Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
http://www.bitsforpets.com/clear-seal-tank-with-mesh-lid-18x12x12-p-3738.html

Big enough for a Syrian hamster or two little Russian hamsters? (I'm hoping to get winter white ones if I get Russian hamsters)

EDIT:

quote:

The RSPCA recommend that the minimum size of cage for a Syrian hamster should be 75cm x 40 cm x 40 cm. (29 ½ inches x 15 ¾ inches x 15 ¾ inches).

Looks like I'd need to get something bigger, but glass is expensive. :smith: Then again hamster cages being sold seem smaller than that.

Also this PDF guide might be useful to anyone else not experienced with keeping hamsters as pets:
http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/BlobServer?blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobcol=urlblob&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1169720056106&blobheader=application/pdf

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Yes, Pets at Home apparently has them. Going to check out one of the Pet Shops in town on Monday though... and see if the taxman owes me some money back, I think I'm owed a couple of hundred pounds. Money for a tank/cage! :D

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Ssthalar posted:

Also, i never really had a very large cage for my hamsters, though i usually only had two at a time. If they can get along, sure, everything's fine, but the moment they start fighting, you pretty much have to get seperate cages, for they can become downright murderous towards each other in very short time.
(don't seperate them with your hands, use a thin book or something or they'll bite you instead.)

Happened to a friend of mine, one of the hamsters decided one day to literally bite off one half of the other's face. :sigh:

Is there really no way to get them to make peace? :ohdear:

Might just get a Syrian now.

EDIT: Will a dwarf hamster be happy enough on it's own?

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 2, 2012

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

I got two 10 week old little Russian hamsters today. I'm not sure if they are actually winter whites or not but one is nearly all white with a slight greyness around the face and a black dorsal stripe, the other is white with a funny pattern of a greyish tones on his back. I haven't managed to get a clear photo of them yet, they move so fast and one of them is a lot more timid and hides in his nest at all times.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Wulfstan and Guthrum. :black101:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

^Before my houses turned up in the post my hamsters kept squashing behind the cardboard box they had for a nest area.

Seems I underestimated the size of some of the things I bought for my hamsters. They are not strong enough for the wooden wheel... and the playground thing I bought them is too big. They have two cool little houses though.

New wheel time. :v:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Managed to get a hold of Wulfstan the most illusive of my hamsters this morning whilst he was wandering about and eating in the tank. Had him run across my hands and he pooped a few times. He was making little squeaks, I don't think it was to do with pain or fear though... I think he was trying to communicate with the other hamster who I haven't seen since yesterday evening.

They are cute as hell, hope I can get them nice and tame soon. :3:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Finally, some poor quality imagery of my hamsters. I'll have to charge the battery for my DLSR and try to catch one sat still eating in light somehow. :v: The light one is Guthrum, and the dark one is Wulfstan... who took a leak on my T-Shirt not long after this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHioefbyAs

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 8, 2012

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Woke up the hamsters to try get a couple of photos. Guthrum seemed a little grumpy.

Guthrum on the left, patchy Wulfstan on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5dnctHuWcY

And video, looks like I've got a hot pixel on my DSLR. :(

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 13, 2012

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Well, just split the hamsters cage up. Seems Wulfstan has decided to be an aggressive little toerag and attack Guthrum constantly. :smith:

I finally just seperated them when Wulfstan kept attacking Guthrum when he went anywhere near one side of the tank... then continued to chase him about the whole cage constantly nibbling at his back end... and diving into the wheel he had escaped to to attack.

I need to find a safe type of wood to use and build a more solid divider than the card one I've bodged.

Well, I'm going to try reintroduce them to each other in a few hours and see if they have calmed down since I still haven't found blood.

UPDATE: Nope... they are not going to get along. On coming face to face again Guthrum squeaked and planked onto his back. Wulfstan left him so I thought that would be the end of it, and they just squeaked at each other a bit. So I sat them both on my lap and eventually it turned into another brawl I had to split up. Looks like I'm going to have to split the little bully off.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 16, 2012

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Fraction posted:

If they're fighting, chances are even if the little one suddenly got a lot bigger, that they still wouldn't be able to live together. Hamsters hold grudges like pretty much no one else.

With my hamsters it was the little one who was the aggressor.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Reintroduced my hamsters in the playpen and they haven't fought, other than what looked like a little slapping fight. Now they are snuggled in the burrow box I bought. Might put them back together in the cage I just bought and see if they get along without any serious scrapping. Then I might get a Syrian to keep to. :d:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

They where two winter whites or some sort of hybrid... I think they where meant to be siblings but I don't know about that. I thought they where meant to be sociable and burrow in groups? One is a lot bigger and is of pearl colouration, the smaller one sapphire wit a few white patches on his topside. They started fighting a little after I'd bought them, but before that they where fine... they never drew blood either. I took the risk of putting them in a playpen together and they got on without incident. I've just been watching them like a hawk since I put them in the cage together anyway... small one got territorial again so back separate they are. :(

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

So I want to replace the glass panel on my tank lid with a board of wood with ventilation holes in it... or a frame with wire mesh. Will pine be OK? (Unlikely the hamster will get at it to nibble it, but I'd rather be safe about it) Seems the people on hamster forums around the internet seem to fear pine.

