Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

So we got another guinea pig, this time from the local pet store... I know what you're thinking but we don't have a rescue or good breeder within 250 km. Couple of days later and now all three of them have suddenly started to scratching themselves all the time :(

We got the first ones from the local zoo, run by a sketchy fellow who wears more gold than a 70's pimp and only hires russians. These piggies (probably bred as food for the reptiles) had no problems what so ever and were better taken care of. At least I know better now and won't spend another dime in a pet store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

helpful people posted:

:words:

Thanks a lot, I might take them to the vet anyway for a routine check up but you no doubt saved me some money and trouble!

We put in a divider in our large cage when we introduced the new one, I assumed we should have used two seperate cages? Or did we the owners act as carriers?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Our piggies are getting along fine now. We took out the divider after about one week and they've (mostly) behaved since then. All 3 got a vet checkup and mite medication.

This is Mampuku, largest and oldest pig in charge. Incredibly mild towards the other piggies, cares ONLY about food. He's a real chicken about everything else though.

Kuro is the inquisitive troublemaker. A real rear end in a top hat towards the others but loves to be held and take naps under the blanket with us.

Rorschach is the newest addition. I named him that because of the splotches, the fact that he's tiny but very strong for a guinea pig and doesn't take poo poo from kuro even though he's half his size. Very social, mild mannered and tidy. Stands on his hind legs like a Meerkat when begging for a snack :3:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

alucinor posted:

:smith:

Gonna go and pet my piggies now. Death doesn't bother me. Malice, neglect and indifference breaks my heart.

Oh, for that goon earlier who asked about leashes, 2 of our 3 piggies are just fine wearing them, so don't dismiss them completely.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

help, I think my pig is melting :3:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

And if you're really lucky, you'll get to hear the mystery noise. Chirping. I don't mean burbling or squeaking, I mean "holy gently caress there's a bird in the living room". Occasionally, guinea pigs just zone out and start chirping, loudly, like a bird. No one knows why they do it, not every pig does it, but once you hear a pig do it once you'll usually hear it again. I had a chirper, and it was an amazingly fascinating phenomenon to see and hear.

According to my girlfriends experience, it's a challenge or call-out to a foreign pig. Like "fight me or the hell out of my territory". She told me that it's something that only happens when they feel challenged by someone they can smell but can't see or can't get to, maybe some chirpers just have vivid imagination?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

So anyway, there's plenty of theories, but nobody's got a clue why it really happens.

Alien transmissions from outer space. Guinea pigs just happen to be the only life form that can recive them. :tinfoil:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

^^^^^^^^^
At least you tried. RIP Humphrey.

Ha, I just figured out the perfect way to bond with our new pig! He's been very shy around me, don't think he's been around many males since the staff at the pet shop was females only. Always runs away and is afraid to come near me even when I bring tasty veggies.

So tonight after a thorough cleaning of the cage, I had a sudden flash of inspiration and sat down in it. :downs: It's a 6*2 feet cage, so plenty of room for all of us. Now, when I was on his turf instead of the other way around he was much more comfortable around me and after just a few minutes he came to me and started to run around my legs. No sign of hostile or anxious behaviour. :)

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

alucinor posted:

I have never known a pig in 10+ years who didn't eventually decide that bell peppers are heaven on earth.

They have to be green though. White, yellow, orange or reds are shunned like a nail cut. :rolleyes:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Our pigs probably had running water at the zoo and couldn't figure out how to use ball release water bottles. Turns out they just needed a bit of extra motivation. We filled up the bottles with half water and half tomato juice, the natural kind with no extra salt or sugar.

EDIT:It was of course quickly but gradually phased out until there was nothing but pure water in the bottles.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 7, 2010

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

If you're talking C&C cages, she's already ahead of the game by a considerable margin. Most guinea pigs spend their lives in godawful pet-store cages and never have any real freedom to move around. Good on you.

Is there any way to active pigs? Mine doesn't seem interested in getting any exercise despite having plenty of space.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

Well, pigs are usually most active when they're young, but I've had even 5 year old sows start a stampede now and again. The best thing you can do to encourage exercise is give them as unobstructed a track as possible around the outside of the cage. This will encourage them to run laps, which they'll do at odd hours and whenever they get the notion.

Another good exercise is floor time, if you can block off a section of a room and let them just explore around, they'll get plenty of exercise checking out all the unfamiliar terrain. They also might pee on your carpet, so be prepared to deal with that.

And the more pigs you have, the more exercise they'll get, just from interacting with each other. But occasionally one will just randomly feel the need for speed, and that will sometimes set the others off. There's few sights funnier than five guinea pigs, all lined up nose to tail, trotting around the living room until one gets spooked and they scatter like a bunch of neighborhood kids that just broke a window at the creepiest house on the block.

