Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I liked my little chinese hamsters, never did manage to really tame them, and eventually one of them ate the other, but they were ballsy little fuckers, literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

They lived together for a couple of years with only the odd shouting match, I don't think they killed each other, just one of them died and the other took advantage of the meal. He did leave the back legs and balls though. :v:

We had a Syrian after that, nice old girl, died of old age eventually.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 6, 2014

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh wow they really have turned into tiny hamsters now. It's always surprising how fast that happens!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Shannonmcn posted:

There was another little dude there I actually recognised from the time I picked up Butts but who was not there last week then I was in, he's obviously been returned because he's bitey as gently caress (according to the shop lady who is also a ham person). Would it be mad to take him home too and just never touch him? I feel so bad for the poor little guy. :(

A lot of my hamsters have been like this, I'll feed them through the bars and make sure they're happy and well, but I'm not one for taking them out and playing with them all the time. They seem happy enough and generally live to 3-4.

Handling can be good for less stressful cleaning out and a bit of outside-time exercise if you can, but I think if an animal doesn't want to be picked up, it shouldn't have to be unless necessary. That goes for cats and small dogs too, I guess it's about having a certain amount of respect for the animals wishes, even if it's just a hamster.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

We took the hamster on holiday once, that was a few hours in the car there and then back a week later, I seem to remember him being fine too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Got fed up of my hamster chewing at the water bottle all the time, which I figured was probably stress or boredom, and his stupid rattly plastic wheel.

The new wheel might be a bit big. :v: no more chewing at the bottle though!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my dwarf hammy chews on her water bottle also. I have the ferplast double level cage I think its about 340 sq inches on each level. I've slowly been purchasing larger and larger cages because it seems like the recommended size keeps going up.

The wheel is 12" and the cage is an imac fantasy. The internet is generally pretty favourable about it, apart from the lack of height for a big wheel. It's similar space per level I think. He has 3 levels atm, so not ideal, but I had to take a floor out to get even a medium sized wheel in. He seems happy enough now, he's almostly entirely stopped chewing at the bottle, although I think part of the chewing thing is when I have the light on and it reflects off the tube, because he'll still give it the odd go when it's on, and then stop instantly if I turn the light off.

I'm gonna work out how to connect something else to it at some point, because it doesn't give him much space to dig... He always has a sand bath, I'd just taken it out to change the sand, because he'd peed in it.

Every christmas or birthday when my grandma asks what I want, I just say "another level for the hamster cage" :v: She turned up with this basket of food yesterday!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

Some hamsters like the security of the walls but also like a bit of air around them. I even had one hamster who was claustrophobic - she'd make a normal nest, but always sleep with her head sticking out of it.

This is what my boy's like, he refused to use the house until I turned it upsidown.

I also gave him a digging box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeHqN7AKjrM

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Somebody gave me some of that kapok bedding once, came in the next day and the whole room was covered in a fine layer of dust. Nasty stuff...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I considered a exercise ball once, but with 3 dogs... I can't imagine it would go well.

The giant wheel I got for my dude is pretty great, the only noise is his little feet on the metal.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's BS too. My boy sits and watches me from across the room.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbzeGBH9Pg4

Don't think he liked me waking him up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Also some people consider cats old at 12-15, but I had a friend who's cat just died and it was well over 25, he reckoned 28, and I've had two cats live over 20. They might be around longer than you think...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My hamster died a month or so ago of age, and I kinda miss him. :( Finally took the cage down and put it in storage today. (It was all just sitting there cleaned)

Decided I'm not gonna get another hamster, at least for a while, looking at the baby hams makes me want one though!

rip boyo, he never bit me even once.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

What state are you in?

I'm in the UK. :v: I don't need more pets right now, they're just very cute!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

One of my hamsters did have a vaginal prolapse when I was a kid. Freaked me out and I swore never to get another after that, my mum took her to the vet and had her put to sleep. She was an adult when we got her and had probably been bred in the past.

https://animals.mom.com/hamsters-menstrual-cycles-1772.html

Seems like a vet-visit thing. Could be a pyometra, that happened to my dog, I thought it was a bad heat, but in reality her womb was on the verge of exploding. Bad times.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah... With my dog it was like "Whoa yeah she's lost a ton of weight, but you walked her here so she's probably fine, leave her with us for a couple of hours and we'll ultrasound" to a phone call an hour later with "We're taking her into emergency surgery, Now. It'll be £450."

They're nasty.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Trying to clicker train my hamster. From what I've heard they're kinda dumb but I think I can teach him to run up to me for sunflower seeds.

My hamster knew his name and would come for treats when I called him, so clicker training should work the same I assume.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Some hamsters will just chew the bars no matter what you do and how much extra space you give them, until you take all the bars away out of frustration. I ended up putting a water bottle over that spot, with my old boy, so he couldn't chew it as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can buy 5ml syringes off amazon in packs of 100, and they will be the most useful purchase you've ever made. 1ml as well I suppose, for smaller animals.

Maybe mix it with something sweet and see if she'll lap it up?