Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kolider
Sep 25, 2007
I am currently at the 3 week mark of quitting smoking. Allen Carr's book was a massive help and really made me realize why I smoked and what it was doing to me. I almost find his book to be a reverse-brainwashing type deal because like many others have said, for whatever reason you just don't want to smoke anymore as you continue to read it.

My co-worker also quit in early December but he used Champix. A pack a day smoker for 40 years - never had another smoke about 5 days into the Champix. Crazy stuff.

I do find that I get tired quite early some nights though. Sometimes I want to go to bed at 8:30pm when I normally go to bed at around 10:30. I figure because the brain isn't getting anymore "boosts" throughout the day that it affects sleep somehow.

For people who think having one smoke randomly is OK, don't do it. I failed numerous times thinking this way and always went back to smoking after bumming a smoke off a co-worker or a friend. Smoking just doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kolider
Sep 25, 2007

chippy posted:

Out of interest, how has quitting smoking affected people's caffeine consumption? I'm just coming up to a month smoke-free and mine has dropped massively from several cups of coffee a day to one in the morning, one in the afternoon and a cup of tea when I get in from work. I've found it has a much stronger effect on me, I no longer get an extra shot in my morning one as I get too buzzed from it, and it seems to keep me alert longer.

Of course I've also smoked a lot of weed every day before I quite so that is probably also a factor.

I've found I drink *more* caffeine than I used to. But that is mainly because Pepsi finally released Throwback here in Canada and I love the poo poo.

I do find caffeine affects me a bit more than it used to though. I have heard some former smokers use caffeine as a replacement to nicotine, maybe for the rush factor behind it but I'm not sure.

kolider
Sep 25, 2007

Lyer posted:

Quoting from the 2nd page, 1 year and 5 months ago. It gets easier with time, for a while you'll miss it whenever you smell smoke, but eventually the smell won't trigger any cravings or desire. I'll see people smoke, I've been out to bars and had a few drinks, but after such a long time without having one, I don't have that urge anymore. It feels like a different life when I did used to smoke. For those of you who are feeling like it's a never ending battle of willpower, eventually there will come a time where it gets easy. Hang in there!

I have been smoke free for almost 2 months now but am still not past this "smell" trigger. I don't want to smoke when I am around smokers however after leaving their company I end up having "withdrawal symptoms" for like 2 days. It makes me really irritable and annoyed so after researching a bit on the net it seems that secondhand smoke has nicotine in it. I don't know what to do at this point since I have a lot of friends who smoke and don't want my social life to get messed up because I can't handle second-hand smoke...

Anyone else have this issue?

kolider
Sep 25, 2007

Master Kush posted:

Glad it is helping, any side effects?

The most common side effects I got were very vivid dreaming while sleeping and nausea after taking the 1mg tablets if I didn't take enough water with it. People may notice other side effects but at the end of the day - do you know what the side effects to smoking are?

I tried so many different things like you have in the past and nothing worked until I did Champix - it really does work and you owe it to yourself to at least try it. If you hate it that much, then stop taking it.

kolider
Sep 25, 2007

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

What works best for you guys when it comes to the nicotine replacement? Patches/gum/lozenges? I am going to murder the entire world with a rusty spoon if I keep trying this cold turkey and I'd rather buy something than get fired for being a huge dick

Yeah, it really varies from person to person. Personally, I couldn't stand the replacement stuff. I tried patches for a few days - didn't work. Tried gum for a couple of weeks - didn't work. Tried the inhaler for a little while - didn't hold.

Cold Turkey was really the only way I could do it. 3 days and the nicotine is out of your system then it just becomes a mental battle. Always remember that smoking is two addictions in one: nicotine (drug dependance) and in the mind (a mental thing/a general habit) that needs breaking.

If you can at least get one of the two completely out of the way (in a matter of days) then it gives you a much better chance of kicking the habit altogether. At least in my eyes.

• Locked thread