Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only issue with wildlife shots is the enormous lenses required.

Well, I like enormous lenses, I just can't afford them. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

I love wildlife photography, but unfortunately a lot of it is just par for the course. I understand the difficulty, skill and patience involved in just being able to shoot certain animals competently in the wild, so when guys like Nick Brandt come along, they blow me away.

Speaking of Nick Brandt, he's been posted in this thread already so I'm just going to quote that post :allears:

East Lake posted:

New Nick Brandt photos.

More here.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Robert Heinecken. He passed away here in Albuquerque a few months ago.

:nws: http://theworldofphotographers.wordpress.com/category/installation/

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
My problem with a lot of wildlife photography is that half the time it seems perfectly satisfied with simply having captured an image of an animal in the wild. When you get past the fact that it's a photo of an exotic animal in its natural habitat, you realize that a lot of it is really, really boring compositionally and aesthetically. I like feeling some sort of an emotional connection with photos of animals. So, yeah, Nick Brandt has kinda ruined a lot of the genre for me.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

My problem with a lot of wildlife photography is that half the time it seems perfectly satisfied with simply having captured an image of an animal in the wild. When you get past the fact that it's a photo of an exotic animal in its natural habitat, you realize that a lot of it is really, really boring compositionally and aesthetically. I like feeling some sort of an emotional connection with photos of animals. So, yeah, Nick Brandt has kinda ruined a lot of the genre for me.

I think there are sort of two mindsets with it.

One where getting the picture is where people get their enjoyment. Getting the gear, going on safari, and geting a tack sharp picture of a lion licking its balls.

The other is doing that but creating a spectacular image like Brandt does.

As viewers we're always going to prefer the latter because ultimately we shouldn't really give a poo poo how someone gets to take that picture but just the end result.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

aliencowboy posted:

I love wildlife photography, but unfortunately a lot of it is just par for the course. I understand the difficulty, skill and patience involved in just being able to shoot certain animals competently in the wild, so when guys like Nick Brandt come along, they blow me away.
I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of wildlife photography, but Nick Brandt's stuff just blows me away.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Jonathan May's work is great. He had an entry into the Taylor Wessing NPG Photo Portrait Prize last year and his work in general is just beautiful.

I'm heavily into my first project now and I think I'm addicted already. Looking through his work inspires me because his projects aren't all about terrible things and war or poverty stricken areas of the world.

Those projects are important, but it feels like we're flooded by horror all the time. It's lovely to see some beautiful images that are celebrating life for once.

My favourite portrait of his (and probably my favourite of anyones of the last few years) is this one in his Caravans series:

It just knocks me for six. I adore it.

Go and look at the rest of his stuff, it's ace - http://jonathanmayphotography.com/portraits

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Probably posted this before but I think one of my favourite wildlife photographers is Paul Nicklen, I also just found out he lives 20 minutes from me...

http://www.paulnicklen.com/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Frontcountry

A Natural Order

Both of these series are great, the second is available as a book that I would very much like to own.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

J. Carrier: Elementary Calculus

Mack Books posted:

Elementary Calculus, through a series of portraits, landscapes and still life photographs, observes the publicly private moments of these peregrine foreigners as they attempt to connect back to their homes. In his documentation of migrants and refugees in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, Carrier explores the distance between reality and desire – the want for what was and the hope for what will be – and traces the manner in which we navigate the points between the unknowns. His photographs resonate with the sense that in a foreign country geographical distance loses its physical measure and home feels like a hazy memory, a half-remembered dream.

Carrier’s subtle yet striking images of Israel and the West Bank throw up more questions than they answer. What does this influx of foreigners mean in a nation that is defined by ethnicity and competing claims of ownership? And how does this complex situation affect these new varieties of refugees? Is there promise in this land for them?

My copy arrived yesterday and is fantastic.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Spotted this on my G+ feed and liked it. Another wildlife photo :dealwithit:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Reichstag posted:

A Natural Order

Yeah I love this series. I don't suppose you saw The Garden by Alessandro Imbriaco?

I can't actually find the series on his site.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Syrinxx posted:

Spotted this on my G+ feed and liked it. Another wildlife photo :dealwithit:

I like wildlife photography like this that is not just a technically good photo, but it also displays natural behavior of the animal. I don't want to just see a portrait. I want to see a piece of that animals life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how long he sat there cursing that he didn't get the entire fox in frame before realizing there was still a good photo in it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

xzzy posted:

I wonder how long he sat there cursing that he didn't get the entire fox in frame before realizing there was still a good photo in it.

