Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I was thinking about getting pigs again, I had two a while back; one lived to 2 and died from a stroke, the other lived to nearly 6 and died from a respiratory infection probably brought on from moving, I assume.

I read the OP to really think about things and I see the note about annual checkups. I never brought my guys in for those, I didn't think they were really a thing that happened? I don't even remember any of the sites I checked mentioning it as a necessary thing. Did I do something really wrong to them by not taking them in every year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Yeah, pig husbandry and knowledge about proper care has improved substantially in the last 5-10 years. Before that lots of vets didn't even see guinea pigs, but yes, yearly physicals are recommended now, especially as pigs get to middle age (3 years plus) - molar and bladder related problems being two of the most frequent killers and both easily fixable if found early enough by a good exotics vet. Pigs living 8-9 years old is quite common now.

Read up on http://guinealynx.info for the latest, correct care information. Also here are some of my rescue's handouts that we provide for new adopters, which summarize the GL info, might be useful to you as quick references:

http://www.allcreaturesrescue.org/documents/guinea_pigs_are_great.pdf
http://www.allcreaturesrescue.org/documents/New_Guinea_Pig_Health_Doc.pdf
http://www.allcreaturesrescue.org/documents/Common_Mistakes_in_Treating_Sick_Cavies.pdf
http://www.allcreaturesrescue.org/documents/NC_Shopping_List-GuineaPigs.pdf
http://www.allcreaturesrescue.org/documents/BasicPigSetup.pdf

Thanks, I'll check them out. I just really have to figure out where I can put them, the closed-top cage I have is way too small for 2 pigs, and I have the black wire things with plastic bottom you can turn into an open-top pen, but our cat is a small hunter.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Closetmaid shelving makes a bitchin' cat proof cage, complete with lid. Get the 16" Superslide or even the Linen shelf, the bars are too close together for paws to fit through, and you can use carabiners or binder clips to keep kitty from pushing the lid up.

That looks perfect, do you know the exact name of that unit? I'm looking around on Amazon.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I was expecting it to come launching out like a cannon

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So the shelters in my state (MD) and closeby states (basically NoVA) refuse to let people adopt who live more than an hour away.

Uh...anyone else see this before?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Where in MD are you looking? I see a TON of pigs in MD on petfinder, most in shelters rather than with rescues (county shelters usually don't give a poo poo as much as privately run rescues do).

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MD247.html has a ton of adults right now. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MD205.html has two very cute girls, but also a male; make sure they've been through a 72 day pregnancy watch.

Alright, that's a bit better and in range, thanks.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Did you check out these guys? I adopted a guinea pig from them years ago and they were good to work with. A little pricey, but they take good care of their pigs and spay and neuter all of them before they get adopted out.

Actually, I think this is the place I looked before; the descriptions seem really familiar.

The thing is, I want two and all the bonded pairs are over 2+. I have a real phobia of adoption from a shelter again because the cat I got from one turned out to have severe, expensive medical needs that cost me a hell of a lot of money and they still couldn't save him; it was the kind of thing they SHOULD HAVE checked and caught, even though they claimed he had just been to a vet.

But yeh, I will see if I can stop by and see if the younger ones take to me, though I wish they had a younger bonded pair.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I use a hot glue gun to secure the corners, works really well.

I use clips. The pigs tried to chew on them roughly every 5 minutes before remembering they were made of metal and not very good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So I applied to be considered to adopt a pair of pigs, and they said it's a 2 month process at least. The literal gently caress? If they want to come do an inspection and talk to me about my previous pigs, that's fine, but what can they possibly be doing that takes that long?

quote:

I am the Applications Coordinator of the Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (MGPR). We have received your application. I am writing to let you know that there is about a two week wait before a volunteer will become available to guide you through the adoption process. The adoption process generally takes two months and involves answering questions about your readiness to care for guinea pigs.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cat with hands posted:

2 months! But my snake's hungry now! :saddowns:

It would make 0 sense to go through these people to abuse the pigs, since the adoption fee is $100 a pair.

