Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Considering trying to quit again. It's loving tough (obviously). I have tried 3 or 4 times in the past and always relapsed.

I just enjoy it so loving much. I love the feeling of sucking in the smoke and the calming flow of the nicotine through my veins. I can't imagine myself EVER not craving that feeling. Which is what makes smoking so hard. How can I quit something that gives me a feeling I love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Traffic Reporter posted:

If you can get past the lovely 90s web design read This. Is it the feeling of having nicotine you love, or the feeling of being without that you hate?

I would say it's love of the feeling. Like I mentioned above, Its hard to imagine ever not wanting to have that feeling. Is this just the addiction talking?

Will it actually go away with time? I don't know because I've never been able to stay quit for more than a week :smith:

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
It seems to me like e-cigs just prolong the nicotine addiction even longer. Isn't that what we're trying to quit?

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
7-year, about 1/2 pack a day smoker here.

I've tried to quit plenty of times before, failed plenty of times before. This time I'm loving serious. I recently started dating the girl of my dreams, and while she isn't militantly anti smoking, she doesn't smoke and doesn't much care to.

I can't think of a better reason to finally give this gross habit up.

I just slapped a step-1 patch on my arm, this time I want to quit for good. Longest I've ever gone without a smoke is approx 48 hours. Wish me luck GBS :ohdear:

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Just wanted to say I have now gone 48 hours smoke free. While this may seem insignificant to some, this is the longest I have been without a cigarette in over 7 years.

Reading this thread is great motivation to stay quit. Thanks for all the posts everybody.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Update:

Day 5 bitches! Cigarettes can go eat a bag of dicks.

That is all.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
I've smoked reguarly for about the past 10 years or so. Last month I went to go visit my girlfriend in Belgium where she studies. I've been a smoker for the duration of our relationship thus far, and she has never said anything about it/always tolerated my smoking. But over the past 1.5 years things have gotten a lot more serious between us. On my last night in Belgium I lit up a smoke on our way to dinner and she turned to me and said with a smile, "I wish you wouldn't smoke anymore, I want to have you around for as long as possible."

It totally broke my heart to hear her say that. I haven't had another smoke since that moment.

Cold turkey, 3 weeks going strong. :unsmith:

In the past I've tried Chantix, tried patches, tried nico inhalers, but this is longest I've ever stayed quit. I guess it's all about having the right motivation.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I've been on a weekly quit cycle since New Year's. The only thing that sucks me in is if I get way too drunk on the weekend, 'cause then I'll have 3 or 4 from friends, feel gross the next morning, and totally drop it for the rest of the week. This is like the last thing I have to stamp out but it's so hard :(

I had the same challenge. It's easy. Just tell your friends that you're trying to quit and ask them to not give you any cigarettes. If they're good friends, they'll listen and try to be accommodating.

You have to leave the house promising to yourself that you won't smoke that night, and focus on staying strong. If you allow even the even the slightest inkling of "well, maybe later if I'm hammered I might have one" to enter your mind you're going to fail. You have to be resolute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
5 weeks cold turkey. Still going strong :unsmith:

If I can share my opinion, to those of you goons using patches, gum, e-cigs, chantix: just go cold turkey.

I have tried all of the aforementioned products. Yes all of them, and even a few more. This was the only time I tried to quit cold turkey, and it's by far been the most successful quit so far. The way I see it, so long as you are using cessation products you are, on some level, acknowledging to yourself that you are unable to stop under your own willpower. You are admitting to yourself that you are weak and powerless against sucking in this stupid little plant. I think that acknowledgement, no matter how subtle or unconscious, will eventually erode your ability to quit, because you've accepted that you can't do it on your own. When you go cold turkey you have to accept that you have nothing to help you. Nobody to help you. Only you. And you absolutely can do it. Yes you loving can. So nut up and get it done. Don't rely on some pill or patch to do the quitting for you. You have to do it, so just quit already.

I know there are plenty that will disagree with me, and that's fine. In the end, whatever helps you to quit is great. I'm just speaking from my experience. For me, they were all a huge waste of time and money. All I needed to do was just summon the strength to do it myself, and nothing has held me back yet.

• Locked thread