Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K-Rad
Aug 21, 2007
What a tragic waste of potential.
I've been smoking for about 10 years. From the start of 2006 until midway through 2007 I quit, then I moved to China where EVERYONE smokes, EVERYONE offers you a cigarette (including the headmaster of the PRIMARY SCHOOL you're teaching at, and he fully expects you to suck it down with him in front of the kids) and you can get smokes for around 30c USD a packet.

Anyhow, I haven't had a cigarette for a week and a half now and I've been out drinking and partying in that time and am yet to really feel the 'craving' for one. I've achieved this in the same way I quit last time and for those who want to quit 'sometime' but not necessarily right now, here is how I did it:

Step 1: Exercise. ALOT OF IT. Cardio intensive stuff, preferably team sports such as 5-a-side football or something similar. Then you will have 2 reasons to help motivate you to quit; a) So you can keep up! b) so you're not THAT GUY letting the team down by being an unfit piece of poo poo.

Step 2: Wait until you get sick :) Flu/common cold sick. You're an unfit smoker, you WILL get a cold at least every 3-4 months (if you tell me otherwise you're full of poo poo). Next time you do, take this as your chance to stop. Generally (unless you're a loving moron) you smoke less when you're coughing up a lung due to the flu, so take the next step and stop altogether. Those 3 days or so that you feel like dying due to your virus are the PERFECT time to stop smoking as you won't miss it so much when you've bigger things to worry about. Once those 3 days are over, you'll have missed those hardest and initial craving days and you'll find it easier to keep going without.

Step 3: KEEP EXERCISING and take note of your improvements in performance/cardio. These will help spur you on and keep you away from the bungers.

Step 4: Don't think of yourself as someone who has 'quit' cigarettes. Think of yourself as a 'non-smoker'. Purely psychological I know, but it seems to help some!

Good luck, and remember, after a few weeks you wont even miss them, you'll smell nicer and run farther!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K-Rad
Aug 21, 2007
What a tragic waste of potential.

Hugh Malone posted:

I haven't had a cigarette yet today, and am going to attempt a straight up-cold turkey approach.

Whatever you do, do NOT sit around the house and do gently caress all. Everytime you're REALLY hanging for a smoke, go sprint around the block or shoot some hoops or something physical. When you're panting for air you'll remember why you're quitting (for your health!) and also concentrating on whatever you're doing will take away the idle thoughts drifting towards cigarettes.

• Locked thread