It just makes no sense that it'll take that long. The application was very short and mostly dealt with my history of pets. I'd not be surprised if they wanted to see the cage/place they will be and talk to me, but what else can they honestly be doing for the rest of that time frame? Ugh.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Dealing with ALL the other applications, surrender requests, and transport requests that they get. This has nothing to do with 2 months of testing YOU. It has to do with the fact that they have only a few people doing rescue work for the entire area, they get hundreds of inquiries per month, AND these people also work full time in addition to their rescue work.

Going to a place like this is what gets you perfectly healthy, bonded, friendly pigs. But the cost is having to wait for it. Go check out the shelter if you need it faster, but realize you're taking your chances with pregnancy, mites, etc.

I understand they're volunteers and waiting a few weeks would not surprise me, and I wanted a few anyway in order to get the cage and area together. I got the impression that they're a very small place that only has a few dozen guinea pigs; in fact I think they only have pigs in foster homes, homed by the volunteers. I just didn't get the feeling that they take in that many pigs.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I sent them an email back asking for more information as to why it'd take so long, but I assumed that they were already fixed so there would be no recovery period, especially since I asked about a male-female pair, one would hope they've already done it!

But yes, thanks for the info, I'll just keep talking to them and see what we can work out. Getting pigs who are bonded and not trouble is worth it.

Long after edit: Also those sounds like a bad idea because of my cat.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 16, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

According to the email I received back, it's mostly making sure I know what I'm doing and have the supplies on hand, which is of course fine, but then they only do adoption meets once a month, and of course if someone is approved ahead of me then they get to meet the pig first and I'm out in the cold.

So, I'm trying to find out when the next date is, but I've never been lauded for having much patience.

Along those getting ready lines, what do you people use to hold the coroplast in its shape? I'm pretty sure I've lost most if not all of the clips that came with the cage, and I remember my guinea pigs were dumb and constantly chewed on them, which would be fine except that it resulted in them pulling them off nearly daily.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 16, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I haven't heard back from the adoption place and it's been a week, so I don't know what to think. I just asked when the next pig-meet is.

If I got young guinea pigs that are littermates, what's the chance that they will be happy being pals? Could it really go either way and it's hard to tell when they're so young, or if they seem to like each other as youngins is that a good indication that they could live together happily?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Sure, siblings usually do fine, as long as you have a big enough cage that they can work through their hormonal tiffs without killing one another.

Most pigs are dicks between about 9 and 18 months. Worst case scenario, you'll have to divide the cage (no problem if it's big enough), then you can remove the divider and put them back together after they're done with puberty.

I'm sure the delay from MGPR has nothing to do with you; it's a problem with scheduling and juggling work/rescue responsibilities on their end. I know it's hard to be patient so I'm sure that doesn't help, though. :( Wish I had a better suggestion for you.

I'm just pretty impatient. I got another email from them when I sent another one asking when exactly the next event is

quote:

I apologize; it sounds like my last email about when we hold adoption meets didn't reach you. We hold adoption meets once a month. I cannot provide more specific details as you need to go through the screening process first. As I mentioned, that process takes several weeks and adoption may not happen for two months (as there may be a wait after your application is approved before we are able to invite you to an adoption event). I apologize that I cannot be more specific but that is how our process works.

Let me know if you are interested in continuing.

I mean, the only reason I am sticking with this is because they're paired and fixed. If I got them from "other places" they most likely would not be and it would cost a lot more money to take them to the vet and as you say, potential growing up problems. It really seems like they get enough requests that it's less of a guinea pig rescue and more of a guinea pig distribution service, but what do I know. I'll continue on but having the cage all set up and ready for weeks is kind of sad.

edit: I replied yes, let's continue

quote:

Ok, I will assign your application to a volunteer who will contact you within the week to start guiding you through the adoption process. That will involve answering questions on basic care and questions to check that you have the appropriate supplies.

Sorry to make this my own guinea pig story thread, I promise a bunch of pig pictures in the future.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 24, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

What's in that bowl on the left?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I think this place is actively trying to dissuade me from adopting the drat pigs that I want, and by that I mean this place is actively trying to dissuade me to the point of saying "you can't have these two"

quote:

Thank you for your responses. I see that you are interested in Sally and Woolsey. This a a high maintanence pair, especially with Woolsey who has to be groomed often and is not very good about it. Would you consider adopting another pair? Or you could make your own pair. Are your roommates ok with having the guinea pigs?

