Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Look at my pig look at my pig look at my piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig

His name is Kirby and he is a good boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now, you say this, but two images really doesn't prove much. Indeed, the first one looks like Kirby may have gotten to eat cherries, but he may also have brutally attacked someone. Nevermind the fact he appears to have taken up the violent lifestyle of piracy in the second.

What I'm saying is we need further images to properly verify your claims.

How dare you accuse my boy of anything less than perfection!
He is an innocent little angel! Just look how cute he is when he washes his face!

Yep, nothing sinister about dear little Kirby.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay Pasketti, blink twice if Kirby is holding you against your will :stare:.

But if I blink that means going a whole second without looking at Kirby :smith:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
^ omg :3:

Kirby update: I started teaching him tricks so now he is an EXTREMELY GOOD PIG.
He can shake hands and spin on command, working on getting him to hop into my lap.
He really likes to do shake shake. He'll get excited about it and walk towards me and already be raising his right paw and slapping the air with every step until he gets to my hand. It's obnoxiously cute

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What an adorable little mischief maker :allears:.

he picks me up and shakes me until I give him a treat :cry:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

(realized his nails were too long after taking this pic and clipped them right away)
Kirby status: still the prettiest boy

He does tricks now and he finally warmed up to toys with bells in them, but now he communicates mostly by throwing or shaking his jingle balls when he wants food or attention. He'll only do loud squeaks now if we take away his bells. If you're in his line of sight but not currently feeding or petting him, RING RING RING RING RING RING
He acts like a spoiled rich turd ringing a bell to call his butler.
...I love it :getin:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Devo posted:

Came home today and one of my chinchillas was unresponsive and barely breathing. He died a couple hours later. He was much thinner than the last time I noticed so I suspect he hasn't eaten for a couple days and I just couldn't tell because his cagemate was still eating and pooping. Anyway, I'm worried about the other one now. They've been in the same cage for almost 18 years now and they always cuddled up together. It's been a rough night.
Sorry to hear that dude, hopefully the other little guy hangs in there. I had no idea chinchillas live that long though, drat.

Late Halloween pic of my pigs

I don't think I've posted our new-ish pig here yet, the black one is named Russer, got him in September. he's an rear end in a top hat and I love him. He doesn't even wait for a human to open the fridge, he screams for food if you so much as approach the kitchen.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Yikes, best wishes to your ham

uhh, on a lighter note...

My husband is having too much fun with his new figure. And Kirby.

My mom's reaction is killing us

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Kirby thrives off of your compliments

I'm gonna sound like a crazy cat lady, but we have a really good communication system with Kirby.
Like, for example, we call floortime in the bedroom WITHOUT his shithead brother a "journey"
and we call this:

his "burrito".
So if I put his burrito down on the floor of the guineapig zone and say something like "Kirby wanna go on a Journey? Go Burrito! Burrito Burrito!" He'll hop in so I can airlift him to the bedroom for his daily Journey. When he's done exploring and playing, and/or he has to go potty, he hops back in the burrito to tell me to airlift him back to the cage. He has not dropped a single turd on the floor ever.

It definitely complicates the simple process of "Want guineapig? pick up the guineapig.", but doing it this way makes Kirby way more relaxed, I guess he feels more in control.

Russer will have nothing to do with any of this. His first "journey" just consisted of a lot of chattering and then he pissed under out bed.

Pasketti fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
HAPPY HOLIDAY TIME FELLOW RODENT FREAKS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwL07XXFysU

HIGHLY recommend Oxbow's Enriched Life lollipop treats. They're just made of timothy hay and a bit of dried fruit or veg. I let kirb gnaw on it for a few minutes every day, he goes nuts for it. They're really hard and crunchy and good for grinding teeth. Also its just really drat cute to hold a giant swirly lollipop and have your rodent pet lick and bite it like an old timey child.

Pasketti fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 11, 2020

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Captain Invictus posted:

for some reason, I seem to be far, far more allergic to the champagne-haired syrians than others I've had before. I wonder what the cause is, I had one in my shirt and well, now my entire upper torso and shoulders/neck area is inflammation and hives
linked image of hoivs

Oof I get that when I hold Russer. Him and Kirby are both at least partially crested-breeds but only Russer makes me break out, but I'm 99% sure its because he never ever ever grooms his own fur. You can see the dander on him and he'll go days with the same pit of hay stuck in his crest or fruit bit in the corner of his mouth if we don't grab him and wipe him down. He screams the entire time, of course. He's not even a senior he's done this crap since he was a baby, he has no excuse. I love him but he's just a living angry potato.

-CHA posted:

Happy Holidays from Dipper and Pokč
These pics are beautiful omg. They look like professional Christmas card illustrations or something.

Continuing my late holiday post, we lightly wrapped Russer in some wrapping paper (I'm a horrible person I know, he'll murder me for my crimes someday) to see what he'd do. He sat motionless inside for about 10 minutes seeming pretty comfortable. It was a burrito-style job, the end with his face was entirely open and overall it was loose enough that he could have walked out at any time.
How it started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1s-C1YlT28
How it went https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2D4yo8VV4
He decided to turn around and exit through the taped side dramatically like a horror movie monster reveal rather than just...walking out the open end. He's not a very bright guineapig.

