Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Nerdmann posted:

And also, has anyone used Wellbutrin to quit smoking or do they prescribe that anymore? I remember when I took a really low dose of it I did quit for a few months because it made me sick when I smoked. I am scared to try Chantix because of the side efects.

I've heard worse things about side effects from welbutrin rather than chantix. As I understand it chantix takes away the buzz/relief you get from smoking, where as welbutrin just makes you feel lovely when you smoke. I've known people that had a lot of success with chantix when welbutrin has failed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Squidfist posted:

so really I can't relate to people who find it to be a super challenging thing to do.

How many do you smoke per day when you do have money? When you run out of money have you tried making it a permanent thing, or do you keep reminding yourself it is only a few days? I've never known anyone who has smoked for 20 years and then had no problem quitting, so maybe it is the best time to quit while you find it so easy :)

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Squidfist posted:

As for quitting before it becomes more difficult, I may just do that. I just ran out 20 mins ago.

New study finds that the odds of unplanned quit smoking attempts having long term success are 2.6 times higher than for planned attempts.

Rock that poo poo bro! :hfive:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Shizmo posted:

I do not ever exceed three cigarettes a day and swim and exercise daily; been smoking Luckys for about two-three months. I ask, am I addicted?

That was a serious question...

86.8% of students who smoke nicotine at least once daily are chemically dependent under DSM IV mental health standards.

Via http://whyquit.com (Probably the best online resource for this kind of stuff. Everything on this site is worth a read if you smoke or are in the process of quitting.) You may not be a student, but I don't think that really affects the meat of the statement.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

GhostDog posted:

I didn't cough at all, and I smoked 20 a day for 20 years. Does that mean that my lungs are already destroyed? Or do they have some miraculous self-cleaning abilities and I could have just kept on smoking?

My guess would be super powers. Go grab a carton, Gotham needs a hero.

How they affect everyone will always be different person to person. Odds are your breathing had just become so shallow you couldn't get enough air in there to irritate your lungs into coughing.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

electricsugar posted:

Considering trying to quit again. It's loving tough (obviously). I have tried 3 or 4 times in the past and always relapsed.

I just enjoy it so loving much. I love the feeling of sucking in the smoke and the calming flow of the nicotine through my veins. I can't imagine myself EVER not craving that feeling. Which is what makes smoking so hard. How can I quit something that gives me a feeling I love?

If you can get past the lovely 90s web design read This. Is it the feeling of having nicotine you love, or the feeling of being without that you hate?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

electricsugar posted:

I would say it's love of the feeling. Like I mentioned above, Its hard to imagine ever not wanting to have that feeling. Is this just the addiction talking?

Will it actually go away with time? I don't know because I've never been able to stay quit for more than a week :smith:

Yes and yes. :unsmith:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Talby posted:

Made it my new years resolution to quit smoking, with the motivation being that my new amazing girlfriend hates it. my last cigarette was the evening of december 31st, and while there have been a couple times i've thought that i could really use a cigarette, i haven't had one of those ARRGRHGGHHH I NEED ONE RIGHT NOW moments. slightly over 3 days in, and going strong!

It seems like everyone is due for at least one of those, and just because you made it past the first 3 days doesn't mean you're home free. But the good news is knowing that it will come will make you better prepared to handle it when it does. Hang tough duder!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

chippy posted:

Aren't you completing ignoring one of the first things the book tells you to do?

If it worked, does it really matter?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Swoon posted:

Thanks! I'm hoping to get better control of my irritability. Really felt like poo poo after going Satanic on him.

I wish I had a speed bag or a heavy bag, I think it would help during those freakouts.

It does get easier. Your body is throwing a fit because it wants its sweet sweet nicotine and you said no. A punching bag isn't a terrible idea, although I wonder how much you would then associate a craving with throwing a punch... Doing a bunch of pushups and situps or basic calisthenics is nice because if you do enough you're too tired for that crave-rage to turn into anything more than a silent frustration, or alternatively, more situps.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Space Monster posted:

I think I could quit easily if I weren't such a pothead. I just have to have a cigarette after weed...best feeling.

Throw your pack out and when you get your next post-bowl craving, just pack another bowl/roll another doober. You might be surprised how quickly the craving goes away while just doing something with your hands. If you're still jonesing after you pack the bowl, just smoke it until you're too blazed to leave the house. If you can do that for a few weeks you wont even associate the two by the end of it :350:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Davfff posted:

1 week so far after 5ish years on and off (mostly on) and doing OK. Someone mentioned that thinking about caving after X amount of days, weeks, months, for only 5 minutes of enjoyment followed by a whole heap of feeling crap was enough to get me through some tough times.

A colleague of mine dumped smoking cold turkey after a decade and didn't look back once, setting him as a yard stick to compare myself against has helped as well (I.E I'm just as good as him!).

The first few days weren't hard at all, but the last couple of days have been tough and things seem to be getting tougher.

Certainly have had a few nights where sleeping was difficult, and yet, had nights were I'm out like a light when my head hits the pillow (which is not common for me).

I think re-wiring myself away from focusing on the positives of smoking, and onto how much I enjoy the positives of not smoking, I'll be A-OK.

Once the crazy physical stuff is over can be the hardest, because then you're going up against your own mind. But luckily your mind is what can get you out of it. Writing out your reasons for quitting is helpful because you can set down in concrete terms why you quit. Looking up the health benefits and stuff helps as well since it gets you in the mindset of "this is bad" in a general way, and if you let that color your perception of cravings instead of thinking "this is something enjoyable that I miss" it becomes much easier to realize what a dummy you are for thinking you should just have that smoke.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

fredor posted:

I just started smoking djarums. I don't actually inhale into my lungs though. They are just so tasty in the mouth.

Why do people come here to post that they've started smoking? Did you read any of this thread? I can only assume you haven't since there isn't any good reason to start down the road that leads to the horrible poo poo people have described in this thread.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Das Goof posted:

Smoking sucks. I've been smoking on and off for the past 4 years and I think it is time for me to take the plunge and give up for good. Starting... Now.

Wish me luck. :)

Good luck. Remember to have something for your hands to do and if you can't stop yourself from driving towards the gas station, steer yourself to a book store and pick up the Alan Carr book instead. It will pay for itself almost instantly.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Sabaka posted:

I'm starting to realize that the only hope I have of quitting smoking is to quit drinking almost entirely as well. This is bad for my social life and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I went the other way with it. Want a smoke? Finish your glass and get another drink! Can't smoke if you're asleep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

gnomers posted:

I been smoke free since Monday morning at 5:30 am. I am using the patch and so far it has been working for me. I been a smoker for over 16 years and was up to a two packs a day. I felt like crap all the time. Since I quit I noticed that my breathing is getting better and not smelling like a smokestack is a plus. Also, I have saved around 60 dollars in 5 days. So now I am wondering what I will do with all this new found expendable income I now have.

Spend it on a gym membership. Nothing reinforces what a terrible idea filling your lungs with smoke is like a good bit of running.

• Locked thread