Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Thanks for the bit on Gerbils. My girlfriend got one for Christmas as it's pretty much the only animal we can safely keep in our apartment. We'll definitely be getting a friend for him very soon on RumbleFish's advice. He absolutely adores the toilet paper tube too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

RumbleFish posted:

When you do get another gerbil for him, I recommend using the split cage method to introduce them, since they will be strangers to each other. You don't have to build a special cage like the one shown in the instructions; I just used a piece of hardware cloth that I securely duct-taped to the sides of the tank. This is a safe and gradual way to get them used to each other, since mayhem could ensue if you just tossed Gerbil B in with Gerbil A.

We've only had him for just over a day and I think we'll be getting his roommate today sometime. His cage isn't ideal (18"x12" 18" Tall), but it's ok as long as he has multiple levels, so I'm a little worried about floorspace for 2 of them and how to split the cage for a short time without confining them too much and providing them with food and water.

Any advice on that?

Like I said, we got him as a gift, and I don't really have the money to go out and buy an aquarium setup right now.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

RumbleFish posted:

Hmm. Do you know how old he is? The younger he is, the better he'll take to a new friend, though I've heard that older males are pretty good with pups too.

One thing I'd definitely recommend is getting two of everything -- two food dishes, two water bottles (if that would actually work/make sense with your current setup), two places to hide. That way they won't have to compete with each other for necessary resources, and it'll save you a lot of potential conflicts.

e: Also, for future reference, an aquarium setup shouldn't run you much more than $20. You can get a 10 gallon for around $10, a wire mesh lid for another $10, and locking clips for as little as $2.

I don't know his age at all and he was bought from a pet store. We might just hold off on a roommate until I can put a better home together for them.

I didn't realize aquarium setups were so inexpensive when you take out all the water circulation bits. This is probably a viable option.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Hey my GF made a video of our new pet gerbil Graham. There's some cuteness at 2:41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK1hqH9mJp4

He still hasn't gotten the hang of the ball or his wheel yet and he just kinda scratches at it and tries to get out.

He loves the hell out of cardboard though and chews at it like it's his job.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Well it turns out that our 2 gerbils are not capable of being nice to each other. We got a 2nd about 10 days after the first (it's been 2 weeks since then) and set them in different cages, though the cages butted against each other so they can see each other.

We let them out onto the couch sometimes where they can't get away, and just now, as I had them both out, they went into DEATHBALL mode where they turn into 1 twin-tailed, fur-flinging sphere of anger and rip the poo poo out of each other. In my attempt to pry them apart, one of them bit rather severely (holy poo poo I didn't know they could bite so hard).

I'd love to get them into the same cage eventually, but they really really are not getting along at all. Even supervised, they're way faster than me and I can't keep them from murdering each other, and my fingers.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

SubbyMinx posted:

I think this is why I'd never try to introduce a second gerbil/hamster/rodent. Any pairs that I've ever had have either been together since birth (multiple broods being put together) or have actually been siblings (my gerbils have almost identical markings).
Perhaps this is just my own laziness at even trying to get an unknown pair to live together. I'll go with Garfield on this though: "Some call it laziness, I call it deep thought" I'll just wish good luck to anyone who does try.

Yeah I think we're done trying. They're gonna kill each other at this rate. We have 2 cages anyway, so it's not really a huge deal.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Checking in on this thread after a few months. I got some great input from you guys about how to handle them and provide.

We have 2 gerbils that we were unable to acclimate to each other (resulting in a lot of blood on my behalf when one of them bit me while being separated) named Graham and Thunderhorse. But I have some :3: pictures, so I thought I'd share.

Thunderhorse chilling in his Fortress of Solitude :black101:

Thunderhorse again, in his bath/house/bathroom, telling you to get off his lawn.

Thunderhorse again, hanging out with me. He seems entirely content just sitting on my shoulder.

Graham in MEGAMODE defending his castle.

