Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Haha. Guys, guys - No need to poo poo into each others lawns here. I must say the National Geo photos don't do much for me, but that's probably just because this genre of photography doesn't jibe that well with me.

Devin Yalkins work left me pretty much "Holy poo poo!" though. So different strokes and all that.
That said I wish I could be at least consistently as good as the above architecture/landscape photographer. Taking interesting pictures of stuff is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Santa is strapped posted:

Jessica Eaton

"Canadian photographer Jessica Eaton uses her camera to create color invisible to the naked eye. She gives bright hues to gray forms in her series Cubes for Albers and LeWitt, and that work was recently awarded the photography prize at the 2012 Hyères International Festival of Fashion and Photography"

"Eaton applies filters in those three colors to her camera and takes multiple exposures, a process that turns the gray form seen here into the vibrant ones seen above. “The color itself is mixed inside the camera,” she says."

Now that is something entirely different and very awesome. It's great to see that there are still people willing to explore new ideas and avenues for photography.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

I searched the last three pages and didn't find him, so here - have some Michael Wolf.

His Hong Kong cityscape pictures are especially awesome in how they dissolve into abstract patterns and colors.
I also like how he plays with the subject of photography with Google street view and others.

The only downside I can find is that he also took photos of destitute people, which is a big no in my book.

Anyway website here:

http://photomichaelwolf.com/

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Jesus creepy batman! That's great, also very inspiring!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

trip9 posted:

From Emil Kozak's series Big Black Nothing, where he walks until he gets scared, takes a picture, and then turns around and walks back.

This is beyond awesome, and thank you so much for pointing this guy out to me. I wish I could reciprocate, but I guess we'll have to hang on for a bit.

Edit: I just noticed that you're stealing the guy's bandwidth. Not cool! Download these pictures and upload them to imgur or something, quickly -- before SoundMonkey catches you!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Mrenda posted:

[...]

I love Hido's images for what they are but the message I see in them isn't something I want. They're not something I want from life nor something I can identify with. Just like that eminently relaxing meal in the Italian café everything is presented perfectly but I just can't vibe with the substance of what I'm seeing (or eating.) Even reading back on this I can see how someone can get hope and familiarity through Hido's photographs, but ultimately I see a reality of poo poo that people have to climb over. That's a magnificent thing to have captured in an image and I hope that I climbed over that poo poo heap by actually saying Hido's photographs are amazing, but not something I want to see.
First of all, you are aware that the thing photographed is not the representation of that thing, but a representation of an idea? Ceci n'est pas un pipe. etc..

So, assuming that -- what you're saying is you'd rather have the smooth fake reality of commercial and advertising photography? Cat photos? Flower photos? Photos of beautiful people with a beautiful blurred background. Technical perfection. A world, both seamless and utterly beautiful, and yet ...

You know, that this leads to the taking of pictures that seem to be both beautiful but hollow. Those images that seem to draw from advertisements more than the emotional state of being. But this emotional state of being is something, that is of utmost importance. To us as humans, to photography. And yes negative feelings have their place, too. And if Hido evokes those then it means that his art is powerful. Definitely worthy of consideration, worthy to be consumed and reflected upon.

There is another choice, of course. A beauty without meaning. A travel poster, a beautiful woman, a happy family, a shiny new car. A house bathed in beautiful afternoon light -- hollowness contained within a frame. Hollowness that resonates our own hollow unfulfilled lives, the ever dangling carrot.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

real nap poo poo posted:

cool but shame about all the tilt shift

Yeah thought the same, some shots are really good - but a lot of it is just "bokeh is nice at night lol" poo poo that makes me kinda question if the man has any idea what the heck he is doing. Bummer.

• Locked thread