Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sagacity posted:

We have a Syrian hamster and she's, obviously, the cutest hamster in the world. She doesn't do a whole lot of running in her wheel, though. It's a proper wheel (closed off, not too small) but she's just completely uninterested in it.

She does run around the cage and nibbles on the bars and so forth, but I was wondering if you guys have any tips to get her to run in the wheel. Or would a hamster ball be a good alternative for her to get some exercise?

If she doesn't like her wheel it's because she expects to go somewhere when she moves. Get her a Ratmobile and prepare for bruised ankles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tentawesome posted:

I think he just means a hamster ball. Princess Hamerella vastly prefers hers to her wheel.

Yeah, sorry, my family have kept hamsters since my sister was eight (she's now 25) and the exercise ball has always been called the Ratmobile. They love 'em, even if several of mine have worked out how to open them from the inside.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Dawww, that dorfie. :3:

I miss my dwarf hamsters. I'm probably going to get a Chinese Dwarf or two once the four Syrians I raised pass away, as sad as it'll be to see them go. They all developed individual personalities and quirks, so I'm gonna miss the hell out of them when they're gone. :(

All hamsters will do this if you don't treat them as cute ickle balls of fuzz. My current hamster, Twitch, is a very shrewd rodent who swears like a navvy. The one before that spent several months acting like a cat when she was young and was mildly claustrophobic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

transfatphobic posted:

There's only so much space in a rodent's brain, and what little their is, is dedicated to different schemes to get more food.

Or, in the case of one of my hamsters, whether or not Top of the Pops was on. As soon as the theme came on she'd be out of her nest and would watch attentively until it was over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

My younger sister bought a hamster on impulse without a wheel, bottle or anything. Can someone please help me so that the little guy won't have a lovely life? Any basic stuff for new hamster owners?

Beat your sister, adopt her hamster. Then go to the store she bought it from and complain to the manager about how his staff are selling pets without giving any instructions for proper care and feeding; he'll take it seriously because you need a licence to run a pet store.

Failing that, if you want to teach her responsibility then remind her that hamsters are not toys or cute ickle balls of fluff. They are living creatures who need to be looked after, they need food, fresh water, regular fresh bedding (however much they complain because they'd just got it comfortable, you nest-wrecking bastard) and exercise, and it's your job as their pet human to make sure they get these things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SweetPotato posted:

Does anyone maybe have any advice on how to handle a biting hamster (and on how to gain her trust back :))?

So long as you keep feeding her and give her a little space, she'll soon forget she's annoyed. For the bites, try a leather glove.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Maybe it was a trap to see if you were evil.

Not a trap, but I'll bet you the answer has been "yes" on at least one occasion. They have to ask just so they can find out if you're dumb without being accusatory for no good reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ssthalar posted:

For most hamsters, you can probably get away with something that's about 30cm long, 15-20cm wide and height about a minimum of 15cm.

If you're keeping hamsters in a cage 12" by 6" by 6", you're a cruel bastard who should not be allowed to have pets. A full grown Syrian can be as long as 7" at full stretch - it wouldn't be able to stretch out or stand up. I've never seen a hamster cage that was less than 8" high, 18" long and 12" deep.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Say hello to my leetle friend:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I really hate talk about this tent but why have you come to this decision? I know she's had it for a few months

It's always a quality of life issue. Hamsters don't live all that long anyway, so if a fuzzy comes down with something that doesn't take them right away it's possible that they might last a normal lifetime. I had a hamster who got pouch cancer and she lived past two years with just a lump; she would stuff only on one side to avoid hurting. But if it gets really bad like this and yet they still linger on, it's more merciful to spare them a few months of suffering.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

I'm ratsitting my friend's pet hamster, it's been 2 days and I feel like I need to let him run around in his ball or make a playpen for him so he isn't stuck in his cage all the time (I have almost three weeks left with him) but I'm kind of wary of picking him up since all of my childhood experiences with pet rodents where my friend's pets biting the poo poo out of me when I tried to hold them. She told me he's not bitey at all, but I'm still kind of wary around rodents.

Is there something I can do to make sure he isn't going to gnaw on me when I pick him up since he has no idea who I am?

