Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Long time lurker seldom poster.

I am soon going to be the proud adoptive father of a robo hamster that was the only survivor of a hungry mother. I know they can be fast little fuckers and need to be watched and cared for moreso than other dwarfs due to their speed.

So Im going about buying good bedding, a cage, food n toys and the only thing habitat wise that Im worried about is getting a good wheel. Looking around robo websites and youtube, I get the sense that having the wrong wheel can be anywhere from bad to deadly for such a speedy little guy. Are there any wheels that have speed regulators or do any of you have any suggestions for an ok wheel that he wont get hurt on if he decided to pull a Sonic and make a full loop and fall off?

Edit: I have some experience handling russian dwarfs and how they react to a new person and taming, how much different is taming a robo compared to a russian? If its just a matter of patience and a daily routine than Im just over worrying.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So last month I adopted a dwarf russian hamster, and a miscommunication led me to believe that I was picking up a robo, but whatever its adorable and loves me.

The problem is the little guy has gotten noticeably chubbier, and is in general a lazy bum. Are there any ways to get him to use his wheel more or should I just put his food bowl and everything else he loves above a ladder?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
No hes a Russian just curled up and cupped. I stopped giving him yogurt treats after 2 days, apparently some decided to cement up in his cheek with his feed and well getting it out was not a happy affair.

+1 its been 4 years since I last had a hamster, and my little Bakunin has been with me for over a month. In addition to being a lazy fatbutt, he just started to empty his cheek pouches on me, with no change at all in how I treat him. Its a stupid small quick question but basically its small and nothing I should be worried about and just go "awwwww" at?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 23, 2010

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Rinse and repeat just keep offering treats. My russian dwarf took two months to really warm up to me and not get terrified after ten seconds of handling.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Squarette posted:

R.I.P. Sproles
His little heart stopped yesterday :(

RIP Sproles

Dwarf solidarity

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ham Health question. My dwarf russian today started coughing all the time when hes active. He makes cough noises the more he moves around and on his back, and get agitated if I do so. This just started today. Im assuming this is an breathing problem, yet I havent done anything super stupid.

Bedding is carefresh and he eats a good mixed diet.

Edit: as I finish typing this post hs stoped coughing and is fine. Should I still rush him to a vet or wait to see if this comes back?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

CagedLiberty posted:

It could just be a cold - a vet might be able to give you something for it. What age is your ham?

5 Months about. He only had a ten minute coughing fit and since then nothing and hasnt acted otherwise differently. I changed his bedding and he seems fine so Im just going to watch him and have moved him to a less drafty area. Still lovlingly pees on me the same.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im confused and worried. Im taking my dwarf hamster home with me for christmas break so I went and got him a small travel cage since I usually keep him in a 20gal tank. Anywho I put him in the travel cage to get used to it and hes been fine for like 6 hours he has everything but then now hes doing something wierd.

He gets on his back and makes little distress squeeks. It looks like hes sleeping and hes just on his back squeeking in his sleep. I have no Idea what to do so Im putitng him in his tank to see if he stops. These are distress squeeks and different than the ones he gives me when pissed.

edit: Im going to harass a vet tomorrow but Im up at 4am cause he wont stop squeeking. This has been going for 3 days straight. Ive checked on google and mostly it seems if my guy is making noise in his sleep, hes fine. But this is new, hes like crying everytime he goes to sleep, and now hes letting one squeek off every minute or so in his sleep. When hes awake I gave him a good once over, squeezing and poking various parts of him too see I got a negative reaction to anything like if was hurt, and all I got was a damp pee stain and some licking.

Did he just decide the little travel cage was too much and hes having a nervous breakdown? He just sounds so pitiful and sometimes has squeeking fits, all asleep. Im in the middle of a bad depression and my little guy is my emotional parent-surrogate, I couldnt stand to see him hurt.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 21, 2010

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Hey guys. My dwarf hamster started making little sniffle noises and slight wheezing today. Sounds muffled and comes out like a chuffing sound. Im a non smoker and keep him in a seperate room when cleaning. Should this be a vet vist or something I watch?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My guy would run around for 5 minutes, piss himself, and then devote the rest of the day cleaning himself.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Generally how big and fast does a skin tag turn into a tumor? My hamster has a weird little skin tag in the inside one of his ear folds. Its a little smaller then one of his digits (dwarf hamster). Its about 2 months new and looks pretty soild despite its size, how big/fast should it be before I get worried. Working on pictures.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Going to the vet, my hamster has a spherical hard mass in his gut, and looks like he has trouble passing urine or feces last 24 hours. Imma load him up on veggies and hope its just constipation instead of something bad.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
SO I had to euth my dwarf hamster today, it seems he had a urinary blockage that came about pretty quick in the last 3-4 days. The vet tried clearing the obstruction and drained his bladder and tried backwashing out whatever was blocking it, but nothing worked. I had thought about taking him home for the night then having him euthed in the morning, but instead I had him put down then. Im terribly allergic to every other living thing so this was my first real pet in a decade and I and collapsing.

