Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

kylehamilton posted:

Just in case you guys want some help quitting, a lot of people on this thread have mentioned that they used electronic cigarettes to help them quit

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3171692

The only problem with those is for people like my aunt, who have become more addicted to electronic cigarettes than normal smoking.

Says me who sits here constantly inhaling on his >.<

Either way, I'm planning on giving up smoking once my liquid runs out (I have about 4-5 ml of the 54mg mixing liquid, which will probably last me though the new years).

I'll probably sell off my stuff after that as I won't need it anymore. Biggest problem with me is that everyone I know smokes. Friends, family, whatever smokes constantly. My best friend probably does 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day (He works at an iron foundry so he can smoke pretty much anywhere), both my sisters smoke, and my fiancées mom and brother smoke in the house, which makes it an absolute bitch when we make the trip to visit. I may give her mom the rest of my stuff for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

lifenomad posted:

I found that *replacing* cigs with other nicotine will simply not work. The *tine keeps a hold on your brain and you will never lose the urge to quit smoking since you are constantly introducing nicotine to your system.
While most of your post is pretty good, this is crap. People have different methods, some just can't handle cold turkey (My Fiancée can't handle me going cold turkey). Some people will need those alternate methods. Some people aren't addicted to the nicotine as much as they're addicted to habit.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

It's been a month or so since I quit buying. For the most part I don't smoke, unless I get around certain friends. I smoke with them but I never pick it back up, which is a huge loving step (Not smoking around them will be harder, but I only see them every other week or so).

Yesterday though I was with a friend doing some work for my mom, and smoked about 7. I could not loving breathe, at all. I think it's about time to quit being a pussy and take that next step and just not smoke at all. I still haven't had a good drinking session to test that, but we'll see.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I'm back!

I posted in this thread a while back about quitting, and I did. The problem is I ran into probably the biggest hurdle. I was fine around my friends smoking as I wasn't around them all the time, which didn't matter because they were pretty cool about me quitting.

What got me back into smoking was going over to my fiancee's parent's house. We live in NC and they live in Pittsburgh PA. Her mom and brother smoke, but the problem is they smoke in their basement (Where we sleep) all the time, and it's about the only place in the house we stay at. It wouldn't have been so bad but we were there almost two weeks and it kind of kicked back in for me. I can't afford staying at a hotel. It's hard to get out of the house all the time, and I drat well can't ask them to smoke outside, it's not my house and it's not really my family (yet). What can I do to get over even the second hand nicotine intake that gets me back into smoking?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

bort posted:

I quit in February 2009 using the Alan Carr book. It worked great for me, except I would still chip in bars. I was happy (and sort of amazed) I could control the habit until I bought my first health insurance plan. The privilege of smoking is $48 a month for a single healthy male. Jiminy!

Since then, I haven't smoked. Cigarettes are assholes.
Yeah, a lot of insurance companies are making you actually pay for the privilege of causing yourself higher doctor bills and poo poo. My fiancee's insurance company just did that this year, it wasn't quite as steep, but something along $15 or so.

Actually paying for your bad habits? Why I'd never have thought of that.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Well, I've had one today when I woke up. Was the last of the pack. So here comes journey #2, I think this time I'll plow through my fiancee's family's house and keep on not smoking.

I'm already getting cranky.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Schistosity posted:

There was only one slip up. At work this one guy would bum smokes from me all the time and every once in a while buy me a pack. I work in an isolated area where I'm basically trapped for 8 hours a day underground. So I start work and notice that he had tossed a pack into my bucket that has all my supplies. I'm down there, unable to throw out the pack, trying to not think about it. I didn't have a lighter with me, so that was good. But after 8 hours of trying to not think about it, I light one up on the way home and one that evening. Decided that was really dumb so I gave the pack away to a friend and haven't smoked since. Not really feeling the urges either, which I don't understand. No complaints though. I really want to do this this time.
Just a theory from some random person, but I think quitting time and time again, your body gets used to the withdrawls and it doesn't hit you quite as hard.

