Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I was finally able to quit smoking. I smoked for 12 years, was up to a pack and a half a day. I really didn't want to quit because I enjoyed it a lot but at $6 a pack it was getting too expensive to smoke that much a day and cutting back was nearly impossible.

I had tried in the past to quit for health reasons but like I said, I've always enjoyed it. This time I used the patch and stuck to their program exactly and it worked, I haven't smoked in over 3 months now. I had to cut way back on the drinking in order to pull this off which was very hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Ok, I'm an idiot..maybe. I successfully quit smoking using the patch and sticking with the recommended plan. The first stage patch is unbelievably strong and takes quite a bit to get used to but I stuck it out and got through all the stages.

I was good but my problem is that I enjoy smoking too much to quit altogether. I was a pack and a half smoker for fourteen years and when they went up $6 a pack, I felt that was good enough reason to quit (other than obvious health reasons). So I did. Now however, I have a pack of smokes and so far have been smoking two a day...so, I can still put them down for good and not have withdrawals but I just love to have a smoke now and again. Has anyone ever been successful at keeping this limit down without going back to being a full time smoker? or am I just kidding myself?

I went about 3 months without buying my own pack and just bumming one or two smokes a week while drinking beer. If I want to quit full time I think I'm going to have to give up drinking for about six months or so. As soon as I've got a beer or a drink in me the craving is too great.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Yeah, that's what I figured just needed to hear it from someone. Looks like I'll try to give up drinking for a spell.

• Locked thread