If he's nosing up against the bars, put your (clean) finger near the outside so he can smell you. Once he's used to you you can pick him up more easily. Not all hamsters like to be picked up, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zhundult posted:

That must be a rodent thing. Our guinea pigs will chew on their bars when they are excited. It's the cutest thing watching them get all worked up when they see their snack being brought in the room and they chew the bars in excitement.

It's not excitement. Rodents need to constantly sharpen their teeth. Stick a chew block in the hut and they'll use that instead (unless they think the bars do a better job).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Time for mournful sighing, as my hamster nears the end. She's still healthy and mentally sharp, she's just old and is becoming frail. I'm going to miss the foulmouthed furry fiend, that's for sure. :/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Twitch passed away today. :(

I last saw her on Saturday afternoon when she came out for a drink and a nibble and she was obviously very weary then. Today it looks like she did the same thing and her body simply gave up. She doesn't seem to have suffered at all, which is a relief.

I guess now I have to find a place to bury her and decide whether or not to get a new hamster. She'll be a hard act to top, that's for sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I held him for a bit and flickering an led flashlight in front of him didn't even elicit a twitch, so he's definitely fully blind. When I put him back he took a moment to regain his bearings, but then walked right up to the water bottle and started drinking, so he ought to be fine I think. That said he is well over two years old at this point, so it's just as likely his body breaking down, as aren't redeyed rodents inferior or something?

My longest lived hamster was red eyed. She also went blind towards the end. So long as your fuzzy is coping, I wouldn't worry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

- They had a lot of Carefresh hay, but that seems to be different from Carefresh substrate. Is it labeled differently?

Don't use hay with a hamster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

Can I feed it raw tofu?

I suspect it may explode if you do. Stick to recommended small rodent food and you'll never find out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sagacity posted:

For some reason though, she came out of her house with a stuffed pouch.

Has she ever escaped from her cage? One of mine did and got stuck under the floorboards for three days. Every time she pestered for out after that, she'd stuff one pouch with food and the other with a bit of bedding - just in case. You'll never be hungry again, Scarlett O'Hamster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

Amie the chinchilla decided a while back that she was dead set on eating the board game boxes under my TV whenever she's out roaming around, so I put the more valuable ones in large shoeboxes and scattered a few empty food boxes down there as decoys. She's chewing on a tissue box right now and thinks she's getting away with murder. At least she prefers paper and cardboard to plastic or rubber.

One of my hamsters once got out of her ball and chewed through a 10m Cat5e network cable. She at least had the decency to look shamefaced about it when I berated her.

Handy tip: if your hamster is even remotely intelligent, tape the exercise ball shut. The little sods will figure out how to unscrew the lid from the inside.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A Scary Little Dog posted:

Also never had any deliberate Syrian escapes...although once my senior hamster Diesel went exploring in the bathroom because I forgot to shut the door, and found his way into the floor. Had to get a guy to drill a hole in it but once I could get my arm down Diesel came back when I called for him. RIP, best ham.

That happened with one of mine. I had to pull up a floorboard in the end. Little sods.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

It can be unsettling to some people to see literally all the organs through the skin, yeah. Like seeing the heart itself beating through a translucent pink wrapping, I can't blame her. If she still thinks they're creepy after they've started showing fur markings though, she can piss off!

Fuzzies are only cute once they're actually fuzzy. Newborn hamsters look raw, like they've been born too soon, and are really pretty horrifying when you think about it. Luckily it only lasts a few days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

They're still cute in my opinion.

I wager the reason they're born as pink squirmies and not more developed is so the mom can be less burdened by lugging them all around inside her and can better hunt for food to feed the squirmies.

Sure, no doubt nature has a reason, but that doesn't make it cute. Hey, look - the mummy hamster just ate one of her babies! How cuuuuuute!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

From the horror stories I've heard it seems more like absolutely anything can provoke a hamster into eating its babies.

