Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Squared posted:

Seriously, everyone should read The Easy Way by Allen Carr.

This should be a default reply to 90% of the posts in here.
Even if you're a complete sceptic it will help with the hardest part of 'quitting', the brainwashed idea that you need to or like to smoke. You're just a nicotine addict. Did you like your first smoke and think oh this is loving great, I can't wait to cough my lungs up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Sounds like the patch is just prolonging the physical withdrawal. Be a pro and go 3 days cold turkey, that's the physical addiction gone. Stay strong and remember nicotine only exists to gently caress you over.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

PaoFerro posted:

Does anyone have any tips for this typical one-month mistake? ..... I stopped for a while to build up confidence, which in-turn made me let my guard down.

It's quite simple, are you ready? Don't smoke. That's it. Just don't loving do it. There will always be an excuse if you allow it. A funeral, a party, a bad hair day, driving a car, sitting down, standing up. Don't smoke.

e: it will get easier, a lot easier and you will eventually let your guard down (without smoking). It will take a while, though.

jax fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 22, 2012

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Stick with it, it's annoying waking up hoping the urge to smoke as gone then realising it's still there.

Just remember it gets easier as you go along and one day it will be gone. The fucker may randomly creep up on you again one day but it will be easy to ignore.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
If you still have severe physical withdrawal symptoms after 5 days you should see a doctor, it's likely to be something else.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

RentCavalier posted:

I don't like asking for help very often, but this thread seems to have produced a lot of success stories. Any advice?

Keep trying man. You've got to really drill it into your head how loving stupid and pointless it is to smoke. Re-read this thread, read allen carrs book, make some notes and stick them all over the place if need be.

You know what it's like getting over the physical addiction, once you've done that ask yourself if you really need that 'one' smoke and want to go through all that poo poo again.

You can fight it or accept it's part of the process, whatever works. The feeling/anxiety that you need to smoke to feel normal and relaxed, yeah... it will gently caress right off eventually.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
I think there's also a bit (lot?) of a placebo effect going on with smoking and stress.

Anything that let's you take a 'time out' and take deep breaths for a few minutes will likely relieve stress. I'm not sure that nicotine is the main factor.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Sounds a bit :tinfoil: but yeah thats a thing, "delivery devices for nicotine". Fuckers.

The Insider is a good watch.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

WarMonger posted:

Just curious, what is everyone's favorite part about being an ex-smoker? Let's give the newbies something to look forward to.

Apart from no longer paying exorbitant prices just to slowly kill myself...
Not stinking like poo poo, my clothes not stinking like poo poo and my house not stinking like poo poo.

gently caress. I was brought up in a household full of smoke and smoked to 30 and thought 'yeah it smells a bit but it's only smoke', after stopping I've noticed it's worse than poo poo, seriously it loving reeks.

e: and nicotine (tar) stains, gently caress them too and all the lovely places they sneak their way into.

jax fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 3, 2012

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
It sounds like a really bad idea but I agree with you. Some people, myself included, don't get along with the whole never again thing.

The problem of course is how easy it is to get addicted. I do think it's possible if you're really careful after that 'just one'.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Ninpo posted:

There's a huge logical fallacy in this post here. If you can't stop, you're still addicted. If you're convincing yourself with "just one" you're still addicted.

I meant more like 1 a month or so. It is stupid but I just don't like the idea of never again.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

WonderfulWino posted:

Been smoking for 30 years. Since I was 10. Just met a great woman and gonna give it up. It's only been 10 hours so far and im having serious fits. This is gonna be tough as nails.

Good luck, it gets easier so stick with it.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

letgomyAgo posted:

Think I might finally have given them the boot for good this time!

You have.
Any craving you get now will be easy to shrug off. Well done! :)

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
If you have stopped all nicotine for more than one week then it's all in your head. Have one (don't buy a pack), it will either make you feel ill or do nothing at all.

Then ask yourself if all the benefits of not smoking are worth any perceived benefits you might have of becoming a nicotine addict again.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Yeah one week is a bit optimistic (and bad advice!), though that's the time it took for me to notice no effect.

Probably not universal but most people I know noticed the same thing, that sense of relief and pleasure didn't happen once the nicotine left the system. Basically once you get to a certain time period you're not depriving yourself of something (physically) pleasurable, there's no addiction to feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Sophonax posted:

I just quit smoking last night. First time I've ever tried quitting, actually. And, doing it in a high stress situation! Woo!

Thank you for this thread, goons. I've got hope now. Unfortunately, all the the eCig recommendations make sense and yet here I am unable to afford one.

This will be rough as I am a 9 year smoke and coming off of about a half to a full pack a day habit. I'm already preparing for a relapse and planning it's defeat.

Stick it out for a few days, it gets easier. Remember nicotine is the cause not the cure!

• Locked thread