he's talking about. We had a head xray done, and the front three molars' roots on the right side of his head are starting to press up against his eye socket, which is what is causing the eye irritation. In the links you gave, it looks like that is one of the major indications that euthanasia should be done.

The vet said that there is a procedure that can be done where they remove the upper molars entirely (both sides, as the chinchilla would develop more teeth problems from only eating on one side of the mouth) but it would cost a grand, plus he probably wouldn't survive the surgery. If he did survive, he would have to be fed through a syringe for the rest of his life. That doesn't seem like a very good quality of life.

It's just strange that he has zero symptoms of malo except for the weepy eye and the xrays saying that he has it. But I suppose hiding symptoms of illness is pretty common in rodents.

Awww, yeah, poor baby. That does sound like malo :(

Good luck.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

:siren:http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm302546.htm?source=govdelivery :siren:

Kaytee recall for salmonella :(

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Back to the moving chinchillas thing I brought up a few weeks ago:

I'm mostly decided on driving out to Texas with the chinchillas in the car with me as my road trip buddies. However, it's a 20 hour trip so I'm going to have to stop in a hotel for at least a night or two depending on how ambitious I am with the driving. The fuzzbutts are gonna go batshit insane if they have to be cooped up in their carriers for 2 or 3 days straight. Would y'all recommend getting a pair of bigger pet crates for the trip so they have more room to move around, or should I get some sort of exercise pen for them to set up wherever we stop for the night? I guess I could set up the chinchilla mansion cage when we stop but that's kind of a pain the rear end to set up and take down. Or should I just make them suck it up and deal with it for a couple days?

I'm probably gonna ask the chins n hedgies forum too, but I'd like your opinions as well.

The Midwestern playpens fold and don't take up much space :)

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

anima posted:

My insides shriveled up from the cuteness here. It's like mini Edible Arrangements! I need to try something like that with my bearded dragon but sometimes he poops in his salad :(

Thanks for your thumbnail help, I'll resize my pictures more next time. A question for chin owners: where is all the good wood at? I miss Pet Products by Nature, especially the grab bags and mixed woods. They were pretty inexpensive too. I'd like to buy drilled coin and whirlies grab bags, and not pay $15/lb for each type he likes. CnH hasn't been a big help.

I get most of my wood from Ronda on CnH. I wouldn't trust anything Superpet makes.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

McCloud24 posted:

I bought my hamster a new hidey house, since I felt the old one was taking up too much floor space in the cage, but she doesn't want to use it. I bought it two days ago and both yesterday and this morning she's rebuilt her nest in a corner of the cage near her wheel. She seems to be sleeping fine, so I guess I'm not worried about that, but is there anything I can do to convince her that the new house is safe? I put some of her nesting material in there along with her favorite chew stick and a treat. I started putting the treats in there yesterday and she seems to go in, take them, and go right back out.

The chinchillas take a while to adapt to their houses too. Give her time :)

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Does anyone else's chinchillas bark at absolutely nothing?

Dexter and Smokey will start barking for no drat reason, and never at the same time. Dexter likes to wake me up at 3 AM barking at the darkness, whereas Smokey finds random things during the day to bark at. Could they be hearing some noises from outside or from my neighbors that I can't? Dex seems to start barking in his sleep, could he be dreaming of something scary? I'm trying to figure out if there's something in my apartment that I'm not aware of that's making them upset, although they do it both at my apartment and when I take them to visit my parents at their house. Smokey's never been to my parents' house before so I can understand him barking, but this is Dex's favorite place ever because he gets spoiled by my mom and he has a huge room all to himself to play in for hours every day.

In other news I just ordered a second chinchilla mansion cage so Smokey can upgrade from the SuperPet cage once I move in a couple weeks. Dex is too territorial about his cage for me to be comfortable leaving them alone in the same cage together even if I totally rearrange and bleach it (I think he was a bachelor for too long and enjoys being the man of the house), but I think I can definitely get them to the point where they can play in a neutral place together since they seem to enjoy each other's company as long as they don't have to share anything. I haven't tried putting them together yet, especially since Smokey is kinda freaked out because he was at a rescue for a month or two, then with me in my apartment for a month then I moved him to another new place while I'm running around getting ready to move across the country. He's only got one more move to go, poor little guy. I feel kinda bad because when I adopted him I thought I was only going to move across town which wouldn't be too stressful, but then I got a kickass job offer across the country and the chins are staying with my parents being spoiled rotten while I house hunt and pack and everything, so I don't feel too bad for them.

Oh god yeah! Cinnamon was barking a lot the other day.