Graham dug to the bottom of his terrarium and decided he'd sleep there. This is him smooshed against the glass.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 21, 2010

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Awesome Kristin posted:

Hey guys. Quick question. I have a robo hamster that won't use her dust bath but is looking rather oily. Is there anything I can do for her?

Edit: I'm sorry about your loss Fewd. :(

My gerbils won't use theirs either. They jump inside and start digging all the sand out (rather violently) then making GBS threads inside it.

We have to take them out and put them in a little plastic tub with the sand in, and just throw the sand on them. They seem to enjoy that actually, but the don't get the idea that they can do it themselves.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Ok this is driving me nuts - One of my gerbils lives in a good-sized and super-awesome aquarium skull. He sleeps in it, lives in it, hordes in it, but he scratches on the inside of it RELENTLESSLY to the point where I have to take it out.

Is there a reason he's doing this aside from his natural digging tendencies?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Nereid posted:

Mice are stinky, get gerbils!

I'm with this guy. After reading up on Mice and Rats and the amount they they pee and stink up the place, I'm happy we ended up with gerbils.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Pierce

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Experto Crede posted:

I used to own a hamster who lived to the age of three years, he was :3:

But looking back, I remember that he has absolutely huge bollocks for an animal his size. They were the size of marrowfat peas.

After he died, I didn't get a new one, so I'm wondering: Are all hamsters/rodents in general, so well endowed? Or was my hamster just a mega rodent stud?

My gerbils have huge balls, but even they pale in comparison to some rats.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

alucinor posted:

I was like, ok, they got what, 6 months to live?

Nope. Three of them lived nearly two more years, one of those fuckers was SEVEN when he finally died. Adorable fun little animals.

Wow this is awesome. I was to understand that their lifespan wasn't great. My 2 gerbils are at ~1 year right now, but they're caged separately, which I understand lowers their lifespan. They visit sometimes, but we can't keep them together due to fighting. Somehow I've avoided having a pet die on me after all these years - they usually have "run away" at some point, never to be seen again - and I'm dreading losing my little guys.

Unfortunately, mine were bought from a pet store (one as a gift, another to keep with the first, but that didn't work out). The next ones will be rescued or from a breeder, if we can find one.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
"We're Chinchillas (no homo)"

Goddamn those are cute. The GF is pushing to get a pair or Chins or couple of Pigs (we have 2 Gerbils right now). I can't let her see these pictures.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Goldirocks posted:

I've got the tank already set up but I want to make sure that I have everything I need before they get here. They're going to have a 15 gallon tank to themselves with lots of carefresh to dig in. I've also gotten them a bunch of wood chews and toliet paper tubes to nibble on and a little coco cabana. :3: Is there anything I'm missing? I've got the basics (food, wheel, water bottle) and I want to make sure that everything is all set before they come home on the 17th. I've gotten a lot of mixed advice and I trust PI to set me straight instead of some of the "advice" I've gotten. Like how nothing smaller than a ferret has a personality. :downs:

Oh man I want a black gerbil so bad :3: Personally, I think they have a lot of personality. I have 2, and they're very different in mannerisms.

As far as gear goes, Carefresh or Aspen works good. We recently went to using aspen because it's less messy (carefresh creates a lot of lint, imo) and they seem to like digging in it more. Toilet paper tubes are a must, and the best treats I've found for them have been small bits of dried fruit (Fiesta - Healthy Toppings) and for some reason, Cheerios. They're loving MENTAL for Cheerios.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I have 2 gerbils from different lots. They don't live together because of the fighting, but only one of them has ever figured out a wheel, the other one just crawls under it.

His cage is super-deep with bedding so he can tunnel around and such, the other one is in the wheel for hours a day.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I need some advice:

My gerbil is probably in his final days - he's over 3 and a half years old and he's recently gotten very sluggish, not running in his wheel, his ears are laid back, looks like he's lost some weight, and it looks like he's breathing harder than normal. He's still eating and drinking, but he's just sort of zoned-out and a sleeping a lot.

Is there anything acutely wrong with him that I can help alleviate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Perfectly understandable - but it's sunday and I can't him into the Vet until tomorrow.