Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So we took in an adult (8 months ish) campbell's dwarf hamster girl. She's come from a home with two kids and had to go because their mom was allergic.

Now, I've had some C. dwarf hamsters before and like to think I know the ropes, but truth be told it's so long ago I'm not really sure what she needs. She has plenty of tunnels, shredding for bunching up inside and a wheel she loves using.

What should I know about human contact? She comes to hands and will eat out of them, but won't accept being picked up. We're perfectly willing to accept if she's never going to, as she's rescue and it's mostly about giving her a good retirement - but if we can make her more tame, of course we're interested in that.

How about nutrition? The former owners fed her a ton of popcorn and dried pea treats which seems unhealthy, but apart from plenty of raw greens, what should we try?

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

What's a lab block?

Also, she's started gnawing hard on my hand and her cage, trying to break out. It is admittedly only the fourth day since the move, but I don't like her nervous energy.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What does it mean if a dwarf ham on occasion seems like it tries to dig out of it's cage? We keep coming up with new stuff to stimulate her, and she's largely content - so I'm mostly just worried if she wants to escape or if it's regular 'wow I saw a human' spazz.

Tias
May 25, 2008

About 2 square metres, with 2 levels built in.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

What does it mean if a dwarf ham on occasion seems like it tries to dig out of it's cage? We keep coming up with new stuff to stimulate her, and she's largely content - so I'm mostly just worried if she wants to escape or if it's regular 'wow I saw a human' spazz.

Ham still trying to escape, no matter the amount or degree of distraction we build into the cage. She bites the wall and tries to jump into the roof :ohdear: Any ideas?

Tias
May 25, 2008

No, she's reasonably tame in spite of rescue status. She'll sit on my hand and chill for short periods and will gladly eat on it - though she can bite if she has that escape mania :/

Congratulations on your hambros! Conventional wisdom says even brothers can kill each other when they come of breeding age, so keep an eye on them!

Tias
May 25, 2008

mrfart posted:

What do you guys use for litter in ham toilet?
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

Because of social restrictions, we replaced our egg hunt with a fun gambling for the family day with Rod & Todd. (They only had to run a couple of times each)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iVC5kLayg

Depends on ham type, don't it? We use chinchilla sand rated for ham, which means it isn't the finest particle size, because it gets in the lungs, pouch and snout and can do damage. That's for a Campbell's Dwarf ham.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sooo our dwarf ham somehow put on over 20 grams :eng99:

My girlfriend took the lead on feeding her, and apparently there's been some overuse of treats and insects going on. We've made an immediate switch to lab ham solution (those pills that are a just nutrient combinations and some fibre), and built a lot of tunnels and obstacles for her, as well as increasing floor time - but it's looking dire. Any and all advice on slimming ham welcome!

mrfart posted:

Nice,
Looks like something you might find in a gacha gacha machine in Japan.

Anybody have experience with flax (the plant used for linen) for hamster bedding? I noticed in a garden center today that it’s very popular for horses, because it’s dust free, absorbs well and is also a local product here.

We were discouraged from it by some owners because it may prick a hole in their pouches, but I don't know more.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 18, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

mrfart posted:

So Rod and Todd were doing fine so far.
But the last couple of days Todd has been going to whatever place Rod is sleeping and annoying him until Rod let's him stay, or he leaves (or I break up the fight).
They haven't bitten each other, but is this the end, should we just put them in separate cages?

i made a little video:
https://i.imgur.com/L5tZl1k.mp4

Separate them immediately and permanently. Take it from someone who's tried, you don't want to be the one who has to clean the cage after a ham murders and eats another ham and then dies of constipation :gonk:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Too long hay risks pouch puncture, but I'm not sure it's necessarily bad for respiration.

Use hemp or paper wadding, regular wood shavings or hay you'd use for rabbits is indeed super bad.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nah, Boxo brand wadding and the occasional bit of wood for stability is more than enough.

Tias
May 25, 2008

-CHA posted:

Just Boxo is working great for Banjo, the dude has a full tunnel system going on with no structural issues. Could be a size difference as banjo is a Chinese dwarf and is more aerodynamic vs other dwarves that are more spherical.

Oh word, I should specified that advice derives from my dwarf hams, not larger non-spherical rodents

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Pigs are just so stupid and docile and that's a good thing.

We already know why they're great, no posts needed :blessed:

Tias
May 25, 2008

FEUCKING OATMEAL MAAAN

https://i.imgur.com/Ox0pB56.mp4

In which we discover that Speedy / The Orb likes oatmeal, a lot.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What a dapper boye <3

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dayton does a 180 but does not really like being bothered by noisy humans

https://i.imgur.com/7RgAeNh_lq.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

If I, after my best attempt at discerning any pain levels, can't find any obvious distress*, I normally give them a week more. Sometimes they sleep in and die, sometimes not and then it's off the the vet.

* carefully but firmly apply pressure to each side and end of their body, if they are in pain they will normally squawk. I learned this from a vet, and you can definitely get the vet to do it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.