Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Bojanglesworth posted:

Every time I come to this thread I see this photo and I'm sorry, but it just looks like a half rear end point and shoot photo. The other photo is great, but this one, not so much.
Look at the verticals then try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

baptism of fiber posted:

Jonathan Barkat

Kind of Crewdson-esque, but simpler and more commercial. Most of his stuff has that melancholy/mystery that I love.

Charlie White :nws:

Oh if I only had a budget...
Very fond of both these two, particularly Barkat.

For those not aware, White did the Understanding Joshua series. His website is http://www.charliewhite.info/, not .com.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

squidflakes posted:

My god, how offensive! I demand that you take this provocative piece of filth down at once.
The publicity stunts on which he relies are provocative. He's probably the least worthy appearance in this thread.

unleash the unicorn, I hope my anticipated displeasure satisfies you.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

That was the first editioned photographic print I bought.

20x200 have a promotion at the moment: enter code 20XRMN10 for 10% off $100+ orders or 20XRMN20 for 20% off $200+ orders.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Paragon8 posted:

banal stuff especially I think rubs people the wrong way because it just comes across as really low effort despite any explanation or qualification. I'd bet there are more than a few art students that ended up making up some complete bullshit about a photograph of a tea cup or mug they took the night before the assignment was due.
This is for two reasons. Firstly, their intention is not that the final photograph be viewed as the product; this is almost incidental. It is the way of thinking and approaching the subject that is important. It's better to view the photograph as a demonstration of this. Secondly, degree courses are fundamentally practical (concentrating on the technical aspects of photography and lighting) or art-based (concentrating on critical thinking). There is not enough time available to address both in depth.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Whether or not that art is interesting or effective, well, that's a much bigger question. A well-expressed intent gives some leeway and can make boring images become quite interesting if they're curated or presented with an interesting theme, but there's plenty of rampant bullshitting out there too.
The bullshitting turned me off this way of thinking for a long time - and most people one comes across are doing this! - artists and gallery assistants trying to explain works in a way that on the surface fits but is fabricated in retrospect and lacks any content. There are some fantastic essayists though who provoke real change in the way one approaches future work - if that work is in a field where it's appropriate to do so.

A5H posted:

Would it be 'art' if it was digital?
Choice of camera format, lens and filmstock are simply technical considerations to achieve a particular preconceived appearance where one seeks to do so.

I don't think any of this need concern most people.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I've just had a portfolio review with Amy Stein confirmed for next week.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

East Lake posted:

spf3million posted:

These are amazing. Why does the book have to cost $300 :argh:
Terrible isn't it? Who knows if there'll be a reprint.
It's being reprinted by Aperture in September and is currently available for pre-order.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Spedman posted:

I couldn't find the place to pre-order, would be able to provide a link?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1597111945/
http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Davidson-Subway/dp/1597111945/

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I just got an e-mail saying my Bruce Davidson: Subway reprint has been dispatched.

Mitch Epstein's new book Berlin is amazing too; my favourite of his work to date.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Kusters' photographs are very attractive and high quality, but offer a very sterotypical view. It's safe; I demand more from someone who makes such a big deal about it being a "personal account of life inside an inaccessible subculture."

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I really enjoyed Hiroyuki Ito: Lost and Alone Under Tokyo's Red Rain

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Gazmachine posted:

I wasn't terribly sure where the best place to post this was, and I think it sort of fits here, but would anyone know a good place to peruse some awesome photobooks and works in that kind of format? I want to look over a load of great photobooks and look into what I like about them, as I'll be making one of my own, of sorts, at some point this year (when all the content is finished).

It seems to be putting the cart ahead of the horse to publish photography in a format in which you don't consume it.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hyungwon Kang: Store owners defend their property as gunfire breaks out in Koreatown at Western Avenue and 5th Street on April 30

From a multi-photographer gallery of images from the 1992 LA riots at framework.latimes.com

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

J. Carrier: Elementary Calculus

Mack Books posted:

Elementary Calculus, through a series of portraits, landscapes and still life photographs, observes the publicly private moments of these peregrine foreigners as they attempt to connect back to their homes. In his documentation of migrants and refugees in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, Carrier explores the distance between reality and desire – the want for what was and the hope for what will be – and traces the manner in which we navigate the points between the unknowns. His photographs resonate with the sense that in a foreign country geographical distance loses its physical measure and home feels like a hazy memory, a half-remembered dream.

Carrier’s subtle yet striking images of Israel and the West Bank throw up more questions than they answer. What does this influx of foreigners mean in a nation that is defined by ethnicity and competing claims of ownership? And how does this complex situation affect these new varieties of refugees? Is there promise in this land for them?

My copy arrived yesterday and is fantastic.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Thoogsby posted:

can't find a credit for this.

Ye Fei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

By Ian Forsyth, originally posted here