Plenty of floor time, but they tend to just hang around the cage anyway. Maybe they're just lazy because of the cold.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

That could kind of be a factor, guinea pigs like it in the 65-75 degree range, and I noticed the few times I managed to let the thermostat slip a few degrees below that they really didn't want to do anything but huddle in their pigloos and not move.

That might be it then, it's about 16 celcius inside right now.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Serella posted:

And scream like you are murdering them. :(

It's hilarious.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

One day I want to get another piggie or two. The backyard is full of grass and weeds the tortoises are not keeping down fast enough! And we kinda need another few mouths to get rid of some of the excess salad anyway...

Good thinking, a few piggies is probably the cutest way to convert your lawn into poop.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Piggies are almost at 1.3 kilos, time for diet?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

My pigs are getting spoiled rotten with fresh clover, dandelion and timothy. How can I ease the transition come fall?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Can a guinea pig who is really freaked out by water get used to bathing or is it better to just avoid the stress and a use a wet towel?

I'm aware that you shouldn't wash a pig for no reason. However, getting fed all fresh plants means a lot more urinating in the cage and even though I clean it more often they still get kinda icky. It's great that they only go no 1 in the corners, if only they didn't sleep there too!

I tried using a clear plastic container placed in the cage with about 1,5 inches of lukewarm water. First one didn't have a problem at all, second was ok as long as I held him but the third kinda panicked as soon as his feet got wet.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 12, 2010

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

alucinor posted:

I've never met a pig who was happy with bathing. Being freaked out is perfectly normal, don't worry about it. Just hold them tight so they don't wriggle out and fall.

I recently met someone who came up with a neat solution to wet bedding. She got some egg crate louvers - these are plastic grid panels meant to cover fluorescent light fixtures - and cut them to the size of her cage. She lays a layer of carefresh, then a louver, then another layer of carefresh. The wet stuff goes down to the bottom layer and the top stays dry, and the pigs aren't actually walking on the gird. A similar solution could involve a layer of bedding, the grid, then a layer of fleece on top, if you preferred using fleece.

I tried it again yesterday and this time everyone was OK with it. I just put them down slowly in the container so they got their feet on the bottom and then let go. They didn't panic or move around a lot until it was time to go back up.

Thanks for tip about layering the cage, I'll see what I can come up with. When they were mostly on pellets and hay some newspaper under the fleece was usually enough. Now when they are getting everything fresh even triple the usual amount of paper isn't doing the job.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Got 2 100 liter bags of timothy/clover hay for only 4€, harvested just a few days ago. Took out all the fleece and put a thick layer of paper in the bottom, covered entire cage in hay. Piggies now in heaven.

EDIT: I've had quite a few different pets in my life, but I can't think of a sound cuter than the bubbling of a happy guinea pig.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 20, 2010

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Part-Time Robot posted:

No, it's definitely the pigs. I was given a pig to hold, nowhere near a cage, and I simultaneously broke out into hives and swelled up. I'm near my sister's chin's hay all the time and it never bothers me.

Just another one of nature's cruel jokes on my body, I suppose.

Maybe you're just allergic to cute? Pigs are a lot cuter than chins after all.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try, I've been worried sick about the little guy :(

Edit: We found him! He just showed up in the livingroom all of a sudden!

I wish my piggies had half the lust for freedom your chin displayed. All they do during floor time is standing next to the cage waiting to get back in. :(

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

sup yawning little buddy?

:aaa:

I miss these two dearly :(

The great mystery of guinea pigs, how can they eat so much with that tiny mouth?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Is anyone else's pigs irritated in fall and autumn? The boars have been fussy little troublemakers ever since it got colder and the leaves started to drop. Must be something hormonal.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

I could not imagined something so small could make so much poop heh.

The weekly weigh ins suggested by Alucinor only works if you are consistent with their diet. As you've already discovered they have pretty quick metabolism and their weight can change quite quickly just by how much food they are given.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 1, 2010

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

The alpha or beta behavior within the pack doesn't always carry over to how they interact with you either. I have three boars and while the hierarchy doesn't seem as strict as it with a pack of females, the largest pig who you would consider alpha is big baby about being picked up and separated from the others. The other two slightly submissive pigs are much more brave.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

I had some small, I don't know what you call them, paint buckets? I had 2 of them in in the enclosure as hides, a pigloo and a strangely shaped piece of cardboard which they liked, but they loved the upturned bucket shaped things best though they used them all. The plastic in them is a lot softer than the pigloo, which she does not chew on. Would they chew on a PVC pipe?

Where do you buy the cardboard tubes?