Maybe he did get the entire fox in :tinfoil:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I suppose that's a valid possibility.

But I'd have a hard loving time cropping down if I had the whole animal in the shot. I guess that's what makes him a pro and me not.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I reckon he definitely got the whole animal in and cropped it down.

Or a tiny bit of its head was cut off and he was cursing his luck until he realised he could do something cool with that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I suspect it was taken with a D4 on high-speed burst, so he probably has the full range of fox through half-fox.

edit:
http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2011/02/03/the-shot-that-got-away-aka-always-check-your-settings/

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 12, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The internet sure is a grand thing, it can solve any discussion.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yuanling Wang - http://wangyuanling.com/

The complete series. Great work.
http://wangyuanling.com/shi-ba-ti/

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 22, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/09/national-geographic-photo-contest-2012/100373/

Lot of exceptional photos here this year; not everyone is going to like every shot, but 1, 4, 22, and 43 are my personal picks. The last one in particular I can imagine the photographer opening that splitsecond capture in Lightroom and fistpumping :cool:

49 gets an honourable mention for it being amusing :)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This is absurdly good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NoneMoreNegative posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/09/national-geographic-photo-contest-2012/100373/

Lot of exceptional photos here this year; not everyone is going to like every shot, but 1, 4, 22, and 43 are my personal picks. The last one in particular I can imagine the photographer opening that splitsecond capture in Lightroom and fistpumping :cool:

Think I more or less agree with your picks, but 36, 38 and 45 are pretty good too.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Saw this today at work and laughed my rear end of at #12.

Who the gently caress thinks, "oh there's a leopard, one of natures most awesome apex predators! Let me throw a rock at him and see what happens... "

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

AceClown posted:

Saw this today at work and laughed my rear end of at #12.

Who the gently caress thinks, "oh there's a leopard, one of natures most awesome apex predators! Let me throw a rock at him and see what happens... "

He was probably trying to scare it away. Obviously it didn't work.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

He was probably trying to scare it away. Obviously it didn't work.

Here is a link to what I assume is the shot taken right before that one :

http://www.shahidulnews.com/2012/02/14/salil-bera-gets-honourable-mention-in-world-press-photo-contest-2012/

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I think I posted Lewis Hine in here already but I've been reading his notes that go with the photos in the LOC site.

quote:

Preston De Costa, fifteen year old messenger #3 for Bellevue Messenger Service. I ran across him and took photos while he was carrying notes back and forth between a prostitute in jail and a pimp in the Red Light district. He had read all the notes and knew all about the correspondence. He was a fine grained adolescent boy. Has been delivering message and drugs in the Red Light for six months and knows the ropes thoroughly. "A lot of these girls are my regular customers. I carry 'em messages and get 'em drinks, drugs, etc. Also go to the bank with money for them. If a fellow treats 'em right, they'll call him by number and give him all their work. I got a box full of photos I took of these girls - some of 'em I took in their room." Works until 11:00 P.M. Location: San Antonio, Texas.

quote:

Harry McShane - 134 B'way [I,e, Broadway] -Cin. O. - 16 yrs. of age on June 29, 1908. Had his left arm pulled off near shoulder, and right leg broken through kneecap, by being caught on belt of a machine in Spring factory in May 1908. Had been working in factory more than 2 yrs. Was on his feet for first time after the accident, the day this photo was taken. No attention was paid by employers to the boy either at hospital or home according to statement of boy's father. No com- pensation. Location: Cincinnati, Ohio.

quote:

Mrs. Dora Stainers, 562 1/2 Decatur St. 39 years old. Began spinning in an Atlanta mill at 7 years, and is in this mill work for 32 years. Only 4 days of schooling in her life. Began at 20 cents a day. The most she ever made was $1.75 a day & now she is earning $1 a day when she works. She is looking for a job. Her little girl Lilie is the same age she was when she started work, but the mother says, "I ain't goin to put her to work if I can help it. I'm goin' to give her as much education as I can so she can do better than I did." Mrs. Stainers is a woman of exceptional ability considering her training. In contrast to her is formed [?] another woman (this name was withheld) who has been working in Atlanta mills for 10 yrs. She began at 10 yrs. of age, married at 12, broke down, and may never be able to work again. Her mother went to work in the cotton mill very young. Location: Atlanta, Georgia.