Fucks sake. I said I've had long hair pets in the past (true) and I really want a bonded pair to avoid any potential conflicts.

They're really making it hard to not just say "to hell with it" and get them somewhere else. If there weren't health and bonding concerns I would have given up by now.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Fair enough. From the wording I'm almost thinking that there's something with the pigs beyond just the need to brush one every time I pick it up. I'm not against going with another set (or making a set if two somehow get along extraordinarily well), but look at these guys.

Now that I think about it, actually, this was only one of the pairs I suggested. Looking at their site it looks like all of the others are gone.

I'll send a follow-up email trying to clarify this. He apparently really, really hates being brushed and squeals and squeals. I was hoping for an already bonded pair since they will be coming together, but I'm asking how the other pigs do with each other.

edit: VVV Yeh, those are all things I assumed would be a problem. If they can get me a pair who will be friends for life, that's fine.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 6, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Heard back from the adoption site, they approved my application and the adoption day is Sunday. Gotta get the drat cage finished, I haven't figured out the top yet.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I don't know which 2 I'm getting; the way they operate is that the pigs have to choose you, anyway.

I just want 2 who will be best buddies for life so I'll have to see.

Yeh, that's the kind of top I need to get, I get paid tomorrow and I shall hit up the home depot.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Slices of sweet bell pepper; or sprigs of fresh fragrant herbs like cilantro, parsley, dill, fennel, basil.

One of my guinea pigs would go absolutely ballistic for cilantro, so definitely try this.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So in theory Sunday I will be coming away with the pigs. The problem is the old cage I used to use as a carrier is still up at my parent's because I didn't think to ask them to bring it last time they were down here.

Am I stuck with paying ~$40 at Petco for one of the crappy cages and using that or is there a good alternative? They need to be comfortable and safe for a 40 minute drive (and later this month a 2-2.5 hour drive each way).

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Would just burgling the one we use for the cat be OK? I'll put blankets and such in the bottom and I can rig up a bottle. I'm sure for the 40 minute trip there's no problem, I'm just concerned they might get antsy for the longer trip.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I get my pigs tomorrow assuming I can find 2 who like me and get along! I unforuntaly did not get time to put a top on the cage so I think I will have to enforce "no cat in the room" until I can get that. I might see if I can find some boxes to collapse and put on top until then (with supporting bars) just in case somebody is dumb and leaves the room open. I don't think the cat will attack the pigs, but she is really into things that move, and if they freak out and run if they see her, she might get more interested than she should be.

I'll get pics up when I have them and if I am not probated by then for having posted in YOSPOS.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Guineapig acquired. I only have one really bad picture because I don't know what the hell happened to my phone's camera but pictures look like I coated the lens in vasoline. I tried wiping it off a few times and it persists. Also they move a lot since they're still in the OH CRAP NEW PLACE NEW SMELLS NEW GIANTS HASSLIN US EVERY 5 MINUTES phase.

Haven't decided what to name them. They're 2 sisters that are 2 years 4 months old. They came as Pip and Zip but those are not good names.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Well, one bolted as soon as the cell phone went into camera mode, the other one is clearly too busy stuffing his face

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Look at this angry guinea pig.

She was lying in her pen right next to me (since my computer is next to their pen) and I had the bad manners to cough really loudly. An explosion of pig and bedding and she's quite happy sitting as far away from me and glaring thank you very much.

(The other one didn't give a crap)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Saint Darwin, do you have a tunnel or pigloo or something for them to hide in? They really need some sort of hiding shelter like that.

I have a big igloo, but they don't both crowd into it until it's finally sleep time. Usually one will hang out in it and the other one will sit right outside it by me or in the hay. When I take pictures of them, it's usually when I'm playing with them, and I usually remove the igloo because they seem to wake up then and start walking around sniffing things and eating hay; they don't seem to be scared or to want to hide, it seems to wake them up. It's in their cage 100% of other times, though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Well you are a sloth after all. What are their names?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Very nice. I think I've settled on the names for my guineapigs. I will have to recycle previously posted pictures to show both for now.

This one is :black101: Ancient Hysteria :black101:

And this one is :black101: The Thousand Lies Made Manifest :black101:

Because, you know, little fuzzy demons.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I bring you...

