Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I bought an e-cigarette last week and was planning to ween myself slowly off the cigs. I got myself down to about 6 or 7 a day and then I had to go pick up my health check for my job.

They noticed an abnormality in my chest x-ray.

I nearly shat myself - all I was thinking was, IT'S TOO LATE! IT'S TOO LATE! WHY DIDN'T I STOP WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE?!

It turned out to be nothing serious but there was a period of about 10 minutes where I was sure they were going to tell me I had cancer.

Threw my cigs away 5 minutes after walking out of the hospital. I've not had a single desire to smoke normal cigs again, and if i get a craving I just toke the e-cig.

My advice - get yourself scared. It's better to do it now than to have to really go through those emotions later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
3 days into another quit. I don't really feel much of an urge to smoke anymore, and I'm using an e-cig when the cravings get too bad.

I think I've finally come to terms with just how damaging and unpleasant smoking is. I couldn't bring myself to smoke more than 3 or 4 the week before I quit - they just tasted awful and made me feel sluggish and sick.

drat you smoking! I will beat you this time!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I'm 5.5 days into my quit now and I NEARLY cracked just now. I bought a pack on the way home from work, but they remain unopened in the cupboard. Now the craving has subsided, I think I'm going to keep them there just to remind myself that I don't need them!

I like this feeling. Every time I want to smoke I just remind myself that I would be throwing away a week of my life, for the sake of 3 minutes satisfaction. That, and reminding myself that I don't actually like smoking, has got me through the tough ones so far :D

Well done guys!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
10 days into my quit and I feel great. I've gone from being able to run for 15 minutes to running for 45 minutes. I'm spending 2 hours in the gym every other day and it keeps getting easier and easier. I couldn't make myself smoke again; not now I can feel my lungs starting to clear up.

I wasn't a fan of Alan Carr. I read him a year ago and he did pretty much nothing for me at that point. His ideas were good though, and his book definitely put me on the road to quitting. I just had to get there in my own time.

Get the audio book if you want to hear an old man slobbering, slathering and shouting in your ear that YOU NO LONGER NEED TO SMOKE!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Nedsmaster posted:

I quit smoking completely, and I know this is like "famous last words" but from time to time when I go out and party, I will still have one cigarette. In the last couple months since I quit, I've had about 5 cigarettes at random parties. I am smarter now though and I have willpower, I go 2-3 weeks between each one I party. I know it's inherently bad for you, but it can't be as bad as 10 a day. The only thing I'm concerned about is if this is loving up my body's ability to heal. I worry that if I go 3 weeks without smoking and smoke 1 cigarette, I'm back to being cancerous again. I'm also overly paranoid though, as you can see. Can anyone comment on this?

Smoking once every 3 weeks isn't going to harm you. But how long do you think it will stay at that level?

It's way to early for me to be taking the high ground, but the way I see it is if you've truly quit smoking then you don't actually want to smoke anymore.

If you are spending your whole life preventing yourself from having a cig then you're just torturing yourself. Read the Carr book, identify why you want to quit and make the decision never to do it again.

Why, at this point, would a single cig be a treat? To me it would be a huge worry because I'd know that eventually it would lead to another...and another...and another.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Get an e-cig and use it till the thought of smoking tobacco becomes genuinely unappealing. Then start tapering down the nicotine content and quit whenever you feel ready.

Seriously man, anyone having trouble quitting need to get an e-cig.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

Ecigs aren't for everyone though. It's an expensive thing to try out and fail on, but it does work for quite a few people.

A Janty Ego (the best mainstream e-cig) starter kit costs 35 bucks online. You can buy an entire year's worth of kit for $250 dollars. How much does it cost to smoke for a full year, or even a week?

I don't see how you can fail on an e-cig. It's a soft way to quit, you can keep smoking while you learn to use it and eventually you will come to see that it's far, far superior. Find a flavour you like and it becomes even easier - I love the coconut flavours.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171692

Here's the thread.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
5 months off smoking now and I couldn't even make myself smoke now if I wanted to.

I have had one or two in that time but the taste has gotten gradually worse and worse, to the point that I can't even finish 2 puffs now. I can't believe I used to chain two or three of these things between classes. I must have STUNK of cigs to my students.

I'm still using the e-cig, but I've cut my nicotine level down from 24mg to 12 now and I'll be going down to 8 then 4 in the next couple of months.

I do like the e-cig though, 10-20bux a month to (quite) safely maintain the habit isn't really something that worries me.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 16, 2010

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Nearly 6 months of not smoking now. I'm still using e-cigs and have gone down from 24mil nicotine to 12mil in that time. I'm enjoying the e-cig rather too much, but I'll keep pushing the nicotine levels down every time I order a new batch and hopefully once I reach 0 mil it'll be time to stop.

Looking at about a year of e-cigging overall but the advantage of that is once you get into vaping you will NEVER want to smoke regular cigs again. I just introduced my gf's brother to it and he's already quitting the same way.

If you're going cold turkey and feeling like you want cigs then I don't think that's very effective - you have to find a way to actually make yourself NOT WANT them, rather than just deprive yourself of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I've quit for 14 months now. I used to read this thread and wonder how people could manage that.

If you're at the beginning of your quit then you need to focus on the difference it will make in your life. Let me give you a couple of examples.

I felt like I was getting a cold last night so I took some pills and went to bed early and woke up this morning feeling fine. Before that my respiratory system was so weak that I ended up getting a cold every time someone was passing one round - I worked in a school and had a near permanent sniffle. Flu would knock me out for weeks at a time. I've not had a full blown cold since I quit.

Exercise. quitting smoking is supposed to make you gain weight but it also gives you the ability to exercise. I run 8km every other day now where before even going up the stairs would put me out of breath. I've lost 5-6kg since quitting.

Circulation. My leg used to cramp up almost instantly if I lay on it while sleeping, that's gone now.

General mental health. When you're spending every day obsessing over cigarettes you're making yourself feel unhappy. Getting back your sense of self worth is a wonderful thing.

Time, 20 cigs a day, 5 minutes a pop, that's 100 minutes of your day you are wasting every day. You could become fluent in a language if you put that time to better use! It might feel like a break from your routine when you are addicted, but you'll look back and see that it WAS your routine.

• Locked thread