Should I put in pieces of cardboard just for them to chew on?

Maybe you just need to give them more food with some chewing resistance? My pigs doesn't chew the PVC pipes they use for hides, nor the pillows, fleece or anything else inedible. They will "taste" everything you put in front of them, but that's just exploring with their mouths.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

I use a thick layer of paper, covering the whole bottom of the cage, and then a double folded layer of fleece over that. Sometimes I spot clean but usually it's enough to just clean the cage entirely 2 or 3 times a week. I have a balcony facing the woods though, so I can just shake off the worst dust and hay before washing.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Do pigs ever break up fights?

Last night the black bully was hauling rear end nipping and humping the shy pig for whatever reason. After a while the big fat one who usually is really timid kind of strutted in between them, nose raised and balls swinging. Question is, did I just see him restoring some order to the pack or am I overanalyzing and the thick headed furball just thought all the commotion involved him somehow?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Things I never said before owning pigs #3

*opening a bag of really fresh hay* Mmmmmmm, delicious!

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Sirotan posted:

^^^^ Jesus christ :gonk:

Black Friday pet supply protip: Now is a great time to ditch the carefresh or pine shavings and switch your piggies over to fleece and towels as bedding. Fabric stores like Joann's or Michael's have fleece at 50% off on Black Friday. I'm moving in ~1 month and when I do my pig cage is going to get a remodel so I'll be stocking up on some cute new fleece on BF. I'm lame so buying fleece for pigs will probably be the only line I'll stand in all day.

^^^^^^^^^^
Ouch indeed.

Fleece blankets are pretty much everywhere, in a billion different patterns, often on sale for a couple of € and the usual 180-120 size gives you a pretty large patch for very little money.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Some pigs have weird preferences about how they tolerate being picked up. For mine one is a-ok with the normal way. One freaks out if you don't hold your hand under his stomach and leave his back feet dangling. The third one is ok with just about anything as long as have a hand covering his back.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Serella posted:

Sometimes it takes another person to help you hold them because even veggies won't distract them.

This part is important. Pigs generally doesn't have the strength to seriously injure them selves like rabbits do, you have to watch out though not to twist or bend their legs by accident.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is it normal for a pig to have claws that short?

If I were to cut them that short on mine I'd sever the pulp.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

You can actually get the pulp to recede by trimming nails frequently; clip a little bit at a time, and the blood line will gradually shrink. You have to do that for pigs with overgrown nails, or else you draw blood every time.

Time to get a flashlight and go to work.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

What the hell do they put in these things to make them so addictive?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

How do you deal with pigs sharing the same cage but having different dietary needs?

I've come to the conclusion that the amount of food I put in now makes the two smaller pigs into fat bastards but the large one is a bit on the skinny side, and pigs need a slight chub, right?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

How skinny are we talking? Pig physiology is just different sometimes; I had one girl that regularly tipped the scales at 1.5 kilos and another who never broke 1 kilogram in her life. You could always take the skinnier pig out for treats if you were really worried - Oxbow makes these vegetable biscuits that pigs seem to love, and one or two of those a day might make the difference.

Also, do you have multiple food bowls? If the two younger pigs are crowding out the older one, a second bowl might help.

All three seem to keep roughly the same weight despite one of them being a lot larger. It used to be almost 1.3 kilos for all of them, which was way too much for the smaller ones but just slightly too much for the large one. After taking out the pellets and giving extra fresh greens they now all weigh in at 1.1 kilos. The two smaller ones could probably go down to 1 or .9 and still be in good shape but it's a little on the skinny side for the large one.

I only have one (large) hay rack and one food bowl, but sharing is not a problem and the large one is always the boss when it comes to food.

He's very social and doesn't take being separated from the rest very well, I don't think dividing the cage is a good solution. I'll try to pick him up and feed him double servings of the "treats" and limit the pellets a little so the smaller ones doesn't gain too much.

(Is there any standard for measuring a pigs length? They are like goddam furry accordions)

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

gently caress

What first looked as a bite mark on the nose of the fighty pig turned out to be a bald spot, upon closer exam all three of them have a spot somewhere of varying size.

Hoping it's "only" fungus and not ring worm as well. Anyway, I should start to treat the dry spots right away, correct?
Time to raid the drug stores tomorrow for guinea lynx approved medication.

I wonder how the hell they got this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

I've noticed no excessive scratching or biting, nor is the dry patches sensitive to touch. Will try to get some pictures soon.

EDIT: Updated with pictures. Camera is lovely and doesn't have any real ISO or shutter settings, better pictures have to wait until daylight.

Click here for the full 1024x777 image.

Click here for the full 1024x758 image.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 28, 2011