Good luck, I'm on day 3 now. I've quit smoking, gone from getting up at 8 am to 5 am, quit drinking as much sugar, and trying to eat less in general. I don't think my body knows what the gently caress is going on.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

KingEup posted:

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.dissolvabletobacco.com/

Anything that I can buy in a convenience store off the wall immediately garners distrust in me.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

frozenpeas posted:

Get an e-cig and use it till the thought of smoking tobacco becomes genuinely unappealing. Then start tapering down the nicotine content and quit whenever you feel ready.

Seriously man, anyone having trouble quitting need to get an e-cig.

Ecigs aren't for everyone though. It's an expensive thing to try out and fail on, but it does work for quite a few people.

Biggest problem I had with an Ecig was how much upkeep you had to do. Multiple batteries, niquid, cases, whatever else you had to take care of. Making sure poo poo was charged and all the other mundane things. Cigarettes are so much easier.

Jows: What did you do to quit the first time? Do it again as many times as necessary. You can beat this.

I've had two cigarettes since I quit (A week or so ago). Many people do relapse. Just figure out what you did wrong, quit again and be more prepared for the temptation next time. Quitting something should not take so much work.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

frozenpeas posted:

A Janty Ego (the best mainstream e-cig) starter kit costs 35 bucks online. You can buy an entire year's worth of kit for $250 dollars. How much does it cost to smoke for a full year, or even a week?

I don't see how you can fail on an e-cig. It's a soft way to quit, you can keep smoking while you learn to use it and eventually you will come to see that it's far, far superior. Find a flavour you like and it becomes even easier - I love the coconut flavours.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3171692

Here's the thread.

Holy poo poo that stuff has come down since I tried it.

Either way, It's been a week since I've had a cigarette, and about two now since I "quit" (Had two since then). I've had some really strong cravings this time for some reason. I'm getting through them but drat.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Nicotine is 100% out of your body in 3 days. The tar in your lungs though is going to take a week or so to get most of it out. You'll start feeling better soon. I tell everyone a week to start feeling better.

Keep going at it, it is so worth it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I really need to find another stress reliever than smoking. Smoked a pack the other day (That's a pack and a few cigarettes over the course of what, 3 weeks?). Took me three days to smoke it, and I was forcing myself to smoke it. There is no legitimate reason, but meh. Now I'm stressed and want a cigarette. I'll tough this one out though, too late to go out and get a pack.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Well, here I go again. Was doing good for awhile, I really need to quit succumbing to smoking, especially when at my fiancee's parent's house.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

P.N.T.M. posted:

5 days out of the dark. It definitely gets "easier" the longer I try. I don't feel all that great, but I was having nightmares on the first night, and now I don't, so that is an improvement.

I've heard that you start coughing stuff up after a bit, is that true for everyone? I remember some darker phlegm for a little, but nothing black as sin escaping the hell of my lungs.
Mine was never black, just dark brown and really disgusting (And sticky). Mmm tar.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Well, I'm back at it again. Maybe this time for good? I quit for 4 months last year, picked it back up, quit and started about 5 more times, but this time I'm serious. The hardest problem is going to be boredom.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

You need to find some sort of activity to replace your smoking. If you get a craving, go do some push ups. Hell, go run, do something else. Get that wheezing feeling and remember why you quit.

Also remember: There will be failures. Something like 30 or 40 percent of smokers actually quit on their first try. Key here is to not give up.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Talby posted:

I'm 16 days in and both of these things are true. It's crazy how much it stinks now, just as bad as it stunk when I was young and my dad smoked.

Fresh cigarette smoke smells awesome as poo poo, and I think it always will smell awesome to me. I know a guy who had quit smoking for 10 years and said he still loved the smell of fresh cigarette smoke.

