Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
provocateur
Sep 22, 2008
I've smoked 50 cigarettes per day for the past few years. I only took notice of how often I smoked in the past 6 months, I've always been too ashamed to keep track. My partner and I spend anywhere between $230- $345 per week on cigarettes. Sometimes more, never less. I'm 25 and have been smoking since I was 15.

It's been 2 days since I've quit. So far it seems hard but not impossible, my mind plays tricks on me (I imagine my hand reaching for a lighter) and I have to constantly counteract whatever thoughts are running through my head, eg: I think I love the taste of cigarettes/ In reality cigarettes taste like nothing but warm toxic air that is choking me.

I've almost given up twice so far, then I realise I don't want to fail. I want to smell again, be able to taste, to not be self conscious of my breath and the list goes on and on. That empty nagging feeling can be strong sometimes, but i'm determined to beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

provocateur
Sep 22, 2008

provocateur posted:

I've smoked 50 cigarettes per day for the past few years. I only took notice of how often I smoked in the past 6 months, I've always been too ashamed to keep track. My partner and I spend anywhere between $230- $345 per week on cigarettes. Sometimes more, never less. I'm 25 and have been smoking since I was 15.

It's been 2 days since I've quit. So far it seems hard but not impossible, my mind plays tricks on me (I imagine my hand reaching for a lighter) and I have to constantly counteract whatever thoughts are running through my head, eg: I think I love the taste of cigarettes/ In reality cigarettes taste like nothing but warm toxic air that is choking me.

I've almost given up twice so far, then I realise I don't want to fail. I want to smell again, be able to taste, to not be self conscious of my breath and the list goes on and on. That empty nagging feeling can be strong sometimes, but i'm determined to beat it.

Well I did it! Both my partner and I haven't touched a cigarette since and have no desire to ever start smoking again. There really aren't any words that express how amazing it feels to have conquered cigarettes.

To anyone that thinks they can't do it, you can! Don't stop trying.

provocateur
Sep 22, 2008

provocateur posted:

I posted that in March of 2011, I haven't touched a cigarette since nor do I have any desire to (my partner too!). Much of it with thanks to Allen Carr and the Easyway method.

The first few days of being a non smoker is a complete mind gently caress. I was very dubious as to how long I would last during the initial first days, a few key points I remember which may help some people out:

-If you find yourself 'bored' without cigerettes, or smoking to pass time, remember that the situation was boring anyway. The real solution to resolving a boring situation is not entering a boring situation regardless, or finding a new way to entertain yourself.

-You know that a withdrawal pang is never strong enough to make you wake up in the middle of sleep, so why should you let it effect you while you're awake.

-The feeling of craving cigarettes is a victory; it means that your body is having a tantrum about not having the nicotine that it's used to have. It means you're defeating the addiction.

Oh, and the orgasms your taste buds will have are worth it alone.

• Locked thread