Not to mention that population balance is hardwired into rodents. Too many young, they'll eat one if there's nowhere to expand. Sickly or defective pups are taken out of the mix because they're bad for the next generation; sometimes excess males get killed as well if there's too many in the litter. Hamsters don't survive in the wild by being cute, they survive by being ruthless little savages.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Day 15, and one of the babies has taken to licking glass. He's not the brightest baby of the bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=647PyIwzK-Y&hd=1

The baby's eyes are open now, though, that's something! :3:

Notice how the mother is still carrying other escapees back to the nest. This one? No shits given, let the big hairless animal with the strange object in its paw eat him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Day 18 and they've begun bickering a lot. Eyes fully open, growing at a very obvious rate, and are basically tiny thumb-sized hamsters now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55imBEhn28&hd=1

I don't know ... you spend the first seven days teaching them to walk and defend themselves, then spend the next four weeks wishing they'd sit down and stop fighting. :)

Is it me, or did I only count six pups in that video? I thought you had seven.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

That's adorable, mostly because how awesome your hamster's coat is. I love long-haired hamsters. Unfortunately my desire to own a female and not have to deal with a weird butt was stronger than my desire to have a hamster with crazy long hair.

You would have loved a hamster I saw once. It was long haired all over including the head. You could only tell which end was which from the eyes. I swear to God, it looked just like a Tribble.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

Love her sideways on the bars. Love it.

Yeah, it reminds me of one of my long ago hamsters. She saw me doing pushups one day and turned overnight into an exercise nut who would go hand over hand across the ceiling bars rather than walk on the floor. Very strange, but I suppose when your belly is always on the floor you can't really do a pushup.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shannonmcn posted:

I think companies misrepresent item sizes my ham is huge
Assumed toy to ham ratio

Actual experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohbmEqj8V-Y
Poor little baby looks like Godzilla :(

I think the hamster in the picture may not be full grown. Your rodent looks normal enough to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Meet Squiggle.

She is about six months old, though I've only had her a couple of months - for some reason nobody wanted her. She holds the current speed record for Figuring Out How To Unscrew The Ratmobile Door after managing it on her second time out, likes a bit of headroom in her nest and while you can't see it in that picture, she's quite unusually coloured - she's a tri-colour hamster with a brindled head.

I have no idea how you people take decent photos of your hamsters. One attempt I made to photograph Squiggle she managed to get completely out of the frame between me pushing the button and the image being captured, and they're always blurred.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

LET ME OUTTA HERE!

Well, yeah, I've yet to see a hamster that didn't need a little tin cup.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Artificer posted:

Mine just crawls into the nearest small space and goes to sleep, often.

rodents.txt

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64341X_0VxE
I think maybe, just maybe someone is in heat tonight.

What's that got to do with the hamster?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

About eight months ago I posted a picture of Squiggle, my current slightly crazed furry companion, and someone wanted a better picture of her unusual colouring. I was unable to do this because I couldn't get her to stay still ... until now. My sister's back from Australia and is quite good at getting rodents to remain in one place for a few seconds at least. So:

You can see the sandy patches most clearly on her right shoulder, but they're all down the middle of her back and a couple scattered on her haunches. You can also just see some of the brindling on her head, although it's more obvious from the front.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lager posted:

The vest and leash things are not really good for guinea pigs. They sell them in their sizes, but they're bad for their backs and freak them out.

They're available for hamsters too, which is the world's stupidest thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

They are smart, but not THAT smart. One day its attention will be diverted elsewhere when you're not around and it'll get lost inside a wall. Best if you secure that top before you lose it forever.

One of my hamsters got lost under the floorboards. After three days of privation I was able to rescue her, thankfully. She escaped again on several occasions, but she never went under the floor again because she wasn't stupid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just recaptured Squiggle after she escaped from her hut last night. I don't know how she opened the bulldog clip on the door - maybe it didn't quite catch properly - but she came back without much of a struggle. I'd had to leave her alone for a whole night while I was out of town, so maybe this was her way of saying "now you know what it's like to feel abandoned!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jesus loving Christ, man, TIMG that!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Marty's nose color is split right down the middle.

Pleasestroke the Terminator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kluliss posted:

^^our pigs occasionally frighten us by sleeping in the open on their side, we're all 'what the hell, you're a prey animal' and poke them to check for life, which earns us some really filthy looks!

And well deserved they are too.

Squiggle dozed off by her water bottle the other day. She's getting older, but she's not clapped out yet - she got an outing in the Ratmobile while I was out yesterday evening, but it didn't stop her trying to contact me into giving her another when I got home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WindowLiquor posted:

My sweet Syrian hamster died today. She was two and a half and I didn't notice anything odd about her so I think she just died of old age. I'm super sad though... Might not get another one, I can't deal with the short life span...

Heavy Petting > Hamsters, Chinchillas & Other Rodents Thread: Syrian Refugees Welcome