Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the wire cage you have pictured in the first post cause bumblefoot in guinea pigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

Rodent Mortician posted:

Those are used for the walls in place of cubes when you can't find them.
Thanks for the clarification, my fault - I misunderstood the OP. On your next batch of edits you might mention bumblefoot up in the cage section (I do see it in the medical section) as its one of the big misconceptions about cages for guinea pigs. You wouldn't believe the number of people I write every day on craigslist who have their pigs on wired floors.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
(preface, I don't own hamsters, only guinea pigs)

I'm pretty sure the dragging of the legs is consistent with a spinal injury. I would think the fact that he's not dragging legs is at least better news, though that doesn't mean he's necessarily not in pain.

But yeah, really the only way you can know for sure is to head to a vet. He may have only cost $30 at a store but I would argue that his happiness would be worth a lot more. :3: Maybe call around and get a quote on what a simple x-ray would run just so you can see if there's any way you can fit in in your budget...? Most of all I would keep a close eye on him and ensure that he's eating healthy etc.

[edited for dumb grammar]

SonicYooth fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 14, 2009

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

LAWLandMine posted:

I'm going to keep a close eye on him over the next few days and see what develops.

Keep us posted too if you would. Best wishes for the little guy.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
When you say small, do you mean small enough that they're unable to fend for or feed themselves? If you think that they would be able to find food for themselves, I would consider releasing them somewhere. Is there perhaps any nature areas nearby that have enough cover that they wouldn't immediately be picked up by a hawk etc? It's problematic in the city because you don't want them to just run into someone else's home and become their problem or possibly wind up in a snap or glue trap.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
It's funny, there's tons of info on the web about how to humanely catch mice but not much about what to do with them afterwards. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer - if it were me I would take them sooner than later out to a nature area and leave them near a big brush pile or something. Maybe take a big handful of birdseed as food until they are able to search for their own.

Edit, found this - seems to be somewhat sane advice: http://mouseranch.com/FYI/releasing.shtml

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

cat with hands posted:

Couple of days later and now all three of them have suddenly started to scratching themselves all the time :(
We ordered a bit of ivermectin online and a handful of very small syringes and treated our pigs when we first suspected mites on one them. This page has helpful info: http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html You just put one tiny drop on their backs (look up appropriate dosing for their individual weight).

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

cat with hands posted:

We put in a divider in our large cage when we introduced the new one, I assumed we should have used two seperate cages? Or did we the owners act as carriers?

Both from my understanding. You're supposed to (at least ideally) have the cages in two separate rooms for 2-3 weeks so that you can observe both to ensure that they are healthy before trying introductions. Sometimes this isn't possible in small apartments so in that case just having them apart is a good first step. Also you need to wash your hands between handling them so that you don't carry mites etc back and forth. No harm done in this case, mites are cheap and easy to treat.

Oh and next time you might try posting on guinealynx and asking about adding another pig to your herd - the people over there are almost always able to find a rescue or someone willing to do a transport of a pig to a more remote location. I understand your decision but just sayin' in case there's a next time. :)

Post some pictures once you have the pigs stabilized!

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

maplecheese posted:

Not pictured: terrified orange guinea pig.
Oh man. That's just awful. So awful I don't really want to look at those pictures ever again. Let me know if I can chip in to buy that little guy a bunch of spinach and hay.

Any possibility that he/she will find a good home? If not, can we make you a thread on guinealynx to see if there are any rescues in the area? I occasionally read about fairytale endings for pigs there - might be worth a shot.

Jesus... I never thought a photo of old dried poop would haunt me.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

maplecheese posted:

but I've decided I'm going in tomorrow just to bring this piggie treats regardless.

Awesome. Glad this piggy has a human friend, even if its going to take some time for it to come around and trust folks. I'll send a few bucks over to the Montreal SPCA, even though I know sometimes the money doesn't trickle down to the local shelters as much as I'd like. Best wishes for the little guy.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

maplecheese posted:

AAAAAAAAH NO NO NO NO

I have a cat! And two ferrets! And one of my ferrets is partially paralyzed and needs a lot of extra care while she's recovering!

(And we already take the ferrets to a really great local exotic vet and we have a bedroom that the cat and ferrets aren't allowed in at all and we use wood stove pellets and fleece for the ferrets' litter and bedding and I know where to get coroplast and we only live a couple of blocks from this really cheap fruit and vegetable place and and and and and...)

Doooooo it. The way I always explain it to myself in adding another adoption is that I KNOW I'm going to give them a good life. Another adopter's definition of a good life for a guinea pig may not involve a C&C cage or fresh veggies. Or that, you know, special bond thing you have going on there. Hehe.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
Just wanted to say sorry Sataren. :( She was a cute one.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

Naffer posted:

My 1 year old Syrian hamster died this morning.
Sorry Naffer. :( That's a really cute picture of him.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
You might want to use a sexing guide to ensure she's a female and then make sure to adopt another female.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

Evil Vin posted:

My girlfriend's mom just picked up some guinea pigs, I want to pick up a toy or something for them to play around with. I was looking online and didn't really see much, but I did see some things made for Rabbits which claimed to be cool with pigs. Any recommendations?

Toilet paper tubes, paper bags and empty oatmeal canisters. Seriously, they'll ignore anything else.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
Dang. Sorry to hear that. When I lost my first pig I tried to remind myself how much better their life was than your average pig. Most spend their lives in tiny cages with very little interaction. He was a lucky guy. Rest well little dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
Just my two cents but I'd make sure the pen has a roof. The pigs would be easy prey for a hawk without one.