Vincenza was barking at me because she was mad though!

:comeback:

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

McCloud24 posted:

I was handling my hamster just now (as I said in the post above, I take her out of her cage via her ball and then after she's run around for a little while we work on our handling) and she started nibbling on my hand. I say nibbling because, while she did bite me, it didn't seem to be out of fear, as she didn't make any noise, and didn't try to run. She was just sitting on my palm and started nibbling on the area of fat between my thumb and index finger.

Vincenza the chinchilla does this! When chins do it the theory is they're grooming you. She's learned how to pull that skin without hurting me. She also finds all the dry patches on my hands :3:

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Let's play find the chinchilla in her mansion.

Ideally this will house both Vincenza and Cinnamon. For now Cinnamon is the lady of her own manor.

Vincenza is making it difficult, she's pretty aggressive for being the baby.

Cinnamon is watching TV. She is fascinated.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

She can't reach it :)

Yeah, Vincenza tore apart some curtains :argh:

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Man, Dex's cage looks absolutely barren compared to Vincenza's. All he's got is a fleece hammock, the standard shelves, and a house in there.

Is that fleece at the bottom? I have Carefresh in Dexter's but he likes to throw it at people and generally get it everywhere. He also throws hay at people. He's a little rear end in a top hat. Smokey likes to dig around in his Carefresh and also get it everywhere, so if fleece works I think I might change to that. Do you have any padding under it? How do you keep it nice and flat?

It is! I guess there's some controversy about Carefresh. Chins have eaten it and got impactions in the past.

For peeing we have dishes with aspen pine bedding, they figure it out since they only really like to go in one corner anyway :). Some like to pee on ledges though. Because they are assholes.

Ours stays flat because there's stuff in the bottom of the cage holding it down (chiller marble, house, pee dish) but you can get velcro and other things to attach it to the cage.

I get a lot of my stuff from Camphor Chins, she made that one and I think she'll provide velcro too.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Awesome, I think I'll try that. It'll hopefully solve Dexter throwing Carefresh everywhere, but I don't think there's a way to stop him throwing hay at people. If you sit anywhere near his cage you will get hay thrown at you. I've watched him do it, he'll pick up a piece, bite it in half, hop over to the edge of his cage and throw half at whoever happens to be closest and then eat the other half while staring at whoever he threw the hay at. I'd like to think he's trying to share his hay, but I'm pretty sure he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Once I'm settled I might go a cage accessory buying spree for the fuzzbutts as a reward for them putting up with a 22 hour car ride with me :)

Awww! That's kind of hilarious. Vincenza just stares. And stares. And stares.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

2 and a half days later, I've arrived in Texas with the chins intact. I feel bad cause I accidentally roasted Smokey this morning (forgot that the sun would be beating down the side of the car once we turned south :downs:) but he seems ok now.

I've been googling exotic vets in the area just so I know where one is in case I need one, and it looks like the closest one that'll see exotics is over an hour away near Texas A&M :sigh: Hopefully they'll stay healthy and not need to see a vet.

Keep an eye on him. It's possible he had a seizure in the car. Freeze some water bottles and some marble or granite tile just in case.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Smokey's cage got here today so he finally has his very own permanent place, yay!

He hasn't done much exploring of it, he's sitting in his house looking a little overwhelmed. I don't think he's ever used an exercise wheel before either, he doesn't seem to know what it is or what to do with it. Is there any way I could help him out or is it one of those things he'll eventually figure out on his own?

He'll work it out. But what kind of a wheel did you get? There are only a handful recommended for chinchillas.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I got him the chinchilla mansion starter kit from Quality Cage, so it's one of those bigass solid wheels. He keeps trying to sit on top of it then jumps off all confused when it moves. He hasn't quite figured out that he can also sit inside it, AND make it move :downs:

He'll get it eventually. I honestly think he's never had a wheel before in his life.

Vincenza did the same thing and then she'd stare at it like "who are you?!!!"

Sometimes, not so bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Last night I'm pretty sure Dexter tried to show him how to use it by running on his wheel for a couple seconds then running over and getting Smokey's attention and then running back to his wheel then back to Smokey etc. Smokey still didn't get it :downs: Someday he might figure it out.

Dex and Smokey are now peacefully co-existing next to each other in separate cages. They get along much better when there's no threat of either of them encroaching on the other's territory and seem content to share the space between their cages.

Same. Cinnamon and Vincenza are next to each other. We've started putting them in the quarantine cage during cleaning so they can smell each other. More Vincenza than Cinnamon though. She's an aggressive little thing!