Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
Just got my wisdom teeth out (and haven't been able to smoke due to the horrible possibility of dry-sockets) and decided to pick up Allen Carr's book. I have read it through half-way and yea although his way of writing is sort of obnoxious, it all kind of makes sense. I probably smoked two packs a week for about three years and I haven't had one for over a week (which I can't yet attribute to the book alone...I am taking painkillers for the operation). Still though, I don't have any cravings and will just stop once they remove my stitches.

If you're wondering if Carr's book seems a little shady and 'scammy', all he does is basically reiterate several logical points over-and-over that eventually get drilled into you're head and kind of negate the feeling of 'sacrifice' when quitting. But it's not just like a broken record, he covers a bunch of different topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
I typed up a huge response and accidentally deleted the entire thing before saving or posting, but I'm repeating my response because I'm pretty passionate on the subject.

If you seriously plan on quitting I would really recommend nothing other than Allen Carr's book. Honestly, just suck it up and read it through. It's absolutely lovely writing. He constantly calls cigarette's 'the NASTY WEED' and weird quirky poo poo (WRITING IN CAPS A LOT!!) that makes him sound like a horrible spokesman. But seriously the guy smoked like 100 cigs a day and quit cold turkey one day so he kind of has the right to write a book about it.

I admit this was my logic: I need to quit cigarrette's, it's horrible for my health (I was always coughing). Maybe I should wait to quit until after next year, I hear this year of college is pretty hard from upperclassmen in my major. Maybe I should wait. Nah, gently caress it I need to quit and I'm going to keep giving myself these excuses.

I bought the book, and while reading it I was actually scared that it would work. In fact I kind of bought in on the premise that it wouldn't work (so I could at least say 'gently caress it, I tried' to myself). I soon realized that this way of thinking is testament to how loving addicting this poo poo is.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always had this self-conscious/anxiety associated with smoking cigarettes. It was subtle, sure but there. poo poo like going in an elevator after I've smoked (I don't want them to know!), or if I'm out with friends I don't want to be known as the smoker. Since I've quit, I've realized that this self-conscious feeling permeated to other aspects of my life...Not just smoking. I would go to the gym (believe it or not I did while smoking) and I would always be loving nervous. I just thought it was normal nervous because I'm a shrimp. It affected other situations too, like romantic/personal stuff. You're self-esteem is lowered. But ever since I've stopped smoking and have continued all of these other things I've noticed that all of these anxieties have disappeared. Cigarette's legitimately caused these things. You assume that health is the primary benefit of quitting, but it's only a side effect (at least for me it is).

I'm legitimately happier, I have much better self-esteem, I'm more confident, I feel sharper (I feel literally more intelligent), and yes all the other known quitting stuff is great. I don't wake up with a sore throat every day. My nose isn't congested 24/7 (it is when I'm around people smoking though). I'm a morning person now(with 10000% more energy).

The moral of the story is read Allen's lovely book. I get pissed cause one of my best friends has quit cold turkey without reading it, and every day he tells me how badly he craves cigarette's. He doesn't want to read Allen's book because he doesn't like to be told to read it or some poo poo. He'll read it if he wants to. Whatever. I told him that I'd rather be a conformist than a smoker.

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
I posted awhile back praising the Allen Caar book. I think I started smoking again after a few months of quitting, and then re-read the book and quit again. It's been about a year I think of me quitting and I have no cravings at all and absolutely no desire to smoke again. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that I will smoke if I've had a moderate-severe amount of alcohol (2-3 times a month maybe?). I have literally no craving while sober, or even if I'm a little buzzed, but every now and then when I'm out and drinking a little more than usual I will light up one or two cigs (and then regret it the next morning). This is totally against the caar "There is no such thing as 1 cigarette"... but it's not really affecting me to bad other than a sore throat / regret the following morning. Is this bad? Does anyone else do this?

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008

Twat McTwatterson posted:

But seriously dude... you haven't quit smoking yet. How does that sound? How devastating is that to realize?

Yikes.

Yeah, it's bad news. I think it has more to do with the alcohol consumption than a cig addiction though, only because I do a lot of things I regret when I drink moderate-severe amounts of alcohol. I guess that's not much of a defense though... Replacing cig addiction with alcoholism...

Good to get some perspective on the matter. I will make more of a conscious effort to not smoke under these circumstances.

• Locked thread