FORT CAVY

Little bastards keep moving the boxes so I'm looking for my zip ties. They will not destroy my work of art! Unless they manage to chew it all up.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Pretty much 2 minutes after I took that picture they went to work and turned my beautiful fortress into a shantytown. Still can't find the ties.

Fewd posted:

Won't pigs eat those (the zip ties)? Or are they actually less retarded than gerbils?

They'll try, but pigs don't make headway into plastic and seem to not enjoy trying, especially when there's cardboard/wood nearby.

alucinor posted:

:yarr: Excellent! Now stuff one of those boxes FULL of hay, it's crying out to be a bed & breakfast fort.

Protip: is that a hopper feeder of pellets? Ditch it. Remember, no more than 1/4c per pig per day, and they are much less likely to have bladder stone or tooth problems.

Sorry I can't stop dispensing advice.
Not sorry

When the fortress was in progress I did fill one of the boxes with cilantro, lettuce, some carrot, and celery.

It's not nearly full, it's a pretty deep dispenser. They actually don't even eat that much of the pellets at this point, but I'll keep that in mind.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

They done turn my fort into the ghetto

~in the ghettoooo~

edit: TTLMM chomped the poo poo out of my shoulder when I was handling her and I got mad and put her back. I don't know why she'd start being bitey when they've been good so far. AH has been fine and has taken to scrambling up my shirt and hiding out on my shoulder/neck and being a guinea pillow.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 8, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

OK, I think the reason one is getting chompy is because they appear to not really like the small wood chews I got. I didn't know they were so small and I can't even find them in the cage anymore.

Recommendations for things for guinea pigs to chew? They're going at it on the cardboard but I don't think that's as much fun.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is... is that hamster throwing a gang sign? Have you been letting Paul Bunham hang with a bad crowd? :ohdear:

I love the hammy-sized furniture :3:

The furniture is cuter than it deserves to be.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yes so one of my pigs has gotten nippy. If I sit with her in my lap she will start exploring around and making the curious quiet squeaks, and every 5 seconds or so she will try to bite my shirt or whatever is where a shirt will be. She climbs up on my left shoulder and will sit there doing single bites every 5 seconds or so. If she gets closer to my neck she will just bite my neck. She got my girlfriend in the stomach last night seconds after telling her "look out she's been bitey." They're not attack bites but they're much stronger than the exploratory nibbles both of them used to do and the other one still does, and they kind of hurt.

The other one is fine and acting normal but this seems new and makes it hard to hold her. Any ideas?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 13, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Also

FORT CAVY V2

I opted for a more modern layout.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 13, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My old pair furballed until I got them a C&C cage. Unneutered unmatched males and all. I never was crazy enough to put my hand in, I'd just yell and they'd split up.

I hope this one grows out of it. They're nearly 2 and a half so I don't know if growing out is a thing that can happen. It's also not that I'm parading her around, I literally sit here with the blanket on my lap and she scurries up my shirt to start gnawing on my shoulder. It's exactly what she wants for some weird reason.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My parents got "guinea pig snacks" for the pigs and I dont know if they can actually eat them. Theyre made with

Rice flour
Sweet potato flour
Salt
Annatto

I am just not sure about the rice flour. Its labeled for small animals and specifically says guinea pigs but I dont trust labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Kluliss posted:

We got two guinea-pigs last week :3 they're total idiots which greed levels that outweigh their fear...almost...

We've had them almost a week, so far we've got them to come out from under cover for feeding (they get hand-fed until they won't come to us any more then we stay by the cage talking to them (we must sound really weird) whilst they eat from the bowls of veg they get. They have plenty of hay in there, water, and some pellets (which they only seem to eat as a last resort).

The only problem is that they run away from hands most of the time. They're incredibly skittish and there's no chance of being able to pick them out of the cage without them freaking out and I don't want to stress them like that unless I'm going to get a happy piggie out of it.

I've heard about towelling them which would be great if I could get them to accept me picking them up and putting them into the towel... :sigh:

They do make some happy noises though, they're pretty food-motivated which I am using to my advantage, and in the entire week, despite me trying to stroke them whilst they're eating, they've not tried to bite/nibble me, though there have been toothy displays.

My pigs flip the gently caress out if you try to pick them up and run behind and under things, but once you actually grab them they just sit there quietly squeaking to you.