On the opposite end of the pigbrain spectrum, I trained Kirby to do tarot card readings :confuoot:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I've noticed the empty pet stores around here in Atlanta, too. I actually have a funny recent story about it.
My husband and I had a possible covid exposure recently and were gonna get tested as a precaution (we both turned up negative), but all the testing sites we were able to get appointments for were drive-through only, and we don't have a car. We got there too early and had to kill about an hour before our awkward walk through he drive through of the CVS. There was a PetSmart near by so we decided that was an ok way to kill time, just stand around in our masks and gloves, don't touch anything, and just watch the critters behind the glass for an hour. Not a problem, we veg out for hours at a time just sitting in front of our guinea pig enclosure watching them. My husband calls it "watching tv". Loitering in PetSmart is the most fun way we could possibly spend an hour while socially distancing!
We go in, nothing, nada, zilch. No guinea pigs. No hamsters. No rodents of any kind. Ok well that's a let down, maybe there's birds? Nope, no birds. Reptiles? One snake taking a nap.
My husband did the most depressing thing possible and waved at the empty cages and kept saying things like "Aww, such cute piggies! Look at the babies! Hello piggies!", pretending to point out specific ones and describing their fur colors and what they were doing. It was sooooo heartbreaking.
:smith: "nooooo babe you're scaring me stooooooop"
:unsmith:"what? don't you see the beautiful piggies? awww....they're popcorning, see? Such good piggies here today..."

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
My pigs used to refuse to eat orange slices, only accepted vitamin c in their water. then they acquired a taste for fresh oranges and now refuse to drink water with vitamin c drops in it. Fickle creatures.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Kirby's stupid new obsession is Chanel perfume samples.
I don't let him bite or lick them obviously but he will chase me for the magazine so he can get a sniff.

His other obsession is licking any human toes on sight so I don't know what his deal is.

I love him to death.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Ok Comboomer posted:

sounds like you should keep him away from the internet

or put him all over the internet and build him a fandom

not really sure which

I think it's a salt thing. He has this treat he likes that is a lollipop made of compressed hay and he will take a few bites, run off to go lick my big toe, then come back for a few more bites of the treat, then more toe. He's just using me as seasoning :barf:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
how concerned should I be about my guineapigs getting into arguments more often than usual?
I don't even want to use the word "fight" because it never gets physical, just vocal.
I have three pigs, two are girls around the age of 2 and then one (neutered) male that's just turned 4.
Girls are named Olive and Ofelia, dude is named Russer.
They've all lived together for a year and never really fought at all, the girls like to steal treats out of Russer's mouth and he just chatters and rumbles and then starts staring at me to get him a new one. Otherwise they get along great.

The last week I've noticed Ofelia and Russer doing a bit of rumble strutting around eachother, and Olive keeps wheeking at the top of her lungs at Russer randomly if he approaches her favorite nap spot.
Weirdly, the other day I picked Russer up after Olive screamed at him, which made Olive start screaming at ME for picking Russer up.

I was gonna call the vet tomorrow to schedule their yearly checkup because it's about that time anyway and I'll mention it, I'm just curious if anyone else has gone through this?

No changes to anything in the house or their enclosure or their diet that I can think of. I've been cleaning up their poop every night too because they always get grumpy when their area is dirty. I've examined all 3 of them a couple times to make sure they don't have any bites, injuries, signs of sickness, etc.

Like I said, it's legit just the girls making lots of noise at the dude this past week. Mostly Olive being LOUD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1Hf6oi2LI
Btw this is them. From left to right, Ofelia, Olive, and Russer. They have a big fenced-in area, there's a cage inside the area but I never close it

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
ooooooo heat would make sense!

Old vids but they show the average dynamics well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjUG6A3WYE
Girls steal from Russer, Russer comes begging to me for more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4ssW_FBr4
Excuse my drunken commentary

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
My pigs trio just had their annual checkup today, all are obnoxiously healthy. Except Ofelia had a treasure trove of disgusting ear wax that definitely wasn't there a week ago when I was playing with her ears. So now I gotta keep an eye on her ear goo on top of cleaning out Russer's poopy anal sack every few days :toot: Vet said there's no sign of ear infection or anything, just looked like gross ear butter.

Also the girls stopped with the weird bullying of Russer like the day after I made that post so it's all good.

Just finished hand sewing a bed/cage liner that I was working on for almost 2 weeks and Ofelia immediately christened it with a dozen turds :itwaspoo:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s technically a (this is loving gross just fyi) scrotal sac where their genitals are at and it gets nasty with poop, fur, and smegma. As boars grow older their sphincter muscles weaken and any blockage could prevent regular pooping, so you have to take a q-tip or something and clean it out every month or so, including wiping down the penis.

It is the singular worst-smelling thing that has ever entered my nostrils, and I have worked in a lab with moldy cadavers.

I'm lucky that neutering Russer removed the worst smells, cleaning his just smells like regular old poop. Before it was what my husband described as "old man ball smell"

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Pants Donkey posted:

Or they’re great at being obvious with meaningless behavior changes so you blow a ton of money on the vet. Shout-out to my pig for refusing to eat treats or pellets and making me blow $400 on a vet visit to get “he’ may be getting fussy as he ages.”

We took my girl Olive to the vet because she was drooling so we thought something was wrong with her teeth. After examining her for a long time the vet basically diagnosed Olive with being stupid and forgetting to close her mouth after she drinks water.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
One of my students gave me a balloon for my birthday and when the helium was half gone a few days later, my husband and I spent like an hour drunkenly making our guineapigs react to it and rolling on the floor laughing.

I'd hold it down to floor level and get the guineapig's attention by crinkling the Mylar, and then slowly letting it float up, and the piggies would follow it with their heads with their eyes huge and mouths hanging open. My girls were popcorning and doing the drill-shake thing. 10/10 highly recommend showing your pigs a half-deflated helium balloon while drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
When we got ours neutered the vet told us "one month" and we waited until we hit the same calendar day of the next month before we adopted some girls from a shelter. 2 years and no babies but follow whatever your vet says.