Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I will get some pictures of my African Soft Furred Rats post haste.

These buggies are similar to the 'regular' rat but sized down more to mouse size. They do have a good memory, don't seem as smart as the standard pet rat, but like the standard female rat, maternal instinct is strong. Mine have taken and raised mice pups without problem.

My mice have also nursed and raised rat pups; oddly enough, even without handling these mouse-raised rats are far calmer around people, whereas the ones raised by natural rat mom and aunts are insane things that never really calm down. Your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

All this talk of rodentia makes me want another piggie. But I think Cartman the evil mousecatching kitten would make its/their life hell! drat cat has already snuck in the mouse room when we're cleaning cages (14 cages, drat) and stole a fuzzy mouse from the bucket. Thankfully we got it back unscathed.

For the pregnant mouse, sometimes the litters are small, and sometimes mom makes them smaller. Unless you end up with a male mouse, the four will be fine together (one male mouse plus three females equals a lot of babies and one happy male) overall. Sexing can be done when they're furred and running around, but as stated above, the gonads are pretty drat obvious.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy, he should be fine. Just give a little extra paper towels for him because he will pee on and through them!

I never had a hamster as a kid, but was recently given/adopted one, a little white robo named Beanie. A fellow fishkeeper was looking for a new home for her (and what is one more cage when our spare room is a mouse breeding room), and what struck me as odd was that her past owner was so worried about her going as snake food. I was open with him: I do keep and breed snakes and breed mice to feed them. What kind of loving MORON would give a snake used to eating mice a hamster? For that matter, why would you use a tiny hamster as food at all? They tend to bite harder than mice do! Anyway, perhaps the logic of this helped get me Beanie. Pics to follow. She is a cute button of a thing and is discovering food outside of bagged seed 'diets.' Like vegetables and small bits of eggs and the like.

One day I want to get another piggie or two. The backyard is full of grass and weeds the tortoises are not keeping down fast enough! And we kinda need another few mouths to get rid of some of the excess salad anyway...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

After a few years of no rodents outside of what I feed my snakes, I got Dexter, a rescue guinea pig from up north. Pics to follow.

It's been a while since I've kept cavies, and they are pretty straightforward critters, and Dexter is loving awesome because he is the only pig I've ever had who will sit on my lap and fall asleep there.

That said, is there really any reason to feed him the standard cavy pellets? He gets a ton of greens because we keep tortoises too, lots of grass, and hay. The pellets are a staple, I know, but does he need them for health or will he be fine with greens and grasses from the backyard?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I ended up with a hedgehog over the weekend, by proxy of a farm animal rescue getting him and needing him to go to another rescue. So I have him now. Do we have a hoggie thread?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

What site do we use to upload pics these days? I need to post some of my piggie Penpen; she was dropped off at the humane society last year because of a tumor, and our cat/dog rescue asked if anyone would foster/hospice her. I volunteered, and took Penelope home. She is now called Penpen and barely does the cavy squeals unless I am late with her food.

I remember when I first got her, I'd wrap baby salad and cukes in a paper towel and make her tear it up to get it. Oh, she hated having to earn her food! Now she throws a fit if I just toss a handful in, she wants a puzzle, damnit!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

https://imgur.com/a/1VzHXyj

I couldn't figure out how to do thumbnails so I hope this works! Meet Urchin my hedgehog.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mistake made tonight. Brought Urchin out for evening loves and did not feed him right away. Let him play in hair. Urchin reminded me he always gets food and then hair time because he bit my ear rather badly. Not enough for a piercing, didn't even break the ski. And right where he had nailed me about two weeks ago when we started this system.

Ear does not hurt but is red. I suck, Urchin. I am sorry.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

He preens my hair then self-annoints himself. Freaked me out the first time he did it!

But yeah it was a hard nibble on my ear. He was curious, meat thing amid his playhair.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I have often wanted to do that with a hamster, but how insane are the moms about protecting their babies? I am lazy; my mice have been so bred over the years that they don't care if you touch or switch babies out or around. Problem moms get fed out asap.

I wonder if a mouse mom could raise baby hammies, and vice versa?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

teenytinymouse posted:

A hamster will eat her own babies on a dime if shes stressed, I don't see a baby mouse even registering as anything other than a threat or snackies. They're protecting themselves/the nest not the babies. Please dont try that lol

I used to keep african soft furred rats (they're about the size of standard mice) but they were always super wild. The odd thing was, if I had babies and the nursing mom had died, normal mice would raise the pups without issue, but the ones they raised never bred with other soft furred rats.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I need to get more pics of Urchin. This hoggie is loving awesome as poo poo. Lately I've been scooping him up in the evening, putting him in his sac, wearing it under my shirt for an hour or so before he wakes up from his nap. He snuffles around and lets me know he's ready, so I set him back in his cage, and he runs to the litterbox, then to get his water, some food, then back to bed.

Sometimes I wake him during the day to give him a piece of chicken. We have learned chicken, like mealworms, is a special treat. Otherwise he gets a bath, which he always poops in, leading to another bath. And he HATES baths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I was really worried about my hoggie for a while; hedgehogs can get a shaking disorder. About the nerves, and there's no cure. So when I saw him walking funny, a bit hunched over, and some quick spasms like he was twerking, I knew it wasn't good. I got Urchin back in August last year with no medical history on him, even an age.

A quick Google search showed me the truth, because he is still active and eating and pooping like mad. My little ouch mouse was just masturbating. A lot. Even on my hand.