Wulfstan was just scratching on the side of his new case base, where the door would have been on his little temporary cage. Put my hand in, as there is only an above door now, and he climbed straight onto it. Usually he only did that to get out of the cage door with my hand in front of it. :3: Hopefully I can get Guthrum that tame soon, he sniffs my hand, touches it with one paw or rubs again it and runs.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 3, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

One of my hamsters started licking my fingers most of the time I go to get him out. :3:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

That is one really cute hamster. :3:

One of my hamsters is really shy and nervous and recently started biting. He broke the skin today. I guess it is going to take some time to tame him. :smith: I had him hanging off the side of my little finger once waiting for him to let go.

I've got something similar to this to fill up with wood shavings in the tank for burrowing:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/woodlands-acorn-burrow-box-98551

My hamster tends to decide he wants to sleep in it instead of his usual nest.

Although I can't have read the webpage that I got it from properly and it is a lot bigger than I expected it. Twice as many rungs on the ladder to. Fits in my tank though. :d:

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 20, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Ssthalar posted:

Sounds like he's afraid of you for some reason. :ohdear:
Hope it'll sort itself out since it's no fun having a hamster you can't pick up.

Yes, I've stopped handling him for now. Just putting my hand in the cage... clenched so he doesn't go for my fingers. :v: He runs off into his house a lot when I do that. Also been giving him sunflower seeds. Hopefully Guthrum will get used to it.

Wulfstan instinctively tries to nibble my fingernails for some reason. :3: I think he just loves to chew on things, he is the chewy hamster.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Sometimes after cleaning his cage Wulfstan goes to sleep on his wheel and doesn't make his bed. He also piles up a massive pile of woodshavings on top of his food bowl. :3:

I got them some nibble toy things, hopefully I will not wake up on the morning to Guthrum nibbling on the metal hoops on part of a wooden climbing frame I bought the pair of them before I had to split them up.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

One of my hamsters buries his food and he seems pretty bad at digging it back up.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Guinea pig armour was sold for charity recently for $24,300.00

eBay listing

:3: :black101:

Queen Gnome posted:

I had a quick question about nests. My Chinese Dwarf has a little circular pod attached to her cage that she's made into a nest.

I would if I where you. My hamsters pee and poo in their bedding a lot and I clean their beds at least weekly. The smallest one barely has a smell to his mess. Just a very slight popcorn like smell.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 23, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Finally got some new clear pictures.

Wulfstan

Guthrum

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Zenithbliss posted:

This isn't a recent pic but my 3 female gerbils live happily in this Omlet double Qute. I know not everyone approves of them but the girls love running up and down the tubes and they haven't chewed it yet, plus it is fairly easy to clean out

These cages look awesome and I wish I knew about them when I first got my hamsters.

Can you block the middle hole off to separate animals? Is there any easy way to add a less vertical tube?

E: actually no on the tube, because it has that lock thing.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 1, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

tentawesome posted:

I don't usually hang out in Pet Island, but I feel compelled to share Princess Hamerella with everyone I can.

She's been super active! As soon as I brought her home she was perfectly happy to run around in her cage and on her wheel like it was already hers. She's not at all shy when people come in the room, and my dogs constantly trying to sniff at her cage (they're way too short to actually reach it, though) hasn't perturbed her at all. She comes right out and bites me when I try to hand-feed her so we can be best friends, but I prefer that to running and hiding.

Russian Dwarf? It is a nice coloured little thing. I wanted to adopt one with that colour in its coat but I don't have room for another cage. :smith:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

My hamster does that sometimes after I've cleaned his bedding and cage. Just sits their snoozing. He usually makes a nest the next day though and stops napping on the wheel so much. Do you have bedding material in there other than the wood shavings?

I guess you could take the wheel out for a night... he might find somewhere else to get comfy?

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Do you have a studfinder, a power drill, and some 2x4s? Time to hang some shelves. :getin:

e: I'm getting ready to move, but when I'm at my new apartment I'm going to do that for my 3 rodent cages. Some eye-level reinforced shelves hung on the walls with a nice thick lip to keep them from sliding fitted to the critter cages would look pretty great in just about any living room. I've seen someone do it before and it saves a hell of a lot of space.

Filled most of the wall space in this goon-hovel-in-parents-house with shelves of books and a TV already. :smith:

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 7, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Rearrange her cage every change. Hamsters are usually very happy to just run continuously on their wheels so I wouldn't worry too much. A puzzle treat toy sounds good, a burrow box with treats hidden in it might be something to think about to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Looks like one of my hamsters has a permanently wonky head. He's finished his course of medication just incase it was an infection and he's still like it.

He is still fine in every other way though. :3