Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
It's not exactly hard to do, it's all just about breaking habits. I smoked for about two years or so, with one year of that being a pack a day. I stopped sometime mid-october, I'm not quite sure.

My best tips for everyone out there trying -

1. The first three days are the worst. Try to have not much to do for those three days so you can spend it frustrated without caving in.

2. Yes, having just one cigarette will eventually put you back at square one. It will feel great, I'll be honest, but it feels great for about five minutes, and then you'll want another one, which ends up ruining weeks worth of work.

3. A great motivation tool I used was food. Slowly but surely, everything has started to taste better, and that's loving awesome.

4. Try to take a weekly run, even if you don't normally run. Over time, you'll notice it gets drastically easier, and that's another drat good motivator.

Speaking from the other side, my friends - it is worth it. Stop as soon as you can, it's pretty great to be free from nicotine.

This is a rather specific tip, but if you smoke weed and own a vaporizer, save your vaporized weed, and if the craving to smoke something becomes overwhelming, smoke the vaporized weed in a nasty joint. You really won't get very high, but at least you'll have fulfilled that smoking craving. This doesn't exactly work in certain situations I guess, but it helped me stem the craving for the first few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I quit in October and months later I've never felt healthier in my entire life. Pack a day smoker to cold turkey.

You can do it, don't worry. It's not hard. Reading Whyquit.com every time I had a craving was honestly a big help, a lot of the articles there make sense.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I... I fell. I failed. I smoked one cigarette three weeks ago, thought I would be fine, and here I am today. I've smoked three packs in three days. I'm miserable about this but I can't escape... and I'm about to start a new full-time job on monday for the summer.

I doomed myself. Stay strong, my friends...Even after not smoking for over half a year, one cigarette put me back at my exact old level of consumption.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

hammeredspace posted:

It's been 12 days since my last cigarette and this poo poo sucks I hate it I hate it I hate auuuugggghhh gently caress it all why does anything good on this planet have to be loving horrible for you.

If it's any consolation, in about one more week you're probably going to feel fantastic :unsmith:

Congratulations on making it 12 days, keep on it and you can do it :cool:

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Haven't smoked since about a week before New Years. Still going strong. Had a couple of strong cravings, but it's going well.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Oh, hello thread. Saw this at the top, and realized that I haven't smoked a cigarette in at least a month now. Quit about two weeks before my 22nd birthday because I got really sick, and I've been free since. Had a nasty cough for awhile that would wake me up in the middle of the night.

Went on a bike ride today - I'm graduating from college soon, and I wanted to appreciate Santa Cruz one more time. There's a beautiful road, West Cliff Drive, that is rather high class and goes along the ocean. It has a nasty wind to bike into, though, and I used to give up about halfway down the road because biking into the wind is a huge pain... I haven't gone a ride since I quit, though. I not only rode against one of the toughest winds I've ever encountered, I also did it much faster than I usually do, and I also not only hit the end of the road, I also decided to bike up a huge hill to go over to my friends place and share a few brews.

Feels good to be able to bike forever again. It's worth the two-three weeks of lovely, folks.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

For anyone who thinks they can't do it - I quit while in the middle of one of my most difficult quarters in college. It was also my last quarter, so if I screwed up, I was extra-hosed. I was also going through a very weird and somewhat bad break-up, and I was just pretty depressed about my life situation in general. I was stressed the gently caress out - and after about a week, being able to wake up and not take a walk-of-shame to the smoking spot where I lived was actually a wonderful feeling.

Life is always stressful. Cigarettes just suck.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Coming up on one year quit. I can run for miles, I can taste food, and I've saved thousands of dollars, most of which I am using to pay off my student loan.

Feels good.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I just realized it's been way over a year since I smoked. Pack a day habit down to nothing.

You guys can do it! The other side is real, and it is wonderful! I can breathe deep and I don't cough up black stuff!

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

T Fowl posted:

What are thoughts on enjoying a fine cigar once in a blue moon if you have quit? I guess most of you belive that is a major risk to going back to full smoker so best to just avoid all tobacco?

I don't agree with the above posts. I was a pack-a-day smoker for two years. It took me multiple attempts to finally quit. I've been off cigarettes for over a year now, and I still enjoy the occasional cigar or bowl of hookah with my friends. Occasional being once every few months, if even that often. I barely touch them. I was a cigar nerd before cigarettes, and I continue to be one post-cigarettes.

I will say that after a cigar, I sometimes get that little craving in the back of my head, but I find it incredibly easy to ignore at this point in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

WarMonger posted:

Just curious, what is everyone's favorite part about being an ex-smoker? Let's give the newbies something to look forward to.

I don't cough up black stuff anymore. I don't cough up anything, in fact.

I have more energy, all the time. I don't get bogged down with a craving. I don't get frustrated over stupid poo poo and "need a smoke."

I don't smell like poo poo anymore. Yes, smokers, you smell like poo poo, all the time. All of your clothes smell like poo poo. Jackets I used to wear when I smoked still smell of smoke around the arms, years later. My breath doesn't stink anymore. My teeth are white, and my fingernails aren't stained.

Life is good.

• Locked thread