Little guy was just over a year old and perfectly healthy beyond this, he just got over biting my nose and started to lick it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Food, feed him with you hand, feed him in you hand. To get my guy to love me I got strips of lettuce or whatnot and dragged him along while he was latched on chewing away. While hes eating try poking or rubbing him while the foods still in your finger tips. My hands were covered in bite marks first 3 months but at the end my dwarf would nap in my palm.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just replaced the hole in my heart with 2 robo males, and my god they are like hamsters on crack they are running around so much. Id figure they would settle down the minute I got them home but nope they gotta RUN RIGHT NOW.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
One of my robos seems to have sticky eye, Im going by this guide:

http://www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=stickyeyes

He was fine all 2 weeks Ive had him and I just changed the bedding the second time today, changing from carefresh white to natural, and he got sticky eye in 10 some hours. Can this be treated by in store solutions or do I need to see a vet.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Now that stuck eye has passed, it seems dominance has become an issue. At first Lenin was dominant over Popcorn, but then Lenin got stick eye for a week. Now Lenin is dominant, and he drew blood on Popcorn's butt. One small bite on his rump, small spot of blood. Should I separate them immediately or can this be a one time thing?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Annnnd Im separating them because this morning popcorn has a little knick by his eye and Im getting him vet checked and his own cage today.

Edit: do hamsters release that reddish-stress substance that rats do? It seems like he scratched his eye and has a red dot at the eyelid fold opposite the tear duct.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 31, 2012

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
OK so if any of you read the Seasteading thread in GBS, there are a few posts on Hamsters Going Galt and building an underwater Hame-ture. In my quest for more funny comics of hamsters living under the sea, I found this.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/01/06/hps-hamstar-homemade-hamster-powered-submarine/

I laughed, then I cried.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is it just their forti diets, what about their dental bites?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Pew! Pew! posted:

Update on my hamster who fell: seems to be okay, is walking around like he normally would but I'm going to see if the vet can give me a second opinion. He's not running on his wheel and that's enough cause for concern for me.

Ive dropped my robo plenty of times from 3 feet, or hes just fallen off himself. All the fussing your giving him is probably making him not run. At most give him a light squeeze on his limbs and abdomen. If he doesnt react hes fine.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Ssthalar posted:

Aw, they're sweet. :3:
Also, Hamsters are usually grumpy when woken up, but they will have to deal with it :colbert:

By the way, this is a general Hamster question for anyone to answer.
I was told that a hamster that started preening/cleaning itself felt safe in it's current place, is this true?

Yes and no. If they are just washing their face over and over again then they are scared or nervous. Otherwise if they are grooming themselves and such then they are content and happy.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Your Robo is acting fine. I just had to replace my hamsters wheel because he wore out the bearing and spun the thing in two. He hates the new wheel, refuses to use it, and makes his anxiety/distress noises because he wants his old purple silent spinner and this new green one is unacceptable.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

hhgtrillian posted:

Okay, I need the expert advice of those who keep or have kept robo hamsters. I sort of impulse adopted a little robo hamster that came in from a local pet store into the vet clinic I work at. He came in missing a front leg, and I held him while the vet examined and cleaned him. I felt sorry for him and asked the people from the pet store if I could adopt him. I don't really even like hamsters. I read a little bit real fast before getting him, but I don't think I made the right decisions on all the stuff I got. What is the best cage set us and most importantly food for this little guy? I got the cage below which in retrospect, I think is just too involved for a tiny little three legged robo. I don't think he can even get up in those higher places. I thought about just removing the slide part up to that wheel and replacing it with just a normal wheel like this Silent Spinner or Flying Saucer. I think the water bottle from this sucks too and I'm not sure he is using it, so I put a small dish of water in with him too. I'm wondering if I should just replace the entire thing with an aquarium or something else? I just want to do right by this little guy. He's on some antibiotics right now, and I'm cleaning his little nub wound daily. I don't even know if it's a boy or a girl, but I've named him Walter.

A rat cage will do, as long as the bedding is shallow enough so that the robos cant escape. Any tank will do, 20 g aquarium or big mouse cage. Silent spinner is a good wheel, and robos will spin off their wheel no matter what. Any wheel that is not a wire wheel is safe. Just change out the bedding weekly and make sure your not over feeding and piling up filth in the cage. Also dont get him a friend, he might loose another limb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My hamster would adorably lick my finger tips whenever I put my hand into his cage. And so one drunk day I decided to see if he would lick my nose. He did, and then decided to bite down. I was frozen with fear but thankfully he let go after 3 seconds. When they want to hurt you they are basically a stapler.