Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mighty rodent gods:

Please don't eat me.

I can't get out to get this little mouse substrate until tomorrow. Can I tear up some paper towels for him tonight or would that be bad? :ohdear: I always had access to stores for substrate back in the states so I'm not really certain what to do.

E: He's just a little white pet mouse about two months old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hey small animal thread? Is nature's miracle safe to use to clean up a mouse aquarium or should I stick with water?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Another for cilantro here. Every guinea pig I've ever owned has gone nuts about cilantro. That, and brussel sprouts. Never had a single one that would go for peppers, though. It was so weird.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh what the hell kind of water bottle is that? Because that's awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So these pigs are at least 14 weeks old, assumably. That's a female. My females used to hump each other all the time and made all these terrible little grunty trilly sounds like they thought it was awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's an inaccurate position because every single petsmart and petco I've been in keeps their animals differently and some actually do keep them appropriately, even in regards to larger rodent species (and non-rodents like ferrets, fish, etc). Hell, even in town the different is absurd. One keeps their ball pythons in a tiny little 2x1 cube at 110 degrees, the other keeps theirs in something that works out to be a 15 gallon long with proper humidity and temperatures and doesn't overcrowd the cage. Literally, I can drive across town and at one store the guinea pigs are kept in a 10 gallon with like 8 pigs, and at another store they're in a nice front-enclosed area with a screen back with 3 pigs in a 4x3 (ish) area.

So I'd say judge by store rather than by the company. Some of them actually take decent care of the little guys. Hell, the one I go to even gives their beardies fresh, appropriate salads and orders in CGD for the cresties.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pew! Pew! posted:

Although I do work at a pet store, I highly recommend trying to find a rescue or shelter for animals you wanth.

Despite what I said before, I totally agree with this though, but I've never seen a rescue for say, mice. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is there a good visual tutorial on how to set up a split aquarium for gerbils (to see if they'll clan up or not)? I feel dumb as hell, but everything I'm reading is just impossible for me to envision.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zetsubou posted:

Is it normal for some aspen to be super dusty? I bought and just used Living World "Aspen Shavings" and it was pretty dusty. I ended up having brown dust speckled snot from putting it in the aquarium even though I tried to keep my face away from it. Also my silvery gerbil now has a brownish dust tint to him. I don't think that is what shavings is suppose to do. I wish I could use some other bedding but I don't have any and it's in the middle of the night. I just hope they don't end up dying a really dusty death.

I've noticed it happens on and off. One bag will be fine and the next explodes with dust when I open it. I usually just re-tape and return super dusty bags for ones that are better off so I don't half die cleaning tanks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

The best way is to give your pig vitamin C-rich veggies, and/or vitamin-C enhanced pellets. I've never had any luck giving a pig a vitamin supplement.

I never had my pigs all over tablets/ enhanced pellets either. I'd give mine a salad of coriander, kale, parsley and mustard greens along with their daily hay and daily pellets, sometimes add a little bit of carrot and/or raw broccoli to the mix too.

E:

alucinor posted:

Keep in mind those pellets are also made of alfalfa, which isn't good for pigs over 1 year of age. Also, the sugars in fruits can lead to gut problems. Veggies are preferable.

Several of us here feed about 90% hay, 10% veggies. Zero pellets are needed if you make sure you're using high quality hay and a mix of vitamin rich veggies. Our pigs are living 8-9 years regularly with very few incidents of gut or tooth problems, so it seems to work. :)

See, I wish I'd known that. Back when I had pigs, everyone screamed up and down you needed pellets 100% of the time or your pigs would literally fall over dead the next minute. Mine hardly ever ate the pellets and it felt like such a constant waste.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tang is completely worthless for them, so yeah, veggies is a much better option. I just had the vet show me how to trim guinea pig claws and did them myself with a cat claw trimmer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

If I had kids who did this to any animal, but something as fragile and defenseless as a hamster, I'm pretty sure I'd be trying to sell my kids to a pet store for the sake of the hamster. :smith:

God, finally. Now I can let my 60 ft burmese have the experience of capturing it's live prey.

I don't normally crosspost, but goddamn:

Why isn't that illegal?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This is completely ignorant, but do gerbs need to worry about some 90 degree temps? They're little desert dudes, aren't they?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I had a pig who had a stroke who did that, except with his hind legs. He was only 2. He didn't make it to the vet. I hope Jenna gets a better diagnosis. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The $1 per gallon sale should be soon at Petco (get her a 40 gal and see how nuts she goes digging)