As soon as the cigarette goes out, the story changes. Stale smoke (Ironically enough) has always disgusted me.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Elliptical Dick posted:

The thing that has always broken my quit attempts before though is that there is a tobacconist right across the street, staring me in the face when I leave the grocery shop. Does anyone have any tips on how to block out this trigger?
Shop somewhere else for a few weeks.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Elliptical Dick posted:

yeah thanks.
What do you want? Someone to hold your hand? Beyond that, it's all you. Hell, I used to walk into convenience stores and buy them automatically out of habit. I'd get all embarrassed, but I'd return them and say I quit, most of the time the cashiers would be like "good luck" and take them back. Unless you take your mom or a serious girlfriend, nobody is going to stop you from buying but you.

You sound like me when I'm being a pussy and wanting an excuse to smoke.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

For some reason, the depression, insomnia, and hunger are really bad this time. It's the strangest feeling in the world to realize I'm depressed (and rather short tempered), and it will go away, but god life sucks

The insomnia is getting bad as well. I'm tired as poo poo but can't go to sleep, and when I do sleep I do not wake up for anything. My fiancee leaving in the morning, my alarm clock, nothing wakes me up. The hunger is bad, but I'm trying to counteract that by eating salads. The Italian dressing isn't too good for me, but it's better than coating it in Ranch, which for some reason, I've lost my taste for.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I think I'm finally in the clear (for the most part) again. About a week in from completely quitting (No smoking whatsoever), I had one really REALLY horrible craving where I literally almost talked myself into it. The woman was mad at me for some reason or another, I was cranky, I couldn't sleep, and she said something that pissed me off. The convenience store only being a few hundred feet from the house didn't help. I was telling myself that if I bought a pack, and smoked a few, calmed down, everything would be fine.

I didn't and holy poo poo was it hard to not walk over and get a pack. I've never had a craving for something that badly. This isn't the first time I quit (as per this thread alone ), but this one was especially bad for some awful reason. The next "Challenge" is going to be going to my fiancee's parent's house in a few weeks. Having problems with not buying a pack? Try being cooped up in a room with two smokers, then sleeping in the room. That was what started me last time, but I made some other really bad mistakes with it as well (like buying a carton for a friend, then smoking half of it).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

hisss posted:

I work as a line cook in a high volume/high stress kitchen. There are times you need to leave and that cigarette makes everything better in it's own way (only reason you can leave your station is a smoke).

You will probably never quit while at this job. It's bullshit that you can't leave except to smoke.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Well, I've been about 3 weeks smoke free. It's great having all the support, especially from my girlfriend. "I didn't mention I noticed you stopped smoking because I know as soon as we go to my parent's house next weekend, you'll start smoking again."

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Well, I passed the biggest hurdle so far. Went to my fiancee's mom's house. I smoked a few, but came home with no cravings. Now I'm getting sick.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I actually drink less in general. When I smoked, I always had a drink handy, now that I quit, I barely drink anything, and tend to get dehydrated.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

chippy posted:

One thing I am slightly angry with the world about is that I quite 6 (7? lost count) weeks ago now and I've had a throat infection for the last month or so. This does not seem fair.
I thought I was the only one. Throat's been sore as hell, and it's annoying.

But yeah, I quit in mid January, and I've "cheated" twice, once when we went to my fiancee's parent's house, and once when drinking with a friend.

Speaking of sore throat, I was sick as poo poo, went to a friend's house, drank some, smoked a few cigarettes and felt better. It was the oddest thing. Felt like horseshit the next day. My part time job has been a bitch though, as I sit for hours doing NOTHING, and that was my worst time to smoke.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Oh goddamn. I had a client I had to do a service call for, and she smoked like a freight train. I was physically ill after leaving her place. I'm having a mild craving now that the nausea wore off, but goddamn smoke stinks now.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Well, I should be on month 5 of quitting, but I failed on my vacation to Pittsburgh. I smoked at a friend's house most of the day, and I felt like complete and utter poo poo afterwards, and none of it was self pity. I couldn't breathe, my chest hurt. It's sad I keep having to get reminded how terrible smoking is.

