Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

This guy has so much awesome stuff on his site it's taken me 2 days to go through it all

http://www.luissanchis.com

Great stuff. Lots and lots of it not safe for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helmacron posted:

Yet if you look at other photos in his pool, this compositional skill you praise muchly is not evident, is not there. Has disapparated and I do wonder if perhaps, you are conjecturing things about a photo like your english teacher conjectured about a poet laureate who, like this photographer, had no other loftier ambition than to jerk off in his sock, so to speak.

It's a matter of opinion. And it's fantastic that this fellow managed to find some straight poles in China, and super fantastic he is using a 4x5 camera (really) but the photo, while being nice, and very straight, is just okay to me because when I look at it, that's all there is, there's no subtext. It's just as much of a snapshot as you can get with a 4x5 camera.

Well, informed opinion, though.

Is it possible the guy just pulled the trigger and caught this image by accident? Sure. It's also very, very unlikely. Not every image in his stream is as strong, but wouldn't that be fantastic? A flickr stream is not a portfolio, necessarily, with only the best of the best of a photographers shots. His isle of the dead shot is one of my favorite recent photographs, and he has several similarly strong.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

Here's some Sandy Skoglund:

With the exception of the fish picture, I find them all disquieting in way I don't like. Make them go away.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

I haven't been able to look at that for a long time now. It completely rips me apart.

Same here. I bookmarked it a while ago, and I'll see it in my photography bookmarks, and either go and glance, or just move on. Too powerful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

azathosk posted:

That is just depressing...

No, it's not just depressing. It's beautiful and moving and powerful...and sad, but it doesn't depress me, although I can see that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Spedman posted:

I posted that one a few pages ago, and unfortunately the story I was referring to in my own family has sadly come to the inevitable conclusion a few days ago.

Sorry for your loss.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Arinel posted:

I am a huge baby, I totally teared up (no real crying because I was at work).

The thing that made my gut drop was the photo of the father's note pad. The slow realisation as you read the list, you realise as he would have realised, first you don't know one little thing and then you realise you have no idea where anyone is. For all you know you could be completely alone. Adrift. Oh, and the message he wrote to his wife, who would never hear it.

Argh and his sighing.

Okay, so everything was sad.

But, it's also great. The last comment the son made, about his dad having gone to Paris to meet his Mum, is heart-warming and sweet, even to an atheist like me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helmacron posted:

Why does he have a gun pointed to his head? I know I'm just another Internet commentator, but the photo reminds me of those fake "intense" photos people take on flickr. like "okay, portrait idea, you look scared and I'll point a gun at you. it'll be a frighteningly true emotive picture."

He has a gun to his head because that is an effective way to get a confession. There's nothing fake about it, purportedly. If it is a picture of an actual interrogation, it's not unlikely there's a urine stain you can't see.

The Artist says posted:

I have been working on this photographic account of police work and the underworld in Eastern Europe off and on for the past five years. Documenting police work is far easier in a police state—an ex–police state, I suppose one should say—than it is in Canada. Here, the police interrogate suspects well out of public view and hide behind the bureaucratic screen of liberal democracy—the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Privacy Act as well as other confidentiality laws and so on—but still employ the techniques of intimidation, threats and mounting degrees of physical force to pry inculpatory statements from their subjects. The four months it took to complete this set of pictures involved a complete personal surrender of will. Every day was a fight between what I envisioned and what others involved deemed morally acceptable, even if it was repugnant to me. It was a clash of cultures, with my very quaint Enlightenment ideas clashing with the interrogators’ very serious ideas about confession.

http://www.canadianart.ca/art/features/2010/09/01/donald-weber/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cross_ posted:

You're not a real photographer unless your cameras look like this:

http://thetravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2011/01/bbcs-human-planet.html

Now THOSE guys need filters.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

joelcamefalling posted:

I am so into this guy's work right now - well, the People & Space collections.
http://www.andric.biz/#/folio/categories/12/281

Thank you. That's some great stuff, well thought out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/09/national-geographic-photo-contest-2012/100373/

Lot of exceptional photos here this year; not everyone is going to like every shot, but 1, 4, 22, and 43 are my personal picks. The last one in particular I can imagine the photographer opening that splitsecond capture in Lightroom and fistpumping :cool:

49 gets an honourable mention for it being amusing :)

21 and 22 work together absurdly well.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jesus. Number one is phenomenal.

• Locked thread