Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Hey guys, I'm currently looking into getting a hamster for my girlfriend. We did some mild research and basically she wants two hamsters, and seems to be partial to dwarfs at the moment. Couple of initial concerns and questions:

Googling around seems to indicate that there are no breeders in the Vancouver area. Is there some other method of finding breeders? How big of a deal is it compared to getting one from the pet store?

What sort of habitat is good? Initially we looked at the Habitrail Ovo Suite for Dwarfs and it seems kind of fun, but there seems to be a bunch of bad reviews in addition to good ones, so I'm rather wary, and it seems to be pointed out that it's not that great since there isn't a lot of open space for them to run around. We want some fun accessories for it too since it's fun for us and also these are supposedly pretty curious little guys. The frustrating thing is that there seems to be no universally agreed on best 'fun' habitat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Thanks for the reply guys, a lot of it is quite helpful. :)

CagedLiberty posted:

aquarium with fun things
This actually sounds like a pretty decent idea. I'll take a look more into the things that I can put in there. What's a good sized aquarium for 2 hamsters?

alucinor posted:

pet shelter stuff
Sounds like a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it will be easy to find two hamsters that my girlfriend likes but will get along with each other, be the same sexed, and still be quite social and whatnot. I might look into it though.

SubbyMinx posted:

holy poo poo
Having been to the pet store, I think we're not crazy about the Chinese ones. There were two that were just labelled dwarf (this one had a black and white coat) and a winter white. What are some of the main differences between robos and Russians? I think I can go without the habitrail stuff, but might install some tubes anyway somehow. :)

I think I'll stick with the aquarium idea if that's the goon consensus, it seems much better thought out although I can't pretend the hamster is inside a spaceship pod.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Two quick questions:
How are water bottles and other apparatus installed in an aquarium? Most of them that I see seem to be meant to be attached for cages and there seems to be no easy way to have it hanging.
And what are the criteria for a hamster wheel to prevent this from happening?

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
We've got a whole bunch of stuff purchased, tank, water bottle, little shack, food dishes, bedding, whatnot and all that's missing is the hamsters!

Yesterday after heading to a PetSmart and finding a Russian dwarf which was quite nice, but didn't have the coat of fur that my girlfriend wanted, we checked out a Pet Habitat inside a mall. They had five Russian dwarfs but it was pretty much the worst thing ever. The five of them were stuck together inside the 10 gallon tank, and when asked about the hamsters the guy there just answered like a retard. Age? 3 months, MAYBE. Gender? Don't know. Are they siblings? Don't know. The tank was messy and badly kept, and he handled the hamsters pretty terribly too.

Needless to say we didn't buy from there, but I'm just so surprised that pet stores with such inexperienced and unprofessional people and care for animals exist.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.

RumbleFish posted:

Sadly, it's not that much of a surprise. Some businesses are just all about the bottom line. :(

I guess so. I'm still kind of new to the scene but most pet store experiences so far have been pleasant except for this one and its sister stores. The appalling thing about it all is that they put all the hamsters in the same cage while not knowing their genders.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
For some reason it's been a ridiculously hard time trying to find a pair of decent Russian dwarfs. They've either been too old, treated badly, wrong coat, or plain wrong breed. They're supposed to be the most common of the drawfs! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Finally got two Russian dwarfs, both guys. They're adorable :)

They don't seem to be running too much on the wheel though. One of them is quite fat so it seemed like he couldn't fit on the small 4.5" silent wheel, but after getting a bigger 5.5" which should fit either of them they still don't show too much interest in running. Is there anything that I can do to induce them to exercise?