Then again, I haven't picked it back up which is good. No real withdrawals, I just need to quit smoking at all. The smell of fresh cigarettes still smells sweet as poo poo.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Keisari posted:

Analyze what went wrong, devise a new plan and go with it as soon as possible.

This right here is what ultimately helped me quit. Took a shitload of tries, and barring the occasional one when I'm drunk (Which are now disgusting to me too), I've completely been smoke free for almost 6 months.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Holy poo poo, I can run more than a few hundred feet before breathing heavy! I'm still a fat neckbeard goon, but I'll start on that soon enough. At least I know I can run now.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Blue Square posted:

Is it? I'm three weeks into this and with the amount of bullshit I've had to deal with this week I'm wondering if being smoke free is such a great idea. Sure I won't die of cancer but I drat well might suffer a stress related aneurysm.

Keep going. Find another release for stress. poo poo ain't easy by any means, and I still want a cigarette when I get stressed. Finding another outlet is the key to staying quit.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

comaerror posted:

I'm in the middle of day 2 and was about to whine about feeling frustrated, but this made me giggle and suddenly everything was better.

Getting your mind off of it will help immensely. It's surprising hwo much better you feel when you don't even think about it. It's hard as gently caress though when you're bored.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Booties posted:

failed

Or you can think of it as a bump in the road and do it again.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Smegma Enigma posted:

e: Incidentally, I'm now the rear end in a top hat who "quit smoking" but bums cigarettes all the time.
That was one of my quitting attempts. If your friends are nice (Or you keep paying them for the privelege of bumming, I was a terrible bum), you're going to have to quit being a begging bitch on your own at some point.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ColtMcAsskick posted:

After 3 months of cold turkey I had two puffs of a cigarette before I came around...

I have failed myself

Same with everyone else, unfail yourself and start again.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

thom8o posted:

Has anyone else experienced a marked increase in libido after quitting smoking? Carr makes a little aside about it, where he talks awkwardly about being a conservative Brit and not wishing to mention, but it's like night and day up in here.

I was the opposite. My libido died for about a month after quitting. I don't know why, probably some other hosed up chemical in my brain. I'm fine now, but for a while I was wondering if I'd ever desire sex again. I even tried and I just didn't enjoy it. I honestly think it was another mental issue from losing my best friend, nicotine.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Smelly posted:

I am completely done with smoking now.

After two days of not smoking, I snuck a cigarette and smoked it. Well, after doing this, I started throwing up. My body apparently rejected this drat cigarette and now I have zero desire to smoke or even use the Snus I have.

Go body!

Lucky motherfucker

I now get sick when I (attempt) to smoke, and I've started drinking at home. still crave like poo poo when I drink, but getting over it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Stabbing a homeless man for a smoke is only for the first two weeks at most. Anything after that is just them being pussies more or less. I still long for one every once in a while, but the stabbing feelings left pretty early.

I had my first smoking related dream the other night though. I was smoking some cigarette, it was awesome as poo poo and then I had chest pains. Then I woke up. I started to feel guilty and I reminded myself it was just a dream.

gently caress smoking.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

blackmet posted:

I haven't been smoking. I still get the occasional craving, a couple of times a day, but I have not had a cigarette since July the 18th.

I'll make the decision next weekend as to whether or not to continue the patches or add in anything else. Right now, they seem to be working fairly well, but I'm getting close to the end of the proscribed time of using them. I may choose to continue them, but not sure yet.

Honestly, you're going to have to get over cravings at some point anyway. You ultimate goal is to get rid of the nicotine in your system, and that will never happen if you're still on the patch. Pop off the patch, keep the gum/lozenge for emergencies, and just quit. If you're out of your habitual craving (After dinner/driving/most morning smokes) then get over the physical cravings and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

snag posted:

She spent a lot of time researching and fiddling with stuff to get it to work right, if anyone is interested I can post more details.
I don't know if it's still active, but there used to be a huge loving thread on Ecigs here in GBS for the longest time. Full of useful info and goons who know what they're talking about.

I used to use those, but they were too much hassle for me.

• Locked thread
«2 »