quote:

Katie Kuritzko, 7-year-old oyster shucker. Has mumps now. Her 8-year-old brother also shucks. Location: Dunbar, Louisiana.

quote:

Housing conditions in the settlement of Dunbar. They are better than the average. See church in distance. Have their own jail. Houses and wood furnished. Location: Dunbar, Louisiana.

quote:

Maple Mills, Dillon, S.C. Johnnie. Said, "Aint got no last name," when asked for it. 8 years old. Beginning to "help sister spin." Location: Dillon, South Carolina.

quote:

Maple Mills, Dillon, S.C. Soarbar Seris, has worked off and on in the mill for 5 years. Winds. Gets 70 cents and up. "Recon I'm about 14." Didn't look it. Has worked more nights than day time. Location: Dillon, South Carolina.

quote:

Holland Mfg. Co., Gastonia, N.C. 8:00 P.M. Mill running nights. Location: Gastonia, North Carolina

quote:

Joseph and Rosy, 10 and 8 yrs. old. He sells until evening. She is one of 5 or 6 girls who sell (afternoons) in Newark. Location: Newark, New Jersey

quote:

Shaw Cotton Mills. An accident case. Alfred Padgett a doffer says he is 13 years old now, but worked when he was 12, and in other mills for 2 years before that. "I got my hand caught in the cogs of the spinning machine last week, and lost part of my finger. It stopped the machine, and I tell you it hurt. It pains me a lot now. Don't you think they orter pat me wages while I'm out with this bad hand? No, I can't read or write, but I think my mammy knows how to spell my name." Not a member of the family could read or write. Location: Weldon, North Carolina.

quote:

Some results of messenger and newsboy work. For nine years this sixteen year old boy has been newsboy and messenger for drug stores and telegraph companies. He was recently brought before the Judge of the Juvenile Court for incorrigibility at home. Is now out on parole, and was working again for drug company when he got a job carrying grips in the Union Depot. He is on the job from 6:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. (seventeen hours a day) for seven days in the week. His mother and the judge think he uses cocaine, and yet they let him put in these long hours every day. He told me "There ain't a house in 'The Acre' (Red Light) that I ain't been in. At the drug store, all my deliveries were down there." Says he makes from $15.00 to $18.00 a week. Eugene Dalton. Location: Fort Worth, Texas.

quote:

The first day at school - one of the Pocahontas Co. rural schools. Location: Pocahontas County, West Virginia

Edit; Bonus portrait that I found. Just really love everything about this shot.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 27, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

21 and 22 work together absurdly well.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 26, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The best part, I think, is the look of satisfaction on the man's face.

:downs: *sees a leopard, throws a rock at it*
:smug: *dusts hands off* Another job well done!
:catstare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I visited Custer state park this past summer, they actually recommend throwing rocks and sticks at a mountain lion if you encounter one.. but only if you can get ahold of them without crouching down (which apparently they interpret as a threat that you're going to attack).

Those photos have me doubting that strategy.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Antonin Kratochvil is one of my favorite photographers, I love his angles, and he does the blurred/out of focus photos in a way that a lot of people try to pull off, but most the time don't.

http://www.antoninkratochvil.com/#/Portfolio/Book%201/5

http://www.antoninkratochvil.com/#/Stories%201/Burma%20Heroin/3

http://www.antoninkratochvil.com/#/Portfolio/Book%201/49

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Lucas Foglia

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c12imO1nQgQ

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

The SF MOMA did a Robert Adams exhibit a few years ago and it was the single most boring photo show I've ever seen. Well, in a proper venue, that is. It was his work with tree "portraits", I guess I'd say. The composition was dead on, the lighting and print quality were both super flat. Frankly, I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

I see through GIS that a lot of his other work is a lot more dynamic than the tree shots, but man, that show really left a mark on me, even now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Stumbled upon this randomly on Flickr. God drat.

Untitled by BahareH BisheH, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/16/how-the-government-accidentaly-created-the-golden-age-of-american-photography/

Really good article on Petapixel with some stunning images

This owns so hard

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

a friend just sent me this:

http://stephenhilyard.com/gall_rap.htm

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
I don't know if this has been posted but I find the whole set to be very good:

http://holtermand.dk/2258/293